Camcorder v GoPro Query

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have been considering getting a GoPro because I can see uses for it when I'm out doing my weekend warrior stuff of Photographing children's football. However, my camcorder, which is solely used for family stuff, conked out the other day and so needs replacing.

I can't really afford to get both.

So, is the Gopro suitable for general family videoing, or is a dedicated camcorder still best for this?

And if I were to simply replace my camcorder (I do feel that zooming gives it an advantage over a Gopro for domestic use), can anybody recommend one that provides a time lapse option, because I'd potentially need this for my footy work?

Thank you

Rob

I love my GoPro but can't help but think it would be rubbish to record sports from a spectator POV.

Thanks for the response, gents.

I fully appreciate your points. I didn't actually want to do timelapse or normal video of the actual action. I'm happy just to photograph that. It's more the peripheral stuff.

Here's an example you'll be able to picture Phil, because it concerns our cup finals at the Manor Ground in Ilkeston.

I do the audio/visual presentation for our league's presentation night and last season I included a bit of tmelapse of folks putting up goals etc at one of our venues, which went down very well. So I thought that next year I'd like to do one of our cup final days from the side of the ground opposite the stand. It would run from when we start setting the goals up, through the players and supporters arriving, all the way through to the first kick off. I could do it with my d750 but obviously that would be required for taking photos.

Anyway, I have more or less discounted the GoPro for a number of reasons, but would still be interested to know if there are any camcorders that can do timelapse.

Ah yes, that's a good idea Rob.

I think most recent camcorders do timelapse. A quick google came up with this video which lists the manufacturer's ranges that have a timelapse function
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBuAvGkFgDU

I guess it all comes down to what you are going to use it for apart from the football, I like the Gopro because you can get a stabiliser, attach it to the bike, etc.

Both!!! I use my camcorder for kids football matches and anything where I need reach. Go-Pro is the one I use more though for messing with the kids and taking out on bike rides etc...

Hmm lack of zoom ability on the GoPro might not make it great for general domestic use.

I'd strongly urge you to have a look at any one of a number of much cheaper go pro alternatives, one example being the SJ4000. Have a look at some comparison reviews on YouTube.

I have a GoPro and SJ4000 and use them interchangeably. The SJ4000 uses all the same accessories too which is handy.

I also have a camcorder I use for filming basketball games.

Thank you for the advice, folks. It's very much appreciated.

As I said at the start, I was thinking in terms of getting a GoPro to go with my camcorder but then the camcorder broke. My dilemma was that I couldn't afford both.

Having taken on board your advice and looked at my priorities, I'm getting a replacement camcorder to begin with. Particularly as we're going away as a family in a couple of weeks' time to celebrate my daughter's 30th. And in any case, family moments won't wait until I can buy both!

I like the suggestion of having an action camera for knocking about with the kids (or grandkids in my case) as well as doing proposed footy timelapse stuff and will look into getting one in the new year.

Thank you for the Youtube link, Phil, I wasn't aware that timelapse was so common in camcorders nowadays!

Thank you for suggesting the SJ4000, fj1000. It's certainly one I will look into.

Back