Camargue Horses

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Taken on a trip to Southern France in March.

#1 "Rivals"
4675820981_8cdafc276a_b.jpg

#2 "Out of the Mist"
4676444790_4906a45158_b.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting PP, they look more like paintings. I've wanted to head down to that region since I was a young lad and read about the horses there, hope you enjoyed.

Nice composition.

Al

nice shots, i see your from essex too, i done some work for a fella a while ago in hulbridge who owns a horse drawn funeral/wedding carriage company, some of his horses are much like the ones in your first pic.... beautiful :D

Update: The second shot got me a Gold Award with the SWPP in 2010 and has been entered for the POTY in the Open Category - result mid Jan.

Stunning shots Dave, really evocative.
I have been down there, but only seen the flamingos and bulls.

Thanks guys. Andy...great place for birdlife also...saw Flamingos too and lots of Grey Herons

4470990238_583e869e50_o.jpg

4470213017_f99db70a65_o.jpg

Own up Dave, is that a rubber flamingo in the second shot, which an assistant has thrown into the air for you?:LOL:
Once again, stunning shots.

Wow fantastic photos that has been a dream of my mine for many years to get to see these wonderful horses very jealous

All four are superb... but for the horses, I really like the action in the first one, but the mistiness of the second means the horses stand out better, and I prefer it.

Absolutely stunning photos Dave I'm sure there are many more prize winners in those 2 photographs.
did you have to wait long to capture the events and what lens did you use please.
Thanks
Dave

bsolutely love that second horse shot, would look great frsmed in a wall (y)

Update: The second shot got me a Gold Award with the SWPP in 2010 and has been entered for the POTY in the Open Category - result mid Jan.

It's a super photo. I have one in the same category (though non equine) and a horse image in the Events category. Best of luck!

I also love the first photo.

The horses on the carriage site look more like Lippizaner horses to me. The Camargue horses are very small (pony sized - about 13-14hh)- and are traditionally used for herding bulls as well as for bullfighting. In spite of being very small - they are exceptionally strong and agile.

The downside of the Camargure region are the mosquitoes!!

Thanks guys. NikonUser...I used the 200-400 lens on a D700 with battery grip for the extra fps. I was there a week to get these images.

Teegee...you're not wrong about the mosquitoes...nothing keeps them off!

Great shots of the horses. Were they taken in the same location? I have failed to get any decent horse shots to date during my day trips down to the Camargue. Any tips on where to try and hang out to get decent horse shots would be very welcome :)

Cheers - Simon.

Beautiful shots of the horses! Good strong composition in both but I particularly like "out of the mist"
They do look almost like paintings, in a sense, almost contrived in the artist's mind.
How long did you have to wait to get those:)
talbot

Brilliant both of them but I think I favour Rivals.
'On White horses Snowy white horses let me ride away' comes to mind

Congratulations for winning 'Open Photographer of the Year' at the SWPP!

Great pictures btw! :clap:

Really excellent shots, the second one is simply stunning - hope you do well with the POTY comp!!

Both lovely, though #1 pips it for me - wonderful energy and movement. I have actually ridden on these animals in The Carmargue, and it is a pretty invigorating experience when they go flat-out through that water. The saddles they use are akin to western tack, very strange.

Last time I was there I was lucky enough to hit the famous Gypsy festival at Les Saintes Maries de la Mer, when the Saints are taken from the church and in procession into the sea. It is a pretty spectacular, and very ancient ceremony.

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/saintes-maries-de-la-mer/gypsy-pilgrimage/

Back