Camera advice pls! £500 region

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at buying my first D-SLR and was hoping for some advice from you lovely people please! :D

My current cameras are: Olympus OM10, Nikon F55 & Fuji FinePix S6900.

I certainly slot into the amateur category of tog but I'd like to progress into "serious amateur" and possibly semi pro level so although I don't want to over-spec myself I'd like a certain level of future-proofing in my next camera that's going to be suitable for the most demanding situations that my budget allows....

I've got a budget in the region of £500 - £700. So many options! Nikon or Canon? (or indeed another brand!) Brand new or second hand? Bundled with two lenses or best body I can afford?

I'm not overly familiar with the major brands ranges but from what I've seen the Canon 400D or 450D looks like a possible option. Any good? Any others I should be considering? Any advice would be most greatfully received.

Cheers in advance

Octopus

nikon d80(or a d60 if you can't go for the d80)..but im biased..the canon are just as good.but as i don't know a lot about them i will let the canon user's fill you in with crap..sorry the details

oly E-510 twin lens kit ~ £400 which leaves you a couple of hundred towards a.n.other lens of your choice (plus a £10 adapter will get your existing OM lens' working on MF with the 510, adapters also available for the nikon lenses I think)

I've only had mine a week but I'm pleased with the value and image quality.

(retreats back under stone to await the onslaught of Canon and Nikon users)

edit:
Actually, from the reading I've done over the last couple of months I think the important thing is to choose glass rather than body. In the overall scheme of things the body cost is likely to be less than the glass cost by the time you've acquired 3 or 4 decetn lens.

Look at what sort of pics you want to take and check out the cost & quality of the lens you expect to use on the different systems.
(disclaimer : I know nothing)

:nono::nono:Oh dear. You didn't just ask the " Canon or Nikon " question did you.:nono::nono:

Go to your local camera shop and see which feels best. bestg advise you can be given.

you may then find the canon is too small, the nikon doesnt feel right or whatever. if you feel them, you can find what you like then look for the cheapest option on the net.

Theres a few Nikon D200`s about for that sort of money. You would be able to utilise your old Nikon lenses, and, its a very good camera. It will feel as good as your F55 and get you on the semi pro rung quite nicely.
Allan

A new 40d can be had for £500 after cashback at the moment, leaves you £200 for a lens. A used 30d warranted from a high street shop is going to be around £350 - not much difference for most users. Slightly bigger body than the 350/400/450 models which some find small in the grip.

Get yourself to a shop, and handle all cameras - Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sigma, Olympus - buyers guides will narrow your search, but at the end of the day it has to feel right

A little bit of reverse thinking required for this one I think. If you know the direction you want your photography to take, have a serious look at the lenses available for the future, after all it's not just the body but the lens system you are investing in.

Good advice to try handling each one to see what fits and which menu system you feel more comfortable with.

As for the Canon/Nikon question. Some folks take brand loyalty a bit too seriously but all the major manufacturers make good cameras, only you can decide which one suits you best.

Back