calibration srgb rgb and other questions

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Asked ijn naother thread but not on subject and no responses..

I recently used spyder to calibrate my monitor.. certainly made everything brighter... I am now sending off for a printer profile to fotospeed.. cost 20 quid for canon paper profile

When setting up everyhting was set to adobe rgb

My camera was set to sRGB and since setting up if I load a pic it says wrong colour space

I have now set my camers to adobeRGB from sRGB

OK ... Now my filenames ahve had the first letter changed.. in camera OK but when downloaded the first letter is replaced with an underscore so KIP_####.jpg as in camera downloads as _IP_###.jog .. is that normal? happened on both cameras..

Also any pitfalls i should look for having changed from srgb to adobergb ?

I'd have done a profile for you for free

when you print a target there will be no colour management

Last edited:
I'd have done a profile for you for free

when you print a target there will be no colour management

I dont even understand the above.. thats how much I know :)

first point - it would not have cost you to get a profile made by me

second point - the target you print out to measure the colours is done with out any profile/management being applied.

so for example if the target specifies colour 0, 4, 0 then the printer will print the correct mixture to give that colour. however, papers are not all the same some absorb more than others, some are yellow etc which all has an effect on how it looks. The profile that gets made corrects for this difference.

If you print an sRGB image the colour gamut is smaller than that of RGB (assign an sRGB photo RGB in photoshop and see what happens. Obviously the printer ink/paper combo will only be able to print a certain gamut so it maybe that the RGB print is outside siad gamut.

The issue with the file name is correct, this is how it works on all EOS Canons, Adobe RGB starts with the underscore.

first point - it would not have cost you to get a profile made by me

erk... thank you :) got a reciept for my 20 quid early this morning.. still no profile :(

If you print an sRGB image the colour gamut is smaller than that of RGB (assign an sRGB photo RGB in photoshop and see what happens. Obviously the printer ink/paper combo will only be able to print a certain gamut so it maybe that the RGB print is outside siad gamut.

I ahve to be honest and say i dont follow any of that.. sorry :( its me i havent a clue.. printers iput paper in and hit print.. thats my knowledge until last day or so..

All I know is a mate came round with sypder calibration thing... following all the instructions it set everything to adobeRGB so it seems to amke sense to set the camera to adobeRGB

have I dont it right do you think?

you can print using either sRGB or RGB - your monitor is unlikely to display all the colours of the RGB gamut.

I use sRGB for my pictures.

erk... thank you :) got a reciept for my 20 quid early this morning.. still no profile :(

I ahve to be honest and say i dont follow any of that.. sorry :( its me i havent a clue.. printers iput paper in and hit print.. thats my knowledge until last day or so..

All I know is a mate came round with sypder calibration thing... following all the instructions it set everything to adobeRGB so it seems to amke sense to set the camera to adobeRGB

Please, ... go to your local independent lab and ask for guidance, far better than your home inkjet printer

sRGB or AdobeRGB is only relevant in camera if you shoot jpg. If you shoot raw and edit your raw file, then your colour space in camera is not relevant. If, however, you shoot jpg and do very little editing, then simplify your workflow by keeping the camera and editing workspace as sRGB. This way, you won't have to convert profiles when you print or send your files off to print.

sRGB or AdobeRGB is only relevant in camera if you shoot jpg. If you shoot raw and edit your raw file, then your colour space in camera is not relevant. If, however, you shoot jpg and do very little editing, then simplify your workflow by keeping the camera and editing workspace as sRGB. This way, you won't have to convert profiles when you print or send your files off to print.

I only shoot jpg and as stated when setting up calibration and following the profile instructions from fotospeed everyhting changed to adobergb .. surely if i shoot in srgb then my calibration and profile wont match ?

I did all this because the prints i was producing wasnt the same as what was on my screen

I've just re-read your first post. Are you using a Fotospeed CIS? If you are, which I guess is why you need a profile, then yes it will make a difference. Follow the info. that Fotospeed give you, which means setting your camera profile to AdobeRGB. If you send anything off for printing, remember your best converting a copy of your file to sRGB, before you send it off.

Just using fotospeed for the profile as I am using canon paper and canon ink. They would give me a free profile if using theres..

I send a lot of prints off for printing and they all come out exact as I see them on my computer...but I want to do any A3 myself as the price plus postage is just too much everywhere.. these where all coming out on print as blown out for some reason..

I am hoping when I get the profile it will all be bette ...thanks :)

So anyhting I send to photobox for example change to sRGB first? i wouldnt have known to but does sound right :)

If you're using Canon paper and ink you shouldn't need a Fotospeed profile. You should have a suitable Canon profile. What printer, which Canon paper and what software are you using?

I only shoot jpg and as stated when setting up calibration and following the profile instructions from fotospeed everyhting changed to adobergb .. surely if i shoot in srgb then my calibration and profile wont match ?

I did all this because the prints i was producing wasnt the same as what was on my screen

I understand your confusion. It's a difficult subject to get the old brain to come to terms with. Well it is for me anyway. I'm going to start from scratch. New monitor, calibrate, then try to get the profile thing sorted out by one way or another. I'll keep reading this thread cause I don't seem to get many replies to mine.:LOL: I wish there was a good, plain English, tutorial for this kind of thing.

Last edited:
If you're using Canon paper and ink you shouldn't need a Fotospeed profile. You should have a suitable Canon profile. What printer, which Canon paper and what software are you using?

Canon ix5000 A3+ Printer, Canon paper and genuine canon ink. I tried allsorts.. I asked in here and tried all answers (last yr) and still nothing.. A mate wiht same printer said his are OK and he calibrates his screen and uses fotospeed paper and profile..

Based on that we did as above.. calibrated.. setup as they say and paid 20 quid for profile and sent off the profile sheet we printed out.... the plan is profile comes i install and all my prints look exactly like they do on screen.... thats the plan I hope works :)

Just had a little worry :(

I do jobs for people and send them a disk/CD of pictures..are they going to look off on there computers or near enough OK? Full size JPGs Never had any complaints.. But have done two matches this week for local college set as adobeRGB in camera..

Are you printing from Photoshop? If so, are you choosing the correct profile in Photoshop and then making sure you turn off colour management on the printer? Which Canon paper are you using?

Your photo's on the disk should be ok. But it would be best to convert to sRGB in the future, when sending them to others.

Are you printing from Photoshop? If so, are you choosing the correct profile in Photoshop and then making sure you turn off colour management on the printer? Which Canon paper are you using?

Yes Photoshop and yes that was all setup in the instructions from fotospeed..

Photo paper plus glossy II

If it was all set up correctly, then logic says your prints should have been fine. But logic sometimes goes out the window!! Once you get your profile, see how that goes, but let us all know. If you still have problems, pm me.

My fingers are crossed thanks :) I expected the profile today.. they sent a reciept for the money OK ... I am mega busy out on photo shoots all weekend so hopefully get chance to do summat Monday :)

your screen is profiled to show the correct colours for the values in the image. They will show correctly wither the profile is RGB or sRGB.

The downside with RGB is that in any non colour managed program they will appear different. I only tend to use sRGB because its fine for using on the interweb.

Personally if I was using different output media the I would opt for sRGB. Why? It will be the same for all forms of output, so if you are printing, outputting to CD or supplying web images then everything is set to one standard. It reduces the chance of mistakes.

Also it's unlikely your monitor can display the full Adobe RGB gamut so that's making some interpretation to the image . With sRGB you should get a good match with a profiled monitor.

I'm an Epson user and to be honest I've not felt that the canned profiles from Epson are of a quality I can use. However I have found that the ones provided by Ilford are very good indeed. Yes a custom profile does improve things, but not by a lot. If you get a chance try some Ilford Galerie paper. You can get the profiles from the web site.

If you are still unhappy with the screen to print match, try soft proofing. This simulates how the printer will handle the image using the paper profile . I wont go into details of how to do it there are plenty of tutorials on the web, but it is really easy.

Back