Caldey Island – Criss Cross ( ISS & MW) + panoramic

buckas

Mister Forum Regular
Name
Drew
Edit My Images
No
Above Caldey Island in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The International Space Station (ISS) is captured travelling across the sky in front of the magnificent spiral arms of the Milky Way.

MilkyWay_CaldeyIsland_ISS.png

I started planning this image at the end of last year – throughout the spring into summer the Milky Way shows the ‘good’ part around midnight, making it more accessible if you enjoy your sleep like me. However, through the summer it starts to change its angle and by the end of August it’s near vertical due to the rotation of the earth. Composition of an image is a key part to all of my images and also the angle of the Milky Way can help balance up a scene. So the optimum timescale for this shot is possible over a few weeks in May & June. However, factor in shooting on a moonless night, slotting it in with my workload, not to mention whether the clouds will part you’re then down to a very limited number of days. Looking at maps, I knew the ISS would be about – however until it appeared I didn’t expect it to be a beautiful long bright pass, right across my composition. So lady luck was definitely on my side!

Thanks.
drew

Drew this is absolutly stunning, but I really want to see the trail from the ISS being complete i.e. right to the edge of frame...should be easy to crop it to make this the case...but very much well done for firstly envisioning the idea and pulling it off so well (y)

Matt

I think its a great image, my only crit would be that I find the green light a touch distracting.

Here's a panoramic view, without the ISS

Nearly 180 degrees view of the night sky above Caldey Island in Pembrokeshire, Wales. The spiral arms of the Milky Way stretching out.

MilkyWay_CaldeyIsland_Panoramic.jpg

Brilliant shot Drew and congrats on the papers... Is it 1 long exposure for the Iss, but short enough to avoid star trails, and how long? Great work!

They are both stunning images, congratulations. It must have taking some working out from looking at a map to pointing your camera in the right direction for the ISS, you must be made up!

Back