Calibrating monitor in MacOS gives odd results vs windoze

Edit My Images
No
As title, I'm trying to calibrate my 100% A-RGB monitor on a macbook pro 2016 15" with a Spyder 5 Elite.

Under windows this goes as expected, results in a 100% colour spectrum.

However, on my MBP the results are approx 77% argb colour space ?! - why? How do I fix this?

The monitor is connected via Display port with a direct USBC --> DP cable.

The monitor is an Acer 4k 100% a-rgb.

Thanks

I have recently colour calibrated my iMac with a Spyder5 Pro and am pleased with the results as Apple screens tend to be punchy. I was strongly advised not to bother to use my Spyder5 on my MacBook Pro as it can seriously interfere with onboard colour profiles. I understood perfectly well when it was explained (by someone very experienced with colour management) but I can't remember exactly what was said!

Last edited:
Get decent software. Datacolor software is rubbish.

DisplayCal should get you a much better result and it’s free albeit a bit more complicated.

.... I have a 27-inch EIZO on order with its own ColorNavigator software - That seems to be a good way to start as EIZO enjoy an excellent reputation among professionals.

The Spyder5 Pro hardware device will apparently work with DisplayCal or ColorNavigator.

I was strongly advised not to bother to use my Spyder5 on my MacBook Pro as it can seriously interfere with onboard colour profiles. I understood perfectly well when it was explained (by someone very experienced with colour management) but I can't remember exactly what was said!

Nah.... you was advised wrong.

.... Your poor use of English together with not even a hint of your reasoning, does not inspire my confidence in your opinion unfortunately. Whereas the guy who advised me has a lot of experience which I respect. But I'm keeping an open mind for now.

Last edited:
Your poor use of English together with not even a hint of your reasoning, does not inspire my confidence in your opinion unfortunately. Whereas the guy who advised me has a lot of experience which I respect. But I'm keeping an open mind for now.
It was a light hearted reply Robin, if you want experience then 40 years professional photography and being in charge of colour management for a major national institution where fidelity was of major importance and trained by what was then Gretag Macbeth, I can assure you that you will not mess up any internal colour profiles, same as if you calibrate and profile your iMac...

Oh your choice of an Eizo monitor is an excellent one that I can thoroughly endorse having worked alongside them for a number of years.

It was a light hearted reply Robin, if you want experience then 40 years professional photography and being in charge of colour management for a major national institution where fidelity was of major importance and trained by what was then Gretag Macbeth, I can assure you that you will not mess up any internal colour profiles, same as if you calibrate and profile your iMac...

Oh your choice of an Eizo monitor is an excellent one that I can thoroughly endorse having worked alongside them for a number of years.

.... Thank you, Phil - I now feel greatly reassured. I'm afraid that colour calibrating, or not, my MacBook Pro was not something I felt I could be light hearted about - I don't edit on it but I do show other people my work on it and via it (HDMI). Thank you for putting my mind at rest - It's appreciated.

You are welcome... The MacBook Pro screen does take calibrating and profiling well and is certainly worth it, particularly if you are showing your images on it, what I do find is that as the ambient light is unpredictable I calibrate to a slightly higher luminance than I do the iMac which is in controlled ambient illumination... (something I need to look at when we move to Devon soon)

You are welcome... The MacBook Pro screen does take calibrating and profiling well and is certainly worth it, particularly if you are showing your images on it, what I do find is that as the ambient light is unpredictable I calibrate to a slightly higher luminance than I do the iMac which is in controlled ambient illumination... (something I need to look at when we move to Devon soon)

.... Good point about the unpredictability of ambient light on a portable laptop although I am not doing anything commercial and hence nothing critical. I have noted your slightly higher luminance tip.

I think you will enjoy Devon. I moved to west Dorset from London when I retired early in 1999.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input all - I shall see what i can do!

.... Ben, I have just checked out your Instagram page - Your pictures have a lovely delicate style which I like.

I’m not sure if the MBP can display aRGB. This may be down to the graphics
card. The display on the MBP may be limited so the the card may not support the larger gamut. Easiest way to find out is give Apple support a call and se if they can advise

Back