Camcorder/camera set up for kids vlogging

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
I fear this may be a can of worms but I'm struggling to find the info I'm after on google.

My 6/7 year old daughter, like many kids, loves making videos. She doesn't do anything with them particularly but even so, her current camera is a Vtech thing aimed at toddlers and even an easy going 7 year old has noticed the dreadful quality of it's output.

We're contemplating getting her a better video camera for her birthday and I'm just starting to try to understand what is the best approach to this for a bit of future proofing. If this were a stills camera, I wouldn't need to ask but I know only a tiny bit more than sweet FA about video. Never the less, from what I'm reading, we need to pay attention to sound quality perhaps more than worrying too much about the image side of things. So I think we need an external mic input. I assume we might get better value with a camcorder than a stills style camera but maybe I'm wrong? I would assume we shouldn't worry too much about 4k but good quality 1080p I guess would be a minimum. A selfie screen is probably a must. I know the golden question is always what's the budget. I don't think there is one particularly but being realistic, 7 year olds can break things so I don't want too much tied up in it and this could ultimately go either way, she might get bored of it and it sits in a drawer or she might get quite keen and end up wanting something more advanced later on anyway. I guess in my head, I'm imaging something under £200, ideally less. I guess we'll need to think about an external mic and memory card etc. too. Oh, BTW, something indestructible would be nice!

Anybody have any input?

Galaxy s7? Or Sony a5100 kit has fast face tracking and Oss but will be slightly over budget.

Galaxy s7? Or Sony a5100 kit has fast face tracking and Oss but will be slightly over budget.

I'd half wondered about a phone, probably without a sim but I'm a little concerned that might invite more problems, with wanting apps and games etc.

Will take a look at the A5100 though. Thanks.

Back