Cable Release

Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post.

I have a Fuji S9600 and being a complete novice in the world of photography I am looking for some advice on which type of cable release to use.

I believe that there are 4 types, (1) a wireless infrared remote control, (2) a cable USB remote control, (3) an ordinary push button cable type, (4) and one that uses air to press the shutter button (is this right?)

My question is which is the best type for my camera?

If one of the cable types are best, can anyone tell me which one I need because the manual does not mention anything about them, and I need to know what size the threaded connection is on top of the shutter button.

I like the idea of the wireless infrared remote control, but I suspect that the problem with this would be that the remote would have to be in frount of the camera before I press the button.

Finally where is the best place on the net to get the above.

I am sorry if this is one of those questions that have been asked 1000's of times, but I really am a complete novice.:crying:

Any advice will be greatfully received

All the best

Mickey

Hi Mickey

I would advise against a infrared one, as you have pointed out your have to be pointing at the front of the camera and thats sometimes not possible. I think the one that I have would be classed as a push button cable type, I seem to have misplaced it so can't check what model it is to verify that :(

Rob

p.s. if I have misplaced it and anyone is going to Ingleton waterfalls in Yorkshire - keep your eye's open :)

I dunno anything about your camera Mickey, but I'd think any modern camera has an electronic type cable release which usually plugs into a socket in the camera body somewhere. The bad news is they're normally not cheap.

The simple mechanical type were found on older cameras and they usually just screwed into a threaded hole in the shutter button, did the job just as well, and you'd get a good one for under a tenner. :shrug:

If your camera does indeed have a threaded hole in the shutter button, then consider yourself lucky as it looks like you can use a mechanical one and the screw thread is a standard size. Get one a couple of feet long at least to avoid pulling on the cable and jarring the camera. Get a lockable one too which means you can lock the shutter open for long time exposures without having to keep your thumb on the plunger.

They all pretty much look like this...

22256779.jpg

I have a Jessops one for my S9500 and I believe it's the same thread on the S9600.
My cable is the " 20in(50.8cm)*CABLE RELEASE 20V " that's what it says on the packet.:)
I think it was just under £10.

Thanks Guys and Girls for your fast replies.

I did think that because the remote would need to be in front the camera, the infrared type would be a non starter.

Susane, I have read that the S9600 replaced the S9500 and that they did not change much, so I am sure the threaded shutter button is still the same, and with this in mind I would would have thought that the cable release you bought from Jessops should fit mine.

Once again many thanks for your quick replies.

All the best

Mickey.

Susane, I am sure that this is another stupid question, but here goes anyway.:embarrassed::embarrassed:

Can your cable be pushed down halfway to focus the shot, as you would do when you use the shutter button itself?:wave: I'll get my coat:wave:

All the best

Mickey

Yup, just press gently like you would on the actual shutter button, focus clicks in then press all the way, job done.(y)

Back