Calling all Ford Focus owners

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I haven't purchased one yet but its looking increasingly likely I will. Probably the new shape one too.

So, anything to look out for when checking things? Known problems?

I've saved my MP3 stereo from the previous car but the Focus looks to have a non-standard facia, can I get adaptors?

Does any car have a standard facia anymore?

Have a look at some of the car audio sales sites - there are adaptors for a lot of cars. eg http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/ and search for 'focus adaptor' :)

SammyC said:
Well I haven't purchased one yet but its looking increasingly likely I will. Probably the new shape one too.

I've saved my MP3 stereo from the previous car but the Focus looks to have a non-standard facia, can I get adaptors?

I've had 2 Focus's, one of the old style on an 05 plate and my current car, a new ST on an 06 plate. I'm fairly familiar with problems on the new ST's - much of the problems will apply to the entire range. Which model specifically were you thinking of? New or second hand?

In my opinion, the build quality on the old style Focus is higher than that of the new style, although the new style has a much nicer interior. The new model is quite a bit heavier too - the 1.4 and 1.6 petrol versions I've driven really struggled. The 1.6 and 2.0 TDCI versions are supposed to be very good. The ST is great, but I'm not sure if you'd be interested in that model at all.

Depending on the model you buy, the new Focus can have a Sony MP3 CD Player which is actually very good for a standard unit. The higher specification cars have an AUX input in the glove box, which is very handy for connecting MP3 players to. Yes, in both the old and new Focus the head unit is a non standard size. You can easily get fascia adapters, I think they're around £25-30.

Problems I know of on the new Focus: colour match (colour of the front bumper doesn't match the front wings), rattles and squeaks from the rear of the car, window seals creaking. All minor things, and things that can be fixed under warranty. As I've got the ST I don't know too much about the other models problems etc, but it's fair to say the only problems with this model are minor niggly things. I've certainly not heard of any mechanical issues with the cars, and the STs are generally driven fairly hard.

As for the old Focus, I can only suggest checking the normal things like service history, condition of the car etc. I believe that the bottom of the doors can rust, which can be fixed under warranty. Other common places for rust seem to be under the rear window, and under the wing mirros where the plastic meets the panel.

I think it's safe to say that if you buy a good condition car under warranty you shouldn't have a problem. Have you thought about a used Mondeo? They offer better value for money than a used Focus, are a little bigger and generally have a better spec. :)

Thanks for that chaps! Really useful stuff there.

I'm looking at the new shape 115ps Zetec Climate. I'm not too fussed about performance as it's always going to feel slow compared to my previous car (Honda S2000).

Carwise I've been offered a selection of ex-rental 55 plate for about £9995. Overpriced esp. as they are ex-rental but I should be able to get a sensible price closer to the 9k mark as I've got the cash ready and waiting. I know ex-rental isn't a brilliant idea but I'll only be driving at most once a week and occasionally at the weekend. It's from a Ford garage and will still have the majority of it's warranty left.

Wouldn't consider the Mondeo as it's too big for what I want and also on-street parking.

I've got the older model, 4 years old now, coil went about 6 months ago and thats it, apart from from that very reliable, good to drive, cheap to fix and insure. Was Germany's most reliable car in a 3 year test they did I think in 2004/5.

i got the facelifted focus, not the new new one, its a great car, really good to drive. Unfortunately i got the Ghia version that ford still hadnt added the mp3 unit to(memo to ford: On high spec cars, dont just lob in a 6cd player and leave it with no aux in...)so if i wanted to add an mp3 i would have to have a different HU

The colour match issue is still with us....:(

The DW10 engine used in the 2.0 tdci is having a couple of running engines due to EGR faults, the petrols are all pretty much ok

No major concerns with the car as a whole though, it's road handling is much improved over the old model (which wasn't exactly a bad car), we've had a few water leaks at the back end of the car allowing water to damage some of the electrical gubbins behind the trim panel.

just go test one, you'll love it.

SammyC said:

ive just installed an aftermarket unit into my foci. ive got a 2005 registered old shape car on a 54 plate (;looks better than the new IMHO), ive done 13k in it since december and its been great, really comfy, quick, handles well, although i think id buy the TDCI version if given the chance again as my heavy footed motorway driving (80-90mph) means it drinks! i paid £7k for mine before christmas, ford direct so had over 2 years of warranty left on it, ex ford demo car so while it was only 9 months old it had dne 25k, but for me that wasnt a prob as i was gonna do loads of motorway miles anyway

you need an adapter plate as the aperture is too tall for a normal player, these are readily available for about £10 or so from halfords etc

you'll also need a loom adapter although ive got a spare (brand new not even fitted or opened) you can have if you want, bought it and didnt need it as the adapter for the steering wheel controls i fitted came fitted with the ISO adapter (adapters are available for JVC, pioneer and alpine units if i remember correctly as the steeringwheel controls are uberuseful). it might not be the right one for the new shape though

try here http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk ive used them a number of times and always found them to be good.

look ive even found both things for you - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=292_300_987

Well I've gone and done it, got myself a might 55 plate 115ps 1.6 Focus Sport in silver.

Woooo! :(

A little late but here's my Mk1 1.8 TDDi Ghia - saloon model, obviously:

car.jpg

Not familiar with the Mk2 interior I'm afraid but for the MK1/facelift there were two types of fascia you could get - the ones from halfords that basically blanks off the gap left by installing a single DIN unit, or a Scosche fascia which has a built-in CD holder (that holds two CDs).

OK, so a CD holder with a 2CD capacity and that leaves your CDs on display is next to useless, but it looks 500% better than the nasty halford's ones.

Oh, and my Mk1 isn't *completely* standard - replaced standard alloys with a nice wide set of 215/40/17's, the black headlights are from an ST170, clear front lenses are from a Focus RS, front door de-locked, and I did away with the odd-looking 2-foot long aerial, too.

Everything else is as Ford intended it to be.

Back