Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this thread whilst at work, and looked on ebay.

Should I have bought this?

Minolta Dynax 40 camera with AF zoom lens 28-100. also included AF zoom lens 75-300mm. (missing 1 lens cap)

would the lenses have fit the alpha?

It went for £45. I nearly bid but as new to this, was not sure if it would have been a waste of money, or if I would have bought a "beercan" for next to nothin'!!

Still undecided on what to buy, so at £45 would have helped make my mind up.

Saw this thread whilst at work, and looked on ebay.

Should I have bought this?

Minolta Dynax 40 camera with AF zoom lens 28-100. also included AF zoom lens 75-300mm. (missing 1 lens cap)

would the lenses have fit the alpha?

It went for £45. I nearly bid but as new to this, was not sure if it would have been a waste of money, or if I would have bought a "beercan" for next to nothin'!!

Still undecided on what to buy, so at £45 would have helped make my mind up.

A beercan is 70-210 f4,they are fetching good money at present

A beercan is 70-210 f4,they are fetching good money at present

this thread suggests about £150 for one, Do you know if the larger 300mm lens would be worth more?

this thread suggests about £150 for one, Do you know if the larger 300mm lens would be worth more?
The 75-300 aren't fetching as much as the beercan.the 75-300 can be picked up for usually less then £100,from what I've seen.Some-one will probably have a better idea.

Thanks, made me feel better about missing out. still, £45 for a £100 lens, plus a bit for the othe lens would hve been a "nice little earner"!

Thanks, made me feel better about missing out. still, £45 for a £100 lens, plus a bit for the othe lens would hve been a "nice little earner"!
True you could have had a bargain there.Just sold a beercan myself and got good money for it.Still have one left for my own use.great lens

It was a dodgy picture, but it could have been.............

I will say this, the Minolta 35mm used kits on ebay seem to be selling for less than the lens alone is worth, as I assume, people wanting lenses only search for lenses. With many people assuming their old Minolta glass is next to worthless......

It was a dodgy picture, but it could have been.............

I will say this, the Minolta 35mm used kits on ebay seem to be selling for less than the lens alone is worth, as I assume, people wanting lenses only search for lenses. With many people assuming their old Minolta glass is next to worthless......

That's how I picked up most of my lenses ;)
But I do have heaps of crap too :eek:

So I think I am almost there with lenses, I have a Sony SAL1680Z Vario Sonnar T Zeiss to cover 16-80mm, a Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM to cover from 70-200mm, a Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 DI Macro great for macro and portraits, a Sigma 2 x APO teleconverter EX which will allow me to get 140-400mm from my Sigma if I ever want to. I also have the Sony 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 DT but may sell this depending on how I get on with the sig70-200 and it's extra size and weight.... may be too big for the handbag

So last purchase is to be a wide angle, thinking either the Sigma 10-20mm one with HSM or the Sony 11-18. Anyone have opinions on either of these?

Mel:love:

I have updated all my software (+ updated to firmware v4) and thought I'd have a look at the remote facility (Never tried it before). I connected the camera to my laptop and switched it on, the laptop immediately recognised the camera. I then went to start Remote Camera Control. It opens, but I then get the message

"Cannot detect the camera. Confirm the camera is properly connected, and click OK".

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be connecting the camera in a different way? I have tried rebooting the laptop but to no avail. I am stumped! :thinking:

Can anybody help? :help::help:

I've never tried the tethered shooting. I don't really do studio work. If I was going to shoot people I'd probably use a gun.

I've tried the remote control once though and if I remember correctly you had to switch the drive mode to remote. Could be the same thing :shrug:

I've never tried the tethered shooting. I don't really do studio work. If I was going to shoot people I'd probably use a gun.

I've tried the remote control once though and if I remember correctly you had to switch the drive mode to remote. Could be the same thing :shrug:

Yeah, thought of that, but it didn't make any difference. :shrug:

Bugger, now you've made me read the instructions, and as we all know REAL men don't need instructions :razz:
You have to turn the USB connection mode to Remote PC.

Don't you dare tell anyone :nono:

:razz: GRRrrrrr :razz:

Is it me or have they stuffed up multi monitor support in version 3?
I keep dragging the bloody palettes onto my second monitor and every time I restart they are cluttering up the primary display again :shrug:

Don't know matey, can't afford to run two screens.... although downloading the software from the Sony site took ages, anyone would think I was on a 28k dial up from 1991 and not a 10meg BB system.

took my daughters friend to swansea this morning to get her first DSLR,and i'm pleased to say that she chose the alpha 300 with the kit lens.i advised her to also look at canon and nikon etc...but after having a play with my 350 yesterday,in which she particularly loved the liveview/tilting screen.i've put her on this forums,so hopefully she will register and take part in this sony thread very soon....(y)

took my daughters friend to swansea this morning to get her first DSLR,and i'm pleased to say that she chose the alpha 300 with the kit lens.i advised her to also look at canon and nikon etc...but after having a play with my 350 yesterday,in which she particularly loved the liveview/tilting screen,i think she made a great choice :LOL:.i've put her on this forums,so hopefully she will register and take part in this sony thread very soon....(y)

took my daughters friend to swansea this morning to get her first DSLR,and i'm pleased to say that she chose the alpha 300 with the kit lens.i advised her to also look at canon and nikon etc...but after having a play with my 350 yesterday,in which she particularly loved the liveview/tilting screen,i think she made a great choice :LOL:.i've put her on this forums,so hopefully she will register and take part in this sony thread very soon....(y)

We're taking over the world
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

No doubt you are going to give her some unbiased advice on grips, lenses, filters, flash guns, tripods, straps, batteries, storage media etc. Stan?

We're taking over the world
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

No doubt you are going to give her some unbiased advice on grips, lenses, filters, flash guns, tripods, straps, batteries, storage media etc. Stan?

already have mate...(y)

i also gave her my lowepro rezo180 shoulder bag(never use it anymore as i can't get enough kit in it) and a 55mm UV filter to protect her 18-70 kit lens.she got it from jessops in swansea,where they wanted £50 for a 4 gig CF card(ultra2),so i took her to PC world where i got it for £12.50 with their price match + 10% of the difference promise.also got myself a 4gig extreme3 CF card for £14 delivered,which i'm really happy with (y)

she came back a while after and gave me 8 cans of lager for helping her,so i'll enjoy them...mmmmmmmm nice:LOL:

Just a heads up for the Sigma 135-400 APO lens I have put for sale in classified.

right...i nearly bought the 2X converter today,but didn't as i'm a little unsure how it affect AF or if there are any downsides to using one apart from the obvious jump in minimum aperture from F/2.8 to F/5.6...so if anyone has the answers i'm looking for,please shout it out :LOL:

OK, get my membership card ready! I've just placed my order for the Sony 70-200 f2.8 G with Best Camera (£1186 delivered!), they have one left in stock!. I'll be joining the white lens club shortly :woot::woot::woot:

That's not grubby grey, but pristine white! :D

I've just placed my order for the Sony 70-200 f2.8 G with Best Camera (£1186 delivered!)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Missus would have my guts for garters....

I'm still trying to convince her I need a Beercan at £150.00 :shake::shake:

Enjoy your new glass
(y)

OOOh, so the membership grows of this exciting Sony white lens club. On the agenda for next week is - 'how to knit a nice cover' for the lens, with our special guest knitter - Stan from Wales. He'll be bringing a whole bag load of his favourite patterns and will show us how to knit the perfect winter jacket for the white lens - helping us look cool this winter while keeping the elements away from the front element....

He will also be passing on his tips for keeping warm this winter while we're out in the open with our new toys. All this and more at the next meeting of the white lens brigade...

OOOh, so the membership grows of this exciting Sony white lens club. On the agenda for next week is - 'how to knit a nice cover' for the lens, with our special guest knitter - Stan from Wales. He'll be bringing a whole bag load of his favourite patterns and will show us how to knit the perfect winter jacket for the white lens - helping us look cool this winter while keeping the elements away from the front element....

He will also be passing on his tips for keeping warm this winter while we're out in the open with our new toys. All this and more at the next meeting of the white lens brigade...

I want mine with tassels! :p

i hope you appreciate how many sheep i have to go through to get enough wool for that lot you've listed :eek: :LOL:

and it's not true what they say about the welsh :cautious:

Well I will never be able to afford one of those bad boy cameras, too expensive for me. I have had the a200 for a few months now, having come over from the darkside, and I have to say I love it. My next natural step will be to go to the a300/350 and then call it quits. I have no additional lens, only the the kit lens and I am quite happy with it at the moment but I would like a 70 - 300mm however I have heard some horror stories that the alpha strips the AF threads as its very aggressive, has anyone else suffered this problem. Anyway I am not that concerned about getting the biggest and best, my little a200 is just great as it is. Keep on clicking peeps and enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back