Free Camcorder fix or throw?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
My 9 year old Panasonic camcoder started cutting out after about 5 seconds, so the question was chuck or try and fix . As it wasn't working properly why not find out wahat the problem was. Turns out the cooling fan had stopped working causing the camcorder to overheat and cut out. So eased a gap in a joint by undoing a few screws and gave the fan a blow with a rocket blower. Put it all back together and yippee it is back fully working again. So if yours is doing the same thing my effort worked may work for you as welb

well made up my mine and P/T exchanging for a Sony FDR-AX53. main reason is to be able to produce steadier footage while walking. Nothing wrong with the panasonic HC x-900m but if I sold it on here and something did go wrong I would not forgive myself. Very hard to actually find a retailer but I found one giving a discount, seems camcorders are not in vogue at the moment as everyone is going to mirrorless cameras. Also ordered spare batteries and charger and front filter ( may gat a hood later on) .One thing I do like is the handle with the controls on, saves messing about using other hand to make adjustments on the move. The hot shoe is in the middle of the camera body whereas the panasonic has a clip- in unit that fits right at the front making a mike with a muffler (dead cat) more of a nuiisance.
Of course i will miss the panasonic, it has been to so many countries with me I have lost count but 9 years old it is now ancient in camera terms. In tghe post above it looks as if it is starting to give a few problems, yet i have only had to have the stills/video/replay switch replaced once.
Sony did make one with twun lenses, one as normal and the other on a swivel on the outside edge of the screen, brilliant idea if vlogging. You could video yourself in a bit of the main screen don't know why they dropped it from production

Just got to wait now for everything to arrive

Last edited:
I watched a video a while back, and it was excellent in terms of quality etc.
When I checked it was the Sony that was used to film it.
I was that impressed I did consider getting one, but it would end up just sitting in the cupboard.
I have to say though, in the past I used to shoot a lot of family video of holidays etc, and we've got hours and hours of great memories.
I started in the early 80's with a JVC set up where the camera and recorder were seperate. Felt like I was part of a TV crew.... :LOL:
My wife used to moan because I filmed absolutely everything, although she's now glad that I did.....

Bob my first venture into movies/videos was with this

_DSC4682a.jpg

yes the old tape type and it still works

Think I am going more into video than stills at the moment.

Last edited:
Well camcorder ordered together with batteries ,charger, UV filter, lens hood, lens cap and pistol grip with wired control. All from different suppliers and my Panasonic taken in part ex. Best stand by front door next week

DSC00006.JPG
absolutely pitch black in the kitchen but the camcorder could still light up a small section. Leads me to norty thoughts about creating ghost photos and videos. No I mustn't must I, ha ha wonder if it can be done with time lapse shots ???? he he

I see the UK company i bought the Sony camcorder from have just upped their price by £46 so got in the right time. They now match other retailers

Last edited:
Back