Calshot Veladrome

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Visited this place today hoping to get some action shots - It was sooooo dark (& like a freezer - actually colder than it was outside!) - Don't think I got one shot off that was less than ISO800 & mostly they were knocking on ISO1600 :eek:

Some of those worth posting then ... Paul ;)

363764490_345dbfa4f2.jpg

363764503_e3658b050c.jpg

365897365_57cbf0e99e.jpg

363764494_9b8719fc42.jpg

Always wondered what the velodrome looked like!

The last pic is my favorite... love the motion blur. (y)

Not bad, but some closer crops might have more impact.

You're probably right - I think I was too caught up in showing the banking etc although if I cropped too close the noise would be more evident (?)
Paul ;)

The last one is excellent, good use of motion blur.

I like the last one too - really works for me with the front riders being almost sharp and then the very distinct blur on the back ones.

Visited this place today hoping to get some action shots - It was sooooo dark (& like a freezer - actually colder than it was outside!) - Don't think I got one shot off that was less than ISO800 & mostly they were knocking on ISO1600 :eek:

Welcome to indoor sports Photography ;)

I like the last shot, the blur really really looks good. Like has been said tighter crops will have more impact. Did you use any flash? what sort of lens did you have?

Shortest and steepest banked track in Europe! A nightmare to ride - and so difficult to get any good shots. Been there, but never had the courage to ride it! Took some photos instead many years later.... have to dig them out.

I know you've done really well to capture these - good effort!

Welcome to indoor sports Photography ;)

I like the last shot, the blur really really looks good. Like has been said tighter crops will have more impact. Did you use any flash? what sort of lens did you have?

Ally - Thanks for that - I used my 12-24mm f4 and my 24-120mm VR - When I got there & saw how frickin dark it was I slapped my self several times for leaving my f2.8 105mm at home :bonk: (took my 70-300mm & never got it out) I'll know the next time!
I tried several different techniques (panning / tripod / slow & fast shutter speeds / built in flash of D200 but was worried I cause a pile up so only a couple with this)
There may be some other keepers amongst the 200 I took when I get time to wade through them!

Shortest and steepest banked track in Europe! A nightmare to ride - and so difficult to get any good shots. Been there, but never had the courage to ride it! Took some photos instead many years later.... have to dig them out.

I know you've done really well to capture these - good effort!

Cheers - I must admit it looked scary & I was suprised there wasn't one crash in the three hour session I attended :eek: - incidentally it only costs £27 per hour to hire the veladrome (how cheap is that!)

Paul (y)

Few more I thought were OK & tried cropping pic 3 above a bit ...

365897377_f26c997f8b.jpg

365897367_e003a65fd5.jpg

I like the new 2 you've put up paul (y) I've seen alot of togs use 70-200's with flashguns for veladromes but I prefer my 1.4 and 1.8 primes, I find 2.8 too slow! :eek:

Thanks Ally (y) - I wish I'd got the one with the two riders on the line instead of before it :bonk:

I like the blurry riders surrounding the one in focus (exactly what I intended hehe :nuts:)

f2.8 Too slow! Clucking bell - Bang goes my 105mm theory although thinking about it its VR so I might be ok :thinking:
Paul

f2.8 Too slow! Clucking bell - Bang goes my 105mm theory although thinking about it its VR so I might be ok :thinking:
Paul

Don't take my word for it, I've never been in that veladrome so I don't have any light readings to compair, I know that theirs only one hall in scotland that I can use f2.8 or below. Barry would be the person to ask about f-stops for that hall?

I really must find my shots..... I know I upped the ISO but was using my 24-120 VR. It is dark in there but a good panning technique does produce some great shots!

You shouldn't have any problems with f2.8....

I really, reaLLY, REALLY must find those shots.... :LOL:

Phew - that was a struggle! February 2005, stashed away on a little ol' forgotten disk. ;)

Anway, posted this on another Forum in a different life... not so good. Might try and get to go again one day! Taken on a D100 (dunno why?) with a 24-120 VR 800 iso with an aperture of f5.6 - shutter speed 1/1000th. Bit noisy...... I think I'd do it a bit differently now :(

cycle_track_1.jpg

That's a crackin' shot (y) - At ISO1600 wide open I still couldn't get the speed much past 1/250th so you can tell how dark it was? - I looks like you had bright sunshine which must have helped a bit?
I intend to go back in February & give it another go - I wonder if a decent flash would be in order although like I said before I was worried about putting the riders off? - Anyone like to offer an opinion on this?
Paul ;)

Hi
have ridden calshot and yes very steep, but what a shoot out of the corners, wicked adrenalin rush.
Best way is to ask the riders if you can, but as a rider they will be more interested on the line in + out of corners and looking at rear wheels and maybe fill flash might just do it.
But, I would not want to be in your shoes if a pile-up happened and they blamed you!
My track bike excess £2000
Road race bike in excess £3500
Canon kit, don't go there and certainly don't tell the wife. She wants a holiday and I'm saying well were a bit short this month (for the last 10 years I've said that)

With the low light it might be better to use it to your advantage and try some panning at the slower shutter speeds rather than trying to freeze the action.

Hi
have ridden calshot and yes very steep, but what a shoot out of the corners, wicked adrenalin rush.
Best way is to ask the riders if you can, but as a rider they will be more interested on the line in + out of corners and looking at rear wheels and maybe fill flash might just do it.
But, I would not want to be in your shoes if a pile-up happened and they blamed you!
My track bike excess £2000
Road race bike in excess £3500
Canon kit, don't go there and certainly don't tell the wife. She wants a holiday and I'm saying well were a bit short this month (for the last 10 years I've said that)

Cheers casper - I was invited to the session & can go anywhere trackside etc - I still would be a bit worried about distracting riders with flash other than maybe on panning shots - I have a thread in the Equipment Forum about what lenses / flash etc for this type of shoot

With the low light it might be better to use it to your advantage and try some panning at the slower shutter speeds rather than trying to freeze the action

Cheers pxl8 - I did try that at various shutter speeds - its just the poor lighting that still is the issue though I feel a f2.8 or faster lens might help

Paul (y)

Back