Cactus v2's + Canon G9??

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I've been trying all night but to no avail to get my cactus v2's working with the G9. They work fine every time on the 40D, but on the G9 it refuses to fire.

Is there a mod or similar I can do to get them working with the G9 at all?

Thanks in advance

Yeah tried that as well, couldn't get them to fire at all :(

Are they V2 or V2s? I wasn't sure when you put "V2's" There may be an issue with the older V2 model, but certainly my V2s models work on the G9 with no problems whatsoever (apart for the usual Cactus misfire ones :LOL:)

Another idea to try is one hghlighted by David Hobby of Strobist fame, that is using a "neutered" Nikon SC-17/28/29 to fire the flash off camera. I would imagine you can use any off-camera cable, as long as it fits the G9's standard hotsoe (ie not a Minolta cable) and you snip the right cables so that the ttl, e-ttl or with the flash whatever, function no longer works.

That way you can get the G9 to work at up to 1/2000 second (against 1/250 in standard mode). I've modded an aftermarket SC-28 (cost under £20) and it works a treat. The higher shutter speeds available mean you can create different effects and even totally overpower the ambient light, turning day into night :D

If anyone wants details on which cables to snip (this also applies to the Nikon D50/70/70s and D40, but not the D40x), then drop me a pm

Ah they are just V2 ones, so perhaps that's the problem then! Thanks very much for the info, at least they work fine with the DSLR so that's ok I guess, just would have been nice to be able to use them from the G9 as well.

Out of intrest, if i use these (it said on teh auction they were for canon) on a nikon, still to control a canon speedlite, will that be ok? I.e they wont harm the camera at all?

Thanks

Out of intrest, if i use these (it said on teh auction they were for canon) on a nikon, still to control a canon speedlite, will that be ok? I.e they wont harm the camera at all?

Thanks

No, it should be fine. GI have a habit of listing the stuff the sell umpteen times, each auction mentioning a different camera brand, but it's the same product they ship, regardless of which listing you buy from.

If you are in any way concerned that any product will damage your camera, however, the best thing to do is drop a quick email to the vendor and put the question to them :)

Back