calibrate

Name
mat
Edit My Images
Yes
hi peeps

i was wandering if there is away of calibrating my lcd computer screen as when i get prints done they seem to be abit darker than what the screen shows

cheers all

mat

there are various screen calibration devices on sale or if you live near someone with a kit they could do it for you.

print brightness is always a problem because your screen emits light while prints absorb/reflect light.

I had the same problem, colormunki is brilliant. Yes not cheap but I was very happy i did.

color munki
spyderIII (NOT the 2)
Gretag/xrite i1

You need to use once a month or so - if you go aliong to a camera club they often have one to share with members

Sorry hope this may help understanding it all for others as well as me. Can I ask how the above kits differ to Huey Pro? which I havent been too happy with as most times when I need to print, the requirement is sRGB, and I dont kow how my finished Huey calibration relates to sRBG

The models that David referred to tend to offer more precise calibration than the Huey. However for a lot of people the Huey is more than good enough.

The profile that the Huey produces is unique to your monitor. It ensures that the image you see on the screen is best represented. This profile relates only to your monitor.

Many print labs ask for images to be supplied in sRGB colour space as this is a known quantity. Your monitor profile has no effect on this what so ever.

Your monitor profile describes to the PP software , such as Photoshop, the characteristics of your monitor. It takes this information to enable it to display as accurately as possible the image on the screen.

You should only use your monitor profile to work with your monitor and sRGB as an output colour space. You shouldn't save your files with your monitor profile as the output colour space This will cause confusion when it comes to printing.

?????
Your monitor profile describes to the PP software , such as Photoshop, the characteristics of your monitor. It takes this information to enable it to display as accurately as possible the image on the screen.
?????

Maybe this is where I am ****ing up. I thought the monitor profile was system wide, i.e., it didn't need to be explicitly set within the editing software. (printing profiles however needed to be explicitly chosen when printing from within a piece of software)

Thanks Chappers,

You should only use your monitor profile to work with your monitor and sRGB as an output colour space. You shouldn't save your files with your monitor profile as the output colour space This will cause confusion when it comes to printing.

Sorry, do you mean, I should only do my own prints with the Huey profile, but any other images I should save with sRGB?
So to confirm what a picture actually looks like in sRGB I can only do this by buying one of the above calibrators?

I have used Photobox for quite a few prints (underwater ones) and found the white balalnce on the print isnt as it is on the photo I see on the screen, so need to overcome this.

The biggest problem I had with a Huey (and I'm not sure if they've changed in the last few years) is that it only calibrates colours, it doesn't calibrate for brightness, which is where you get most of the discrepancy between screen and print brightness (apart from what POAH pointed out above).

I could be completely wrong about this (see my post above)
I think, whatever colourspace you work in, you need to ensure that as it saves for printing, it is /converted/ to sRGB (if that is the profile that the end process is expecting).
If a profile is just 'assigned' to an image, then all it does is effectively call one colour the other colour.

Have you used the curves tool at all? The way that images are saved is that they record a number for a particular value of Red Green or Blue (or Cyan Magenta etc.etc.) for every pixel position.
In order to display this information as an image, they send the values of Red Green Blue to the monitor.
As the information passes through the system, it effectively goes through a 'curves' translation. I.e., for each RGB value, they are looked up on the horizontal axis, and a new value is read from the Y axis. This is to allow for any changes that there may be one from piece of hardware to the next. I.e., if a monitor is dark compared to another, then its 'curve' may be steeper than the other's.
This is all OK if the curves are just linear responses, but if they are non-linear, then converting back from one curve to another is not always easy/possible.
So, if you sent off a print to someone, with a huey profile assigned, and they didn't have the correct profile, if they try and convert back without knowing the exact curve, then their 'best guess' might not be what you intended. However, if you convert to RGB first, then this should be as they expect, and the conversion is done on your computer, where your computer knows how the conversion was done in the first place.

As a test, (I think you had photoshop?)
Load an image, and go to edit->convert to profile. Select Adobe RGB 1998 (don't press enter, leave it selected, so long as preview is selected, that is enough).
Press the down arrow a couple of times (at least 5, pre-photo is a good example here), and that will preview the changes to you. You will see some slight changes, but not much.
Now, click cancel, and choose assign profile. Photoshop might warn you, this is what we want to see. Select Adobe RGB again, has it changed much? Press down a couple of times, till you get to pre-photo. Probably looks awful now.
If you send an image to a print-shop, with a profile on the image, which they do not have, all they can do is assign one which 'looks good'. That is if they even use humans, if they don't use humans, then they will just assign one at random.

Thanks, the photo was already in sRGB, as the preview didnt make it any different, but proPhoto (not prephoto?) did look ugly!
So if my image on the screen is in sRGB and my print from the same sRGB profile is different, what do I do now!?

Thanks, the photo was already in sRGB, as the preview didnt make it any different, but proPhoto (not prephoto?) did look ugly!
So if my image on the screen is in sRGB and my print from the same sRGB profile is different, what do I do now!?

:shrug::thinking:
On my photos, it was the light I was looking at the photos under that was causing my main difference (after calibration).
I also think that my calibrator is not getting my monitor 100% right (new monitor on the way).
I assume you don't have a wide-gamut monitor?

Have you tried taking a photo of a print with a flash, and what does it look like on the LCD?

my monitors only about a year old, its a acer x243hq, its the same on my macbook air moritor too.
No I havent tried that? I will do late ron this week tho, what do you assume would happen?

I noticed on my photograph that I printed, that the colours did not look anything like what I expected.
However, when I took a photo with the flash on, of the print that I had just made, it looked correct.
This proved to me that it was in fact printed well, and the monitor was calibrated, but the lights that surrounded the print were fooling my eyes into seeing the print incorrectly.

Back