Cambo LF question

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
Someone had offered me a Cambo LF camera.

just wondered on anybody’s thoughts if they’ve used one.

Has a 220 roll back, 3 slides and a 135 f/5.6 lens

£200 is being asked

Not used one, but I think they are all monorails. If so, slightly more awkward to use on location. That's the voice of one whose first LF camera was a monorail used on location.

Assuming the film holders are sound and the lens reasonable with a working shutter, it seems a reasonable to good price.

Would this be your first forray into large format?

Cambo are a good make and as Stephen says, if it is a monorail a bit more awkward and bulky to use in the field. However, depending on the make and condition, the lens alone is probably worth close to the asking price so give it a go, if you don't like it you will almost certainly make your money back if you sell it on.

Not used one, but I think they are all monorails. If so, slightly more awkward to use on location. That's the voice of one whose first LF camera was a monorail used on location.

Assuming the film holders are sound and the lens reasonable with a working shutter, it seems a reasonable to good price.

Ditto ^^This^^

Someone had offered me a Cambo LF camera.

just wondered on anybody’s thoughts if they’ve used one.

Has a 220 roll back, 3 slides and a 135 f/5.6 lens

£200 is being asked

If it's in decent condition , ie bellows light tight, lens free of fungus, shutter speeds good etc , then for that price, I'd be tempted to go for it if i was just starting out.

Monorails aren't the easiest of LF outfits for use in the field .....more precisely its the carrying of them but if you have a car and get close o locations then that likely won't pose a big problem.

Like Stephen, I started out with a monorail ....a rather heavy and cumbersome Horseman LE but it did for me for quite a while and allowed me to learn the basics of LF.

just got to find 4x5 reels for developing now

As a last resort tray developing ( incomplete darkness ofcourse;)) isn’t as difficult as what some people may say.’Without doubt more practical and easier methods ( daylight tanks ) are available and advisable but don’t dismiss trays if nothing comes your way before you have sheets to develop.

And welcome to the slippery slope of LF

:plus1:

It only gets bigger and better now. First 5x4, then up to medium format 5x7, then 10x8...

And the next thing you know you'll be building your own 11x14...

I've had a play with it before the wife takes it off me to wrap it up for xmas. I shall be practising my surprised face :)

Looks a really nice camera. Had to clean the lens up a bit but seems ok now. The old chap gave me 2 packs of film. Ilford Delta 100 that expired in 2005 and some Velvia the expired in 2012. Not cold stored so should give some interesting results!

What lens is it?

I've had a play with it before the wife takes it off me to wrap it up for xmas. I shall be practising my surprised face :)

Looks a really nice camera. Had to clean the lens up a bit but seems ok now. The old chap gave me 2 packs of film. Ilford Delta 100 that expired in 2005 and some Velvia the expired in 2012. Not cold stored so should give some interesting results!

Have you managed to have a play with it yet?

Cambo also made a beautiful little top of the range 6x9 monorail.
Most of those imported into the UK tended to be junior models as they were both lighter and simpler and less costly.

A 6x9 with full movements is slightly more difficult to set up as you need to be far more precise and a good screen magnifier is essential.
Sinar also made a really dainty one that is rare as hens teeth.. I only ever saw one in real life. it was being sold as a cased full kit by a German photographer in Spain, when I lived and worked there in the late 50's, unfortunately it was out of my price bracket, But at that time I mostly used a Plaubel 10x8 monorail with a 5x7 back so I really did not need it, however nice it was.

Monorails are far easier to set up and use than field cameras. however they are also far bigger and heavier, and not ideal for hiking with. But for commercial and industrial use, or in the studio, that is hardly a consideration.

Back