Calibrating Lens

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
If your camera cant calibrate for a lens can you get around that by shooting in manual focus? or does that still not help fix the problem?

John, if your not 100% happy with the AF accuracy and as you say, if the camera cannot be calibrated either, here are a couple of options...

Assuming you have a DSLR, then the first would be to manual focus and use the "Live View" mode if your camera has this function. This will show you exactly what the sensor is seeing, leaving you in no doubt if the image is sharp or not. Some cameras have a magnifying funtion too whilst in this mode, which can make it even easier to spot when everything is "bang on". One word of caution though, it's not that easy when your hand holding the camera, best on a tripod.

The second is to manual focus again, but use the viewfinder screen instead. This is faster than option one above, but may not be as accurate, as you have to rely on the manufacturer matching the focus planes of the sensor and viewfinder screen. Normally this is a given, but you may wish to try shooting some text, just to see how it looks in the viewfinder whilst comparing it with the image on the display screen. Use a tripod when you try this, that way everything stays in the same place and makes it a whole lot easier to view.

Not really sure what else you can do with a fixed lens camera, apart from using the "Live View" function or sending it back to the maunfacturer for correction.

Thanks a lot for the advice Rob. The DSLR is a Canon 40D with a Sigma 105mm 2.8 lens on it. I'll give your different methods a try and hopefully get some better results than I have been so far :)

John, knowing now that it's your 40D, I'd have the camera / lens combination calibrated by Canon. I had an issue with my 50mm F1.2 not focussing correctly on my 5D, but was fine on my 1Ds Mk3. I took the 5D and lens to Elstree and one calibration later, all sorted. Lens focussed perfectly on both bodies :)

Cool, if I have no joy I'll look into getting them calibrated by canon. Cheers Rob

Just curious, what do they charge for calibration? By Canon, you mean someone like Fixation or authorised service centres?

I saw somewhere it was about £60 but Im not sure where you'd be best sending it. Still need to do a few tests before I go down that route. Since Im new to macro and the lens it might just be me needing to get used to things more.

I had 4 lenses calibrated back in February at Canon CCI Service Centre, Unit 130 Centennial Park, Elstree, Hertfordshire at a cost of £30 each. The prices may have changed since then, so give them a call on 0800 9150009.

Back