Calderglen falls - CC welcome

Hi Sandy,

I came to look at these as a result of your other post querying no views. Sometimes a thread can take a while to get any views and gather steam as it were.

#1 doesn't work for me with the shallow depth of field - I think for this to work, your focal point needs to be making something in the scene "pop". A strip of water isn't enough I feel.

#2 I like the light reflections on the water although the waterfall to the left looks blown. The picture looks to be leaning to the left a little. A tilt to the right would help as would cropping out the top of the picture to remove the branch in the top right corner.

#3 I like this although I think less rocks in the foreground would help balance the shot and the light is not as kind.

#4 As above.

Thanks for the comments buck, I will take them on board and give it another go when the weather is nice enough for it [emoji106]

Not getting the composition, also light looks very flat.

Just my view for what it is worth:

1. I like the idea, but this does not work for me as the depth of field is too narrow.
2. I am copying Buck as his comment is pretty much what I would say too.
3. To me looks better with the top half cropped off so it is almost a panoramic type view. The white marks on the rocks are a bit distracting.
4. Is the best one for me, though it would be helped by better lighting and the foregrounds looks like it might be out of focus though I may be wrong on that. The exposure on the wate is just right for my tastes.

1 Doesn't work for me either, I'm afraid. Possibly it might if the plane of focus was on one of the lines of the falls but even then, I'm not sure it would work.
2 Looks wonky. Probably down to perspective rather than the camera not being level but it looks wrong.
3 IMO, this one could do with losing a little off the bottom edge, almost dividing the scene into fairly equal thirds (bank & trees, falls, river & rocks) and could also do with being a bit wider to get the full width of the falls in.
4 Is the best of the set IMO, possibly needs reshooting when the falls and river bank/beach are better lit though. A crop off the top helps balance the apparent lighting.

Sorry to be a little negative but the shots (other than the first, IMO) have plenty of potential so keep trying!

Have to agree with previous posters regarding the first image. It makes my eyes go a bit squiffy.

I do though very much like the third.
I think including the foreground stones serves as an anchor, and the scene overall looks better without the inclusion of any sky.

I have no issues with the light ir compisition in general. It's a low wide fall and needs a low wide perspective :)

Hi Sandy
I'm echoing the others a bit here
1. It's not working at all well I'm afraid, this technique works in some cases but not for you here, normally used to accentuate some feature or a focal point. Sorry that looks like a bad day when I forgot to focus:( Maybe just maybe if the focus was on the falls?
2. This as was said above has a serious case of wonk. I really notice this as it's something I suffer with time to time think about getting one of those silly levels that sits on the hot shoe if you get this often, or perhaps your camera has a built in horizon you can use. Of course you can always correct this in post processing but you always loose some of your photo. Also as above you have some naughty blown areas:( Where the whites have blown all detail out of the image, Top sun, left waterfall and foreground reflection, your camera should have blinkys on its histogram menu this will show you where the blown highlights are, always check the histogram after the shot this will tell you if you need to take the shot again before leaving the location.
3. I'm with Nod on this one just crop a bit off the bottom edge. I think this is possibly the best shot here I like the light through the wood on the left there's better light across the top of the falls and you can see the pool of the water fall bit wider perhaps if your lens could accommodate maybe.
4. Not a bad shot, with better lighting I don't like that you can't see the pool from the waterfall so for me a slightly higher or closer perspective would have worked better for me. I'd say this might have been my pick if the pool was in view as the lights much better. I know sometimes it's not possible to get that composition where you want it due to the constraints of your lens or you can't physically get where you want to take the shot from, but that's all part of the game;).

It's a learning curve and were all still doing that!
Hope this helped a tiny bit
All the best Steve

Just a general comment as everything about the pics has been said, but when you post multiple images try leaving a bigger gap between them. I'm finding them really hard to look at objectively as they all run into each other.

Back