C/Y mount Sigma lens

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I am thinking of getting a 28-70 C/Y mount sigma lens ( ffordes, 25£). Has anybody used it, or a similar sigma lens. I am guessing it will date from the 80s or early 90s.

I know Sigma makes very good crop lens these days; but how was it back then

Ujjwal

Their build quality was rubbish back then, yet some of the wide angles are still sought after. You can easily get a suitable Tamron Adaptall-2 mount and a decent quality Tamron lens. I don't know whether Tokina provided anything with that mount.

I have to disagree with Photon

I used to sell Sigma lens back in the day before digi and Sigma or Tamron where the two biggest independent sellers of lens.

Occassionally there was a bad lens but overall I would rate them very well, in fact I used to borrow used Sigma lens at the weekend and I found them to be very good.

Why not go for a Yashica 35-70 Ujjwal?

Arthur

**Edit - thinking about it, I have a couple of M42 adapters here...

I used to sell Sigma lens back in the day before digi and Sigma or Tamron where the two biggest independent sellers of lens.

I'd have to agree. In my retailing years Sigma, Vivitar and Tokina were well regarded lenses with Tamron possibly being the best one. However, I don't know if Tokina made them with a Contax/Yashica mount. But Vivitar certainly did, and Tamron made fittings for it.

The worst lenses I remember seeing was from a manufacturer called Makinon. These were very cheap lenses to buy, and it showed. One in particular I remember was the 28-80mm zoom which was one-touch, and if you zoomed out with too much force, it would literally come apart in your hands. It had to be seen to be believed!

I've never tried a Sigma manual focus zoom. I've still got both the 28mm and 24mm MF primes and the aperture ring feel is awful; the markings wear off; a mounting alignment blob dropped off; the petal hoods clip on so they won't fit in reverse or allow the cap to be fitted at the same time. But optically they are well regarded.

The Tokina RMC and (later and better) SD and SZ-X ranges were available in C/Y mount. Some other options are listed at: http://www.photodo.com/products.html?mountid=49&name=Yashica+Contax/CY

Thanks everyone.

Arthur, I would have liked to get a 35-70 Yashica; but cant locate one. Plus I am guessing it will be expensive.

I 'll look around for a Vivitar and Tokina and Tamron to see what price they go for.

Ujjwal

I happen to know there's one on Ebay right now, fitted to an FX-D with a motor drive...

Arthur
whistle.gif

Mifsuds have a Yashica 35-70 in there used bit for £29

How is this lens? And how easy/difficult is it to fix loose screw

Super Paragon 28-100mm f3.5 PMCII auto zoom lens (No.K8400729) in Contax/Yashica bayonet mount

Exc 90%. clean barrel, smooth focusing. Very clean optics. All working but barrel looose & needs screws tightening

Back