Cadwell Park Advice...

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip to Oulton Park last weekend for the first time and was very impressed by the circuit and the viewing points, now thinking about taking a trip to Cadwell Park for the BSB later in the year, what's it like for photographers around the mountain area? I know i'll have to get there early to get a good spot on the friday and saturday, but does it have chanlink fencing all the way around (hardly any at Oulton!)?

I presume only official photographers can get onto the infield opposite the mountain?

What are the other corners like on the circuit?

Thanks in advance!

Cadwell is my local circuit and is absolutely unrivalled ,in my humble opinion,in photo opportunities. Obviously the mountain is the big draw,but you will struggle to get a good shot from the top of the mountain unless you pay extra to sit in one of the 2 grandstands. You are still likely to get your view blocked by the many TOG's who stand there with press passes. Try taking shots from the bottom of the mountain looking up to the top for a different viewpoint.You will still get some "airtime " shots but from behind.There is also the left hander just before the mountain where you are looking down onto the bikes for real close up stuff. There is also hall bends which is very under rated,with a nice left hand bend with a little right left flick just after it (another good shot from behind on the first lap as the riders are still bunched together and going away from you.) The first corner on the circuit,"Coppice" is a real tester as the riders will be doing approx. 120-130mph as they come past you. The following corner,Charlies,is good as riders come towards you. Especially on the first corner of each race as the bunched up riders come over the crest of the hill with woodland in the back ground. The only large part of the circuit that has catch fencing is round the top of the circuit at "Chris curve" so I wouldn't bother there. (There is also a small section at the bottom of the mountain itself.)
The one piece of advice I would give is go on Friday and Saturday to take photos and forget about it on sunday as it gets absolutely rammed with people,unless you pick one spot and just stay there all day. The majority of corners only require a 70-200 lens as you are literally 15 to 20 feet from the bikes at a lot of the track.

thanks for the responses guys!

Big Rob, thanks for that, i'll bear it all in mind. Is the fencing around the mountain waist height or is it taller than head height? If i go i'll only be going on the friday and saturday.

The tall section of catch fencing that runs up the side of the mountain is head height.Its no real loss as you cant see that much from there anyway. The fence round all the lower part is just 4 thin wires I think. Good luck.
I must get round to actually posting some photos on here,it might give you some idea of the views and opportunities Cadwell provides.

Last edited:
The tall section of catch fencing that runs up the side of the mountain is head height.Its no real loss as you cant see that much from there anyway. The fence round all the lower part is just 4 thin wires I think. Good luck.
I must get round to actually posting some photos on here,it might give you some idea of the views and opportunities Cadwell provides.

Any chance you could post a few photos? Are you able to stand with the grandstand on your right at the mountain so it's more of a front on shot?

It's an awesome circuit Sam. You'll enjoy it mate. Make sure you get around it, some nice "racing" shots can be had in the open part of the track away from the Mountain.

Hope the weathers good I'm heading up on Sunday !!

Back