Calumet merged into Wex

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
So its now official as per the message on the Calumet Website that they are merging with Wex. With Wex being predominantly web based and Calumet having actual shops around the country whats the thoughts on this?

They usually keep the separate names so they can charge more in high street stores, and avoid being asked to price match their online price.

The calumet website will apparently disappear and just be Wex's

I have had good service from both, mind that was 3 years ago when I used a Calumet shop (bought my 5D3 there), so if things in the shop are of the same standard as Wex online it should be good.
I prefer a real shop, despite my last purchase being from Wex online, including trading a lens, so it would be good if Calumet can keep trading.

I was in my local Calumet last week and understand the plan is to keep and perhaps expand the retail outlets although seemed uncertain that the Calumet name would stay.
Would also be good to see parity with WEX Trade In policy, Calumet have a tendency to be woefully under on valuations.

Hopefully what were Calumet branches will now increase their Sony exposure. :) Glasgow at least has very little.

I've asked about Sony stuff in the Edinburgh shop and got sneered at. Haven't been back.

Hope the shops remain. I’ve always like Wex for their customer service etc. It since I no longer visit Norwich, it’s a bit of a trek. However I do spend time in Manchester, Birmingham, MK and London

If they get this sorted I think it's a good thing.

I've always felt Calumet is a bit wayward - occasionally good pricing, often not that competitive, some interesting own brand stuff, but often limited range of stuff in stock.

I've used both companies. I would like this to work.

If they get this sorted I think it's a good thing.

I've always felt Calumet is a bit wayward - occasionally good pricing, often not that competitive, some interesting own brand stuff, but often limited range of stuff in stock.

I've used both companies. I would like this to work.

I wonder what will become of Calumet branded stuff. Will there be a big sale

Update - Looks like googling Calumet and clicking the link redirects to Wex Website but they have a Calumet mimic page - not sure how long this will be for.

Remember Calumet used to also have a US presence but I believe this stopped about 3 years ago. They also are active in Belgium so not sure what will happen there.

Last edited:
As Wex is local to me I get the advantage of online pricing and camera shop together.
The staff in the showroom can be contacted on the phone which is a step above a lot of online retailers even if you live 20min away.
Never used Calumet but always thought of them as an online retailer - I guess where you live impacts on how you perceive either brand but there's no physical overlap so hopefully all the stores will stay.
http://www.wexphotographic.com/about-us/store-finder/

I just saw the email. I think it's a good thing. I think WEX has a mix of customers, but I've felt that Calumet has always leant towards the professional side with the products it stocks and the fact that it does equipment rental.
I've been to both the small Soho store and the massive Euston store (where the rental stuff is) and even bought my 6D second hand from them (a very good price, much lower than others). The Euston store is rather good for looking at stuff as it has enough space to have gear out, unlike some retailers with very small shops.
Worth noting that Calumet almost ceased to exist a couple of years ago, so perhaps this is a pre-emptive move to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Interesting to note from the store finder that Fixation is also part of the group.
No mention on the Calumet facebook page though curiously.

If they get the integration right, it'll be a great move.
I'd like it if you could stock check the store near you for an item and be able to either order for store-pick-up or at least get the website price in store. I hate it when stores do one price online and another in store.

I'd like it if you could stock check the store near you for an item and be able to either order for store-pick-up or at least get the website price in store. I hate it when stores do one price online and another in store.

Just checked this and they have carried over the Stock Check facility onto the WEX Website, same pricing, but then Calumet have always price-matched online rivals (except Amazon) if you ask.

I also wondered where Fixation stood in all of this... I've dealt with all three entities but I really do like dealing with the Fixation rental guys, and it is convenient for me.

I also wondered where Fixation stood in all of this....
It's complicated.

The company behind all this is Aurelius Equity Opportunities, a German firm of venture capitalists. In June 2016, Aurelius bought Calumet. In March 2017, Aurelius bought WEx. Meanwhile in October 2015 WEx had bought Fixation. So now all 3 brands are owned by Aurelius.

I walked into Calumet for a browse a few weeks back, whilst in work gear - got totally blanked....... Never again.

Walked into Grays on a saturday in my scriify weekend gear and was treated like lost family...

Guess who I will be spending my hard earnt with again ?

I walked into Calumet for a browse a few weeks back, whilst in work gear - got totally blanked....... Never again.

Walked into Grays on a saturday in my scriify weekend gear and was treated like lost family...

Guess who I will be spending my hard earnt with again ?

Which branch of Calumet?

Back