Cable release extension

Edit My Images
No
Hi
Does anyone know where I can source a length of cable release extension. Or know the part required to link my timer release to the camera.

It is a standard fit, but I need a length of flex to sit between it and and the camera, otherwise it sits horizontally, and can only be used with the lens hood removed as it doesn't fit in the small gap. (Camera is a Hasselblad 500 series)

Last edited:
The male screw on your self timer should screw into the threaded hole on the old vintage camera's shutter button.
This image should demonstrate Some camera manufacturers would put this threaded cable release hole elsewhere on the camera.

The male screw on your self timer should screw into the threaded hole on the old vintage camera's shutter button.
This image should demonstrate Some camera manufacturers would put this threaded cable release hole elsewhere on the camera.

Yes it does fit, however because it is a Hasselblad, the shutter is front bottom right so awkward to get to. It sits at a horizontal angle and the lens hood has to be removed to allow it to fit.

I'm looking for a cable to fit between this and the camera, so I can use it like a normal cable release, if such a thing exists.

I can only find short ones. E.g http://www.walkercameras.com/a_cable-release-and-extensions.html
8cm for £25. There must be something longer.

Would an 'L' shaped adaptor do the job, there are several listed at B&H in the USA ... LINK

They have several bits and pieces for the old type cable release on that page if you scroll down

You may be able to source them closer to home, if not I think B&H will ship to the UK

Could you not get a used lens hood and mod the hood to allow one to fit?

Could you not take a regular shutter release cable, cut off the thumb plunger and solder it to the wire plunger in the Prontor? The Prontor and the top-end of the extension may need to be clamped in position relative to each other (small piece of mdf) to prevent the Prontor just pushing the extension away from itself. It will probably be easier adapting a purpose made shutter release as the extension. Faffing around with a length of Bowden cable would be cheaper (available from any bike/model shop) but a shutter cable will have the rigid plunger already attached at the far end and the shutter screw connection.

Back