Cadwest 16th,17th,18th June

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
A few more from my trip last week. Can't wait to get back up there. :)

DSC_0474800.jpg

DSC_0484800.jpg

DSC_0495800.jpg

The French Alphas didn't go as low as we had hoped.
DSC_0352800.jpg

DSC_0379800.jpg

DSC_0385800.jpg

Kev.

Sorry Kev,but having seen loads of these type of shots now from lots of posters ,however good technically they are starting to lose appeal as they just like close cropped rally or racing car shots,showing nothing of the wonderful terrain and landscape.

They could be anywhere .

This is not a crit of you ,but generally .

When light is really good like this you are missing a trick imho,but suspect you did shoot some broader stuff,so lets see it please.

Pons

Kev you were the gentleman who kindly gave me some paracetamol when I was very hung over on Thursday, it certainly did the trick so thank you for that! I remember over hearing you say your name on the phone and thought it sounded familar, it's only just clicked seeing it on here! Will introduce myself properly if I see you in the hills again!

Love the Tornado special tail, fantastic catch! I was with Charlie (C_Robinson) and we originally planned to do the Friday, but were happy with what we got from Monday - Thursday so called it a week at that! Wish we stayed now, oh well! Was #1 the Tornado on Thursday? I didn't manage to get any fluff on mine, but that's probably because it massively overfilled the frame for me at the same point!

Pons, go up there and try it yourself before you start blabbing the same old things! ;)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Pons, go up there and try it yourself before you start blabbing the same old things!

Still valid ,though nobody likes any crit do they,just smoke up the arse.

Kev,
That's not a go at you mate,but generally I rarely post crit these days as posters get arsey.

I'll not get arsey mate. I understand what you are saying Chris. But thats the whole idea behind lowlevel photography. Capturing the detail in an aircraft thats doing 400+ knots. Not easy.
The more detail the better. It is sometimes nice to see a bit of backdrop, but it really isn't a requirement for this kind of shooting.
Maybe you should give it a try sometime and look at it from our side. We have plenty of time to soak in the stunning countryside whilst waiting. I'll bet every lowlevel togger has landscape shots of the area. :D
But you've got to admit, as stunning as the scenery is, it does nothing for the aircraft detail.

DSC_0291.jpg

Just different things float different boats. :shrug: I very rarely look at landscapes. I dont get the buzz. So choose not to look.

Regards

Kev.

the guy in the rear seat of the 1st image giving you a lovely gesture lol?

Kev you were the gentleman who kindly gave me some paracetamol when I was very hung over on Thursday, it certainly did the trick so thank you for that!

Cheers,

Hi Jim. Boy did you look rough! :D I felt for you mate. I always suffer with bad hangovers. I try not to get to that point anymore. ;)
I was very impressed that you even got up there feeling like that. I'm glad the tablets worked anyway.
Maybe see you up there again sometime... (y)
The fluff shot was from Friday according the exif detail. Looks like you double missed out.... :LOL:

Kev.

Last edited:
Superb shots.

I think the Mach' loop is a special place. I took my kids up there a few weeks ago. We saw nothing but it was really nice to chat to a couple of the togs up the hillside. :)

I will return!

But thats the whole idea behind lowlevel photography. Capturing the detail in an aircraft thats doing 400+ knots. Not easy.
The more detail the better. It is sometimes nice to see a bit of backdrop, but it really isn't a requirement for this kind of shooting.

Kev ,who says that's the whole idea behind low level photography?

Surely everyone has there own interpretation.

Imho,the very best shots I have seen from low level shooting show everything,though I totally realise the skill ,dedication and sheer effort involved in these type of shots.

I also realise how defensive folk are on this type of shooting ,so am happy to leave you all to it,and will only make nice comments in future ,or more likely not at all,then you will all be happy.
Pons

Went for my first vist this week - a great place a a lovely atmosphere with the togs up there. Like the sharpness in your first shot, amzingly crisp detail on the Tornado. If I get brave I may post a few of mine.

The Pons, how do boy?

With all due respect, Not every subject deserves the 'wider' view, i personally don't think it works on sports shots, not every time, not without something special, a sunset, red arrows over twickenham, yeah fine. Low Level...Again, a sunset deserves a long shot of a jet over the lake for example....but you need that something special, just like rallying, you wouldn't shoot a wide shot of a s/v with no scenery.

C, The former record shooter...

The Pons, how do boy?

With all due respect, Not every subject deserves the 'wider' view, i personally don't think it works on sports shots, not every time, not without something special, a sunset, red arrows over twickenham, yeah fine. Low Level...Again, a sunset deserves a long shot of a jet over the lake for example....but you need that something special, just like rallying, you wouldn't shoot a wide shot of a s/v with no scenery.

C, The former record shooter...

Of course it does,Sir Charles,no question:LOL::wave:
Big Badboy Pons,keeper of the faith,at her majesties pleasure.
HMP ,Wormwood Scrubs.

Kev ,who says that's the whole idea behind low level photography?

Surely everyone has there own interpretation.

Imho,the very best shots I have seen from low level shooting show everything,though I totally realise the skill ,dedication and sheer effort involved in these type of shots.

I also realise how defensive folk are on this type of shooting ,so am happy to leave you all to it,and will only make nice comments in future ,or more likely not at all,then you will all be happy.
Pons

Hi Chris.
I'm not sure where you're trying to take this. I said that I understood where you were coming from. I made it very clear that I wasn't on the defence or arsey as you say some get.
But you continue to make references about having to make 'nice comments'. I don't know if you had had bad replies in the past about such comments that you have made. I've not followed any of your threads. But when you say 'leave you all to it', you suddenly include me with the crowd.
I like genuine constructive critiscm that can be discussed. As I was attempting.
With regards to the close up shots, the fact that you see so many on the forums, both aviation and sports, shows that it is popular. I've tried to explain it from the aviation side. Maybe you should join me on the next trip up there and have a cracking day out and talk to the guys that do it.
I've not met one yet that is unapproachable. It's just good banter all day long. (y) :)

Kev.

Hey Kev,

I dunno what that chippy bloke is getting worked up about but from someone who's only ever shot planes once these look superb! The detail and obvious excellent timing; really fab (y)

Chippy bloke - you may wish to see a different interpretation of this type of aircraft photography but don't pee on Kev's parade - go out and show the rest of us your way of doing it.

Kev - let me know when you next go over there - I'd love to tag along:). BTW where is this place?

You're more than welcome Ryan. Next trip is October mate. so plenty of time and maybe a slower period for you?
I really don't mind constructive critiscm. Chris has his opinions and I respect that. He doesn't obviously understand what we are looking for in these kind of shots. (yes it is what almost every aviation togger is after)
Some even crop a lot tighter for cockpit shots. It's all about sharpness and detail and capturing it at that kind of speed. Trying to get that perfect shot. Which we never achieve, because the next challenge is usually hurtling towards us.
Horses for courses. I don't like train shots. I find then very boring. But thats why I don't look at them.

Kev.

You're more than welcome Ryan. Next trip is October mate. so plenty of time and maybe a slower period for you?
I really don't mind constructive critiscm. Chris has his opinions and I respect that. He doesn't obviously understand what we are looking for in these kind of shots. (yes it is what almost every aviation togger is after)
Some even crop a lot tighter for cockpit shots. It's all about sharpness and detail and capturing it at that kind of speed. Trying to get that perfect shot. Which we never achieve, because the next challenge is usually hurtling towards us.
Horses for courses. I don't like train shots. I find then very boring. But thats why I don't look at them.

Kev.

Kev,
This is the chippy bloke ,(that's a new one on me :shrug:)

It would appear than Ghengis Khans hordes share a differant opinion to me,and I respect you are all chasing a holy grail of the perfect shot ,fair enough,we all do that,whatever the subject.

Having looked at loads of these Aircraft shots now,and knowing how popular it has now become,I just dared to suggest I ,in a minority of one ,liked to see more surrounding,and that is my thing .

That is all I said ,so lets leave it at that ,

Have fun (y)

Pons

Fair enough Chris. It does seem to be bothering you more than me. At the end of the day mate we're all toggers enjoying our hobby. (y) :)
Lovely evening. Get out and do some shooting.

Kev.

Last edited:
"Ghengis Khan's hordes"? I've never been a sheep in my life and because I disagree with you I am one. :clap:

**STAFF EDIT** Comment removed

:shake:

Last edited by a moderator:
Could the mods please close this thread. It's going downhill I'm afraid. I only posted some aircraft shots for gods sake!! :bang:

I like your shots Kev - I know how difficult it is and when we do get a good shot we always want better.
I also know how long we have to wait sometimes for that one pass that prevents you going home empty handed after a few hundred miles drive.
Also 99.9% of our day is probably spent looking at the scenery waiting for something to appear around the corner,
and when it does you've got to nail it with at least one shot or you're wasting your time!!!
Keep up the good work Kev - Cheers Paul.(y)

great shots and think No2 is stunning

keep promising myself a visit one day

It's a shame this thread has gone sooo downhill with comments :(
Personally I think the images are cracking much better than the images I took on the same day pretty much in the same place.

And to the person/(s) moaning on here, if you dont like the shots, either just say so and why and how they could be improved, or don't bother posting at all!

I personally don't like landscape shots, I make the effort to say my personal opinion and how I think they could be improved as a guidline to the poster.

Once again, great shots Kev!!

chrispons, behave yourself.

It's not big and it's not clever.

lol what a big blow up ................ awsome shots kev cant wait for october :D:D:D:D

Enough of this bickering, time for some comments on the photos as Kev wanted in the first place.
No 1 IMO the fluff was put there later as it's not in my shot and I was stood next to Kev at that time. Oh the whiteish dots or sheep should be cloned out.
No2 Kev Kev Kev ths is real life you should never have cloned out that bloke falling just behind the Tonka, it would have made good news.
No3 Now I know that this Harrier has ben cloned in because this was taken at Conningsby, but that tardy BG tut tut!!
No 4 So you go all the way to France and then after the shoot put the shot into a Mach Loop thread :shake::nono::nono:
Last shot, nice scenery but spoilt with a bleedin hairyplane init.

Last edited:
Hi Kev, nice set :), and good to meet you on two of the days we were on the same hill.

Weather was good to us,.... and what a good day the Wednesday turned out to be,.. even with those French tarts flying so high ;)

Hope to see you up there again soon.

X

Hi Kev, nice set :), and good to meet you on two of the days we were on the same hill.

Weather was good to us,.... and what a good day the Wednesday turned out to be,.. even with those French tarts flying so high ;)

Hope to see you up there again soon.

X

Hi Martin.
It was a pleasure to meet the guy that got such an amazing bargain on a lens case. :D :D

Hope to you you again.

Kev.

I just love 1,2 and 3, especially 1.....I went last week and had the pleasure of meeting Martin but drew a complete blank on the day but I am going again next month...it would be rude not too!

Really great shots in this thread and uhm interesting reading. keeping to topic have to say admire each of these and although I shoot landscapes as know my limits of pannning (an owl moved too quick lol) I still know great shots when I see them the fact everything is so sharp is great stuff well done

Back