Calibration + Opticians = Heaven!

Edit My Images
Yes
Long story, but I'm over the moon!

I've always had crop bodies (10/20/30d) and have always been reasonably happy with my two lenses (24-70L and 135L).

So I fancied trying a full frame sensor as I had heard so much about them over the years - although the were always so expensive. However, with the 5dII arriving, I was able to purchase a mint 'classic' and grip for a relatively modest amount.

So, I tried out my lenses with it and... disappointment.

I did some focus testing and all was not well. I did expect a learning curve with such shallow depth of field, so didn't immediately want to blame the equipment. I reasoned that the body was the newcomer and must be the culprit, so what to do. With the mirror fix including a recalibration of the body, I hatched a plan to take it to Elstree and effectively have it calibrated for free.

I got the camera back and no better. So, decided the only thing was to have the lenses calibrated. Just to be sure, I sent the body in too.

Meanwhile, my glasses had almost fallen to bits, so I bought some frames on Ebay and ordered some varifocals from the opticians.

Today I heard the camera was ready and so were my new glasses. Flipping heck, I can now see!

And the best part of this tale - my camera is bang on focus with both lenses. I am not a dud photographer and my lenses are not sub-standard.

All my stuff is second hand from various sources, so having it all calibrated by the manufacturer was a very worthwhile thing to do. I highly recommend anyone thinking of having a lens calibrated and would certainly go to Elstree again. They actually quoted me £75 plus vat for the work (I took them in at the same time as the mirror fix, but decided to see if the body made a difference first). Not an insignificant amount, but well worth it for the difference it made.

There can be nothing more frustrating for a photographer to have things constantly out of focus. Especially if you are lugging heavy kit around and getting poor results.

Sorry but I had thought there was no interest as my post had seemed to have 70+ views, although as has been pointed out they may be from Google too.

Sorry to all for being over sensitive.

Graham

Graham there is no need to feel embrassed, some times people look at threads and dont understand them in which case they may just read and leave.

what was the question?

Again, thanks for the interest Chaz. It was not a problem, but my experience of having my camera and lenses calibrated at Elstree. I just wanted to share my experience and also mentioned my joy at receiving my varifocals for the first time.

It was on a bit of a high and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys, but was a bit disappointed not to get any response at all after over seventy viewings.

Graham

As you will see from THIS thread, the views have now been removed. This is because the figure included hits by search engines and well as non registered viewers and is therefore a false number. The thread wasn't viewed by 70 forum members, probably not even a quarter of that. As a wearer of varifocals, I would be interested to read what you had to say, especially, as it seems, if it was good news.

Thanks for reposting, I can see why you were pleased. On a slightly different note, I sent my camera to the manufacturer to repair the AF motor. When it came back, it didn't seem to be focusing properly. It was only when I uploaded the images and they were in sharp focus did I realise that the diopter had been adjusted whilst being repaired! :bonk:

Thanks for reposting, I can see why you were pleased. On a slightly different note, I sent my camera to the manufacturer to repair the AF motor. When it came back, it didn't seem to be focusing properly. It was only when I uploaded the images and they were in sharp focus did I realise that the diopter had been adjusted whilst being repaired! :bonk:

Cheers Fabs.

Sounds like you had a bit of a mare there. Glad it was easy to sort.

Graham

Glad you reposted it. Great outcome and really pleased for you :)

sorry I missed your post the first time around but I have been wondering how to go about checking that my lenses are correctly focusing, I can adjust lens focus in my camera body but as yet not decided how best to go about it.

sorry I missed your post the first time around but I have been wondering how to go about checking that my lenses are correctly focusing, I can adjust lens focus in my camera body but as yet not decided how best to go about it.

The classic way is to set up three similar items (aa batteries are good and readily available). Set them up on a table in a row, with one a batteries thickness behind and one in front and focus on the middle one. Make sure the camera is fixed or resting on the table.

Just check the middle one is correctly focussed and the other two out of focus.

That's a quick test.

Graham

thanks I will play with that today. Paul

Again, thanks for the interest Chaz. It was not a problem, but my experience of having my camera and lenses calibrated at Elstree. I just wanted to share my experience and also mentioned my joy at receiving my varifocals for the first time.

It was on a bit of a high and wanted to share my thoughts with you guys, but was a bit disappointed not to get any response at all after over seventy viewings.

Graham
Elstree fitted a new mount on my 300Lis
and calibrated it for free:D mind you it took them 3 goes to get it right.

Back