East Anglia Caister-on-sea.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, i m booked up for a short break at California cliffs near Caister. I've been looking forward to shooting the sea defences which stretch along the beach at Caister. Is this close to where I'm staying and what time is best to capture them due to tide and sun? Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Probably only about 1.5 to 2 miles from where you are staying.

To find the best time of the tide you might need to have a look first.

Tide times for lots of places are available online.

For sunrise and set info have a look at The Photographers Ephemeris (https://app.photoephemeris.com/join). It is free for PCs and Macs and shows the direction of the sun for anytime anywhere.

Dave

Seem to think California cliffs resort is in Scratby so not far away. I went around 5 years ago. Seem to think I parked in the car park near caister lifeboat station. You can walk from Scratby but it’s a few miles walk.

At the time there were a few photographic groynes and a partial submerged pillbox. With the shifting sands in that area things may be a bit different. I know from visiting Happisburgh a bit further up the coast things change quickly.

Thanks Rob yeah thats exactly where I'm staying. Looks like on arrival I've be doing some exploring for an early start the next days. Thanks again for help

the zig zag post goynes were almost completely buried up until the start of the year. I dont know how many are now uncovered definately 1 is as ive seen recent shot images, may be worth an exploritory walk so you can head straight to the right area.
The sun will rise directly in front the beach at this time of year and set behind. I doubt you would get any good light at sunset as a result.
I have not shot there myself, i stopped off on the way home a couple of years ago and found they we not visible. I have heard that 1-2 hours either side of high tide is a good guide.

If its stormy or overcast may be better shooting during the day if tides dont align with sunrise. You dont say when you are going - High Tide today was 9:32am and moves 30 minutes or so later each day, It will be 1am next Sunday for the morning high tide.

Thanks AgentOrange76. I'm arriving next Monday and the more I think might be during the day rather then getting up at silly o'clock that I get a chance. As it's not far to walk 2miles is nothing best thing is to research when I arrive

The zig zag groins are found near to the lifeboat station, but you have to pay for the car park there. There is another place to park slightly further up the beach at Braddock Road that is free. This one is just north of the old pill box on the beach which is another interesting thing to photograph.
You do want either sunrise light or some decent interest in the clouds.
Judging by some of the recent images I've seen, the groins are exposed, but some are falling over.
There's also a wind farm out to sea, so you have to decide whether you want that in your image or not.

Yep saw an image from the weekend, looks like an entire long section of the groyne had been dug up and turned upside down.

If you do Facebook there's a good group - Photographing East Anglia than would be worth joining even for the holiday,

There are some interesting images of the zig zags on their sides at the moment.

If you do Facebook there's a good group - Photographing East Anglia than would be worth joining even for the holiday,

There are some interesting images of the zig zags on their sides at the moment.
Thanks for recommending the group, there is also a good guidebook of the same name... https://www.justinminns.co.uk/books/photographing-east-anglia

Back