Calibration Device!

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone recommend a future proof monitor calibration device please?

Just home use as opposed to professional and running Windows 7!

I remember borrowing a Spyder many many years ago but not too sure what's best and also the easiest to use right now.

Ta.

FWIW

Future proofing is subjective. I retired my Spyder 3 Elite when I upgraded from W7 to W10 because the software was not compatible with W10.

Rather than buy the next Spyder I decided to get the xRite i1 Display Pro.

So if you are planning on updating to W10 an old Spyder like mine (I never got round to posting it in the TP Classifieds) would not be of much help.

Personally I like the i1 compared to the Spyder.......but have read some positive reviews of the more current version.

I have the xrite i1 display pro too and formerly used Spyder products. They are really good and also use glass elements which do not colour over time. I think I read Spyder devise will discolour over time. Well worth it imo.

I too recently bought an xrite i1 - mostly because it's apparently better with dark tones and partly because I think it will be more compatible with the open source calibration software that's available (forget the name).

Thanks guys. Something to research into a bit more. I've been on this W7 machine for about 8 years now so yeah, 10 can't be far away.....

I use an old Spyder 3 but with DisplayCal software it seems acceptable.
The software takes about 30 minutes to chug through all the tests.

As @4wd mentions, you can use an older Spyder 3 with Win 10 if ou use the DisplayCal software (free, open source) - which actually does a bettter job I found than the original Spyder software when using dual monitors.

I’ve got an old calibrator that works with the free copy of displaycal. Lee you’re welcome to borrow it to give it a go!

DisplayCal seems to be widely accepted as being superior to the manufacturers software. My personal favourite device is the X-Rite i1 range, I use an i1 Studio but that is probably overkill so my recommendation would be the Display Studio, perhaps when you are used to its use have a look at the 'free' DisplayCal software.

There is a little thing to do with a special driver on the spyder+displaycal, it won't see the device until you download it manually from the menu tab.

When I upgraded from W7 to W10 I was faced with replacing my Spyder 3 Pro but also found Display Cal which has served me well since. For the Camera Club, we use an X-rite i1. Though more expensive, it has greater precision and can calibrated digital Projectors.

Dave

iDisplay Studio or under 100 quid on Amazon. 30% off marked price. Marked as used but I have bought quite a bit from this sale and they have all looked absolutely new and worked perfectly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Rite-EOD...252&rnid=8873237031&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-28

Bought loads of stuff over the years from the Warehouse.
Last sale I got a like new smartphone, it was new with the seals intact.
I saw that calibrator, they had a Spyder X Pro too, but I've already got one.
This time I got my daughter a Sony remote that worked out at half price.
For myself it was a Dremel Table Scroll Saw that had about 40 quid off after the discount.

iDisplay Studio or under 100 quid on Amazon. 30% off marked price. Marked as used but I have bought quite a bit from this sale and they have all looked absolutely new and worked perfectly. https://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Rite-EOD...252&rnid=8873237031&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-28

It could well be new. Thanks very much for the link (y)

Just used it with the bundled software & was pretty straightforward I must say.

Not sure if DisplayCal will be any better or give a different result though......?!?

It could well be new. Thanks very much for the link (y)

Just used it with the bundled software & was pretty straightforward I must say.

Not sure if DisplayCal will be any better or give a different result though......?!?
Glad you got a bargain, I got a few too in that sale although still waiting for them to honour teh best bargain. I just use the bundled software and my print are spot on so I have confidence the monitor is calibrated correctly

Glad you got a bargain, I got a few too in that sale although still waiting for them to honour teh best bargain. I just use the bundled software and my print are spot on so I have confidence the monitor is calibrated correctly

Cool. Hope they pull through for you!

Last few little prints I had done (6x4's) were a little dark & doing the calibration my monitor was a bit too bright so.....

Cool. Hope they pull through for you!

Last few little prints I had done (6x4's) were a little dark & doing the calibration my monitor was a bit too bright so.....
Probably the most common issue with printing. The software allows the devise to measure ambient light so that might be worth a try. My PC room doesn't have a window which is a pain for most things but very good for printing as the light is nearly always the same

Probably the most common issue with printing. The software allows the devise to measure ambient light so that might be worth a try. My PC room doesn't have a window which is a pain for most things but very good for printing as the light is nearly always the same

Yeah, I might give things another go at a later date. I do have 'daylight' bulbs though too so at least there isn't any horrible yellow tint to the room!

Back