Calling all Sony Alpha users!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having a few issues with the A700, either the AF isn't quite right or I'm a numpty - hoping it's the latter to be honest. That's why I've not posted any examples up yet as I'm sure there is something not quite right.

I have spent a fair bit of time tonight indoors - not the best place to try the 70 - 200 G but never mind. I have managed to get this following shot that seems rather sharp and clear. This is the clock on our mantlepiece, taken at a slight angle so not to reflect too much flash.

This is the full shot then a 100% crop of the clock face.

Clockmain.jpg

Clock100.jpg

Taken at F4 at 150mm

I'm quite pleased with the clarity on this one, I'm hoping for a drier day tomorrow so that more experiments can be done outside :|

That's an amazing pic!!
Jeez, look at the word CHINA at the bottom of the clock face :eek:

I think your focus is alright perhaps the A700 files need more sharpening than you're used to.

Might be worth doing a focus test as mentioned over at dyxum just to put your mind at ease.

Recently purchased my first DSLR, an A200 with kit lens (18-70mm).
Owned a couple of 35mm SLR's in the 80's (Oly OM2 and a Minolta 7000) and read quite a few books so know a little about the basics, but I'm really interested in getting the most from my photos with some basic PP. Don't really understand it all but I'm willing to read and learn.
Have purchased three lenses from E-bay already :)eek:)
Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 LD Di II and a Minolta 50mm f1.7 prime for £50.00.
I only got the 50mm yesterday but trying it out last night I am amazed at the quality compared to the standard kit lens.
Also "won" a Minolta 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 yesterday morning which gets pretty good reviews allround and I'm looking forward to trying this out when it arrives.
If it's as good as they say it is, then I will use this in place of the kit lens as my "walkabout".
I told the Missus not to worry, once I had the camera I wouldn't need anything else for a while.
She doesn't know about the CPL's, tripod, remote release, spare battery and camera bag that are winging their way to me yet....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Looking forward to picking up a few tips from the guys that know what they're doing!
Rob

Hey Stan, how are you finding the a350??

(y)

loving it andy...it's a cracker mate (y)

not used the live view as yet,but i'm sure i will shortly.my only real criticism is that the 4 buttons on the left hand side of the body are a wee bit small/fiddly for my fingers :LOL:

there's a couple of shots i've taken on it in the general image section titled "london shots" or something...memory eh :bonk:

Recently purchased my first DSLR, an A200 with kit lens (18-70mm).
Owned a couple of 35mm SLR's in the 80's (Oly OM2 and a Minolta 7000) and read quite a few books so know a little about the basics, but I'm really interested in getting the most from my photos with some basic PP. Don't really understand it all but I'm willing to read and learn.
Have purchased three lenses from E-bay already :)eek:)
Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 LD Di II and a Minolta 50mm f1.7 prime for £50.00.
I only got the 50mm yesterday but trying it out last night I am amazed at the quality compared to the standard kit lens.
Also "won" a Minolta 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 yesterday morning which gets pretty good reviews allround and I'm looking forward to trying this out when it arrives.
If it's as good as they say it is, then I will use this in place of the kit lens as my "walkabout".
I told the Missus not to worry, once I had the camera I wouldn't need anything else for a while.
She doesn't know about the CPL's, tripod, remote release, spare battery and camera bag that are winging their way to me yet....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Looking forward to picking up a few tips from the guys that know what they're doing!
Rob

welcome to the world of the alpha rob (y).i had the alpha 100 until last week,and it was a cracking bit of kit,but i was lured to the 350,so got one last week :woot:.the 50mm F1.7 minolta lens is a right cracker,and although it hasn't been used much as of yet,i'm really impressed with the results i've had so far...

one thing i'd recommend to add to your list above is the battery grip.

enjoy..i look forward to seeing your shots on here..(y)

just took delivery of an A350, I ordered a couple of starter lenses separately, they hav'nt arrived yet (Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro & a used little beer can)

one thing i'd recommend to add to your list above is the battery grip.

She'd kill me Stan....

How much is it?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That 50mm 1.7 has blown me away mate.
I cannot believe that a different piece of glass could make that much difference.
I got some reasonable results last week-end just snapping away at the kids playing in the garden with the 18-70 but I can't wait to get out and about with this lens.
I have read that the 28-85 is "almost" as sharp so I'm really looking forward to experimenting with that a little.
I was tempted to go with the 300 by the way, as I wear glasses I thought I might struggle having to use a viewfinder again and the Liveview was a real attraction for me.
But I got such a good deal on the 200 I decided to stick with it.
Thanks for the welcome btw.
(y)

She'd kill me Stan....

How much is it?
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

That 50mm 1.7 has blown me away mate.
I cannot believe that a different piece of glass could make that much difference.
I got some reasonable results last week-end just snapping away at the kids playing in the garden with the 18-70 but I can't wait to get out and about with this lens.
I have read that the 28-85 is "almost" as sharp so I'm really looking forward to experimenting with that a little.
I was tempted to go with the 300 by the way, as I wear glasses I thought I might struggle having to use a viewfinder again and the Liveview was a real attraction for me.
But I got such a good deal on the 200 I decided to stick with it.
Thanks for the welcome btw.
(y)

got the battery grip from jacobs for £140...if you don't tell her,she can't kill you :naughty:

i also wear glasses,and i'm not struggling to use the OVF even though the tilting screen protrudes further out than the screen on the 100/200/700.

My brother came over today with his new A350, he has got the kit 18-70 lens. I've let him borrow my 75-300 for a week or two and also let him put on the 70-200G. I was very impressed with the results of that with the 14mp that the A350 produces. Start saving Stan, it's well worth the £££ on your A350.

bought the Alpha 200 and used it in USA, anyone recommend the best software for managing pics, best magazine for hints and tips?

Numpty nuts after a bit of general advice.
When I bought my 200 I started looking at zoom lenses.
Like plenty of other idiots before me, I went into it "helter skelter" and in the excitement didn't really study lens options properly.
Subsequently, I purchased a couple of Tamron lenses, namely the 55-200mm f4-5.6 Di II and the 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di II.
Bit of an overlap there I know, but as they say, "a fool and his money etc."
I bought them both because they had reasonable reviews and were cheap...:(:(:(

I'm now considering the old faithful Minolta 70-210 "Beercan" as a viable alternative to both of these lenses. Every review I read about these comments on the sharpness, bokeh etc.

So my question is.....

Would you sell the two Tammys and go for a "mint" beercan?

Hi numpty nuts :LOL:

I can't speak for the two Tammy's as I've never used either, but I've seen nothing but great reviews on the beercans.

I've seen a few on ebay recently with a BIN price of £139.
Not a bad price........

HERE'S ONE!

Numpty nuts after a bit of general advice.
When I bought my 200 I started looking at zoom lenses.
Like plenty of other idiots before me, I went into it "helter skelter" and in the excitement didn't really study lens options properly.
Subsequently, I purchased a couple of Tamron lenses, namely the 55-200mm f4-5.6 Di II and the 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di II.
Bit of an overlap there I know, but as they say, "a fool and his money etc."
I bought them both because they had reasonable reviews and were cheap...:(:(:(

I'm now considering the old faithful Minolta 70-210 "Beercan" as a viable alternative to both of these lenses. Every review I read about these comments on the sharpness, bokeh etc.

So my question is.....

Would you sell the two Tammys and go for a "mint" beercan?

The Beercan is a gem. The following it has is pretty much a cult but to a great extent it is justified.
They are like one of those recipes that are greater than the sum of their parts. They are sharp but not the sharpest, the constant f4 is fast but not the fastest, they produce great colours and contrast but aren't optimised for digital, the bokeh is sublime and consistant. When it's all put together you have something quite extraordinary.

Just buy one ;)

They are sharp but not the sharpest, the constant f4 is fast but not the fastest, they produce great colours and contrast but aren't optimised for digital, the bokeh is sublime and consistant. When it's all put together you have something quite extraordinary.

Is that all???

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

:LOL:;)

Looks like he bought it a few days ago for a lot less than that...and his feedback doesn't inspire me to be honest Andy..:thumbsdown:

I've seen a mint one on Dyxum which I've emailed the seller about. Looks in much better condition and would work out roughly the same price by the time it's shipped over from the U.S.
Problem is, the guy will only take bank transfers and has only made four posts on the site :(:(:(

Hi All,

New to the Forum & 'pro'? photography.... looks as though this is the place to be if you're a Sony user.

Just aquired a Sony A350 as an insurance replacement but not a clue what to do with it and seems it would be easier trying to interpret the manual for the space shuttle...lol

New to this DSLR stuff so looking to pick up a few pointers...bit more complicated than my last point & shoot gizmo

Looking to try some macro photography (insects, flowers and maybe more distant birds etc) with this thing and trying to find a decent lens (that's how I stumbled across this forum) but everything seems to be geared towards Canon or Nikon.

Reading the posts, the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro seems to get a good review....or would it be better to go for something a bit longer like the 150mm or 180mm to give you the best of both worlds...and would you get the same macro quality with the longer lenses...or,would you go for something completely different?...Arrggh! :bang:

What a minefield :LOL:

Thank you in advance...

73's...Ken

A quick tip as far as buying lenses are concerned.....

Don't rush into anything.
(y)

just an afterthought...

if anyone has something for sale that will do the job I could be interested, or have just bought a 2nd user Sigma 400mm APO f 5.6 AF which I may swap if anyone is looking for this model...thoughts please :thinking:

73's...Ken

A quick tip as far as buying lenses are concerned.....

Don't rush into anything.
(y)

thanks Smiffy....but too late :LOL:

Already bought the Sigma above, seems o.k but no good for close up work :bonk:

73's...Ken

An invaluable source of information on different lenses is available here...

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

A lot of the older Minolta AF lenses get brilliant reviews and can be purchased used from e-bay.

One of the best initial purchases you can make is the Minolta 50mm f1.7 "prime". They come up fairly frequently (although they are getting very popular now with the increase in Alpha sales) and can be be had for around £50.00 for a decent copy.
The difference in quality compared to the standard kit lens is evident straightaway.
Rob

Hi All,

New to the Forum & 'pro'? photography.... looks as though this is the place to be if you're a Sony user.

Looking to try some macro photography (insects, flowers and maybe more distant birds etc) with this thing and trying to find a decent lens (that's how I stumbled across this forum) but everything seems to be geared towards Canon or Nikon.

Reading the posts, the Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro seems to get a good review....or would it be better to go for something a bit longer like the 150mm or 180mm to give you the best of both worlds...and would you get the same macro quality with the longer lenses...or,would you go for something completely different?...Arrggh! :bang:

Thank you in advance...

73's...Ken

Hi

TP is just the best place to be whatever gear you use.

The Sony lens situation has primarily forced me to jump ship. Lack of local retail outlets holding stock to enable potential buyers a chance to try before they buy is something Sony have to address and soon. The Alpha range is good and always does well in reviews. I'm sure i'll miss my A100 + Lenses.

Skydiver
The Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro was the lens I had my eye on for a long time and I don't think I have heard a bad word against it. So i'm sure you won't go wrong with it. However without actually trying it I was always reluctant to take the plunge as the options of the 150mm or 180mm was always in the back of my mind also the 90mm. Good luck on venturing into the minefield.

So for now go...go...go [S1]Team Sony[/S1] but i'm soon to be [S1]Team Sonikon[/S1]. :shrug:

Hi All,

Just aquired a Sony A350 as an insurance replacement but not a clue what to do with it and seems it would be easier trying to interpret the manual for the space shuttle...lol

New to this DSLR stuff so looking to pick up a few pointers...bit more complicated than my last point & shoot gizmo

Thank you in advance...

73's...Ken

Hi Ken. :wave:
Welcome aboard mate!
Glad you joined the forum, and even more glad you found this thread!
It's full of Sony Alpha users, and they (notice I didn't say WE!!!!) are full of useful info.

People always insist that you read these goddamm awful manuals.
Personally, I don't bother. They mas as well be written in Chinese!
If there's anything specific you want to know about the camera, just ask here. Someone will always answer!

My advice, I'm not saying it's good advice, would be to use full auto mode, just for a while until you get used to handling it.
Get to know it a bit, the feel, the ease of use, how fast it is etc, then when you want to know more, give us a shout and we'll explain how to get MUCH more from your new toy!!

Incidentally, I've got a Sigma 50mm f2.8 DG Macro EX than I'm considering selling.
If I do, I'll put it in the for sale section, and let this thread know.

73's to you mate ;)

skydiver...i have the sigma 105 F2.8 EX DG macro lens,and it's a cracker.i use mine for shots of flowers and insects mostly,but it makes a brill portrait lens also...

the 150 and 180 siggy's would most prob be better for insects as you can work further away from your subject so less likely to scare them,but are apparently quite heavy so not really suitable for hand held shooting.....

also,the 50mm F1.7 minolta lens that smiffy recommends is deffo a must have for little money (y)

thanks Smiffy....but too late :LOL:

Already bought the Sigma above, seems o.k but no good for close up work :bonk:

73's...Ken

Which Sigma are you referring to? If it's the 105mm, why do you say it's no good for close up work, it's a very well regarded macro lens.:thinking:

Welcome to the forum and the Sony user thread fella.

Just to say i bought the Gary Friedman ebook guide for the A100, cuts through a lot of technical BS and puts all i needed to know it in layman terms. It's very good and came highly reccomended on Dyxum etc. On his website, he's done a guide for the A350, hopefully that one is just as good.:shrug:
http://www.friedmanarchives.com/

Just to say i bought the Gary Friedman ebook guide for the A100, cuts through a lot of technical BS and puts all i needed to know it in layman terms. It's very good and came highly reccomended on Dyxum etc. On his website, he's done a guide for the A350, hopefully that one is just as good.:shrug:

I downloaded the A200 version last night. Well worth the £9.50 or so.
Makes a lot more sense than the manual
(y)

i got his manual for the A100 last year,and a very good book it is.since i now have the A350,i'm left wondering if i need to get the one for the A350 or not,as there's a lot of whats in the A100 manual that can be applied to the A350 :shrug:

ALSO...

i have recently bought the battery grip for the 350,and i have the 2 batteries it requires for use,so my question is...

a/can i take one out once it's exhausted it's charge,so i can recharge it and then place back in the grip..

OR...

b/would i be better off getting another 2 batteries so i can replace them once the 2 batteries are exhausted...if so,are there any 3rd party batteries anyone can recommend,even though sony only recommend using their own infolithium batteries..which are £50 each :eek:

unless someone knows of a place to get them cheaper :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back