camera advise

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok... I have now finished ordering my lenses (for now :D). The next thing is get my new camera body.

My current body is Nikon D40X (like this as a walk around camera as its light!), great little body! Lenses are Nikon 16-85mm VR, Nikon 35mm AF-S G 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO, Sigma 24mm wideangle.

The types of photos I am looking to take are portrait, studio, macro, landscape, night, motorsport, etc. Quite a mix, but those are the things on the top of my list.

The bodies I am considering:

D200
D2X(S)
D300

Which should I be looking to buy? I have had some good advised on D300 based on the FPS rate and the ISO performance. Are there other features that I am missing that I should be thinking about? What is important to me, it needs to be easy to change settings (apeture, ISO, shutter, etc), decent FPS rate (for motorsport).

Just cannot decide which one! Thoughts/comments/reviews/advise/etc?

I'd go for the D300 as it's an upgrade I have been looking at. I know what you mean about wanting to make adjustments without constantly having to use the menu system. Have seen a lot of comments about fps and motorsport and I prefer to take single shots, I do have it set on continuous just in case but have never needed it yet so it would not put me off.

as a past D300 owner i'd go D300 - its a excellent bit of kit and you and wont be disappointed !

I'd go for the D300 as it's an upgrade I have been looking at. I know what you mean about wanting to make adjustments without constantly having to use the menu system. Have seen a lot of comments about fps and motorsport and I prefer to take single shots, I do have it set on continuous just in case but have never needed it yet so it would not put me off.

I just want something that will buffer slightly more when shooting RAW... Not asking 8 FPS but anything is better than my 2.3 FPS :)

Must admit the menu system is annoying for making changes!

Its a dfficult choice, especially since the D300 is most expensive of the lot and I rate the D2X rather highly. Used one, once before a little while ago.

as a past D300 owner i'd go D300 - its a excellent bit of kit and you and wont be disappointed !

Cheers! What do you shoot with now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish_magnet View Post

Canon 50D :nuts: - I wanted a lens that Nikon didn't do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish_magnet View Post

Canon 50D :nuts: - I wanted a lens that Nikon didn't do...

Traitor :bang: :rules: :bonk: :razz:

The D2X might beat the D300 in terms of weather sealing and handling, but the D300 is better in every other way, it's faster and has a better AF system. Image quality is marginal, but the D300 has the edge.

The D2X might beat the D300 in terms of weather sealing and handling, but the D300 is better in every other way, it's faster and has a better AF system. Image quality is marginal, but the D300 has the edge.

surely thats a REALLY good thing in this country ;)

The D2X weighs a ton and you'll spen a lot of money on spare batteries etc...

that bad??

Back