Camera advise

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Been browsing the forum unregistered for a while and thought it about time I registered.

I’m very new to photography, only taking photos of landscapes, etc on my iPhone 12. I thought it about time I stepped it up and brought myself a proper camera.

Having read up it appears mirrorless seems to be the way to go, I’ve been looking at the Sony A6000 which seems to get decent reviews and also appears reasonably priced, as I don’t really want to spend more than £500.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'll get an A6000 and lens for that easily.

It might also be worth looking into the cost of any lenses you might like. Plus if you know anyone who already does photography, what system they use to share or borrow stuff.

That's the whole reason I picked the A6000 for my boy. Body and astro lens for about £450 plus he now has a few of my old lenses.

Thanks for the reply.

I do like the look of the A6000, also the size seems fairly nice as I don’t want something bulky.

How does it compare to the X-T200? They seem very similar price wise.

On paper the X-T200 has more features like touch screen and better video, but its the same size sensor so your going to get the same kind of image from both. It really depends on ergonomics and what ecosystem you like, the Sony does have more lens options though... But I like the dials on Fuiji .. So many things to consider.

On paper the X-T200 has more features like touch screen and better video, but its the same size sensor so your going to get the same kind of image from both. It really depends on ergonomics and what ecosystem you like, the Sony does have more lens options though... But I like the dials on Fuiji .. So many things to consider.

it’s really tricky, I prefer the design of the Sony however it is quite a bit older. Having not used either I’m having to go on recommendation/reviews.

Have you any other suggestions I can ponder over? :)

The Olympus range will give you a lot more for your money ,but it’s a marmite system ,some take to it others can’t but bodies and lenses tend to be 30-40% cheaper and lighter than other systems .worth a look though

The Olympus range will give you a lot more for your money ,but it’s a marmite system ,some take to it others can’t but bodies and lenses tend to be 30-40% cheaper and lighter than other systems .worth a look though

If looking at Micro Four Thirds Panasonic have the GX80 and the more expensive GX9 which are both RF style like the Sony A6000 series. The MFT sensor is smaller than the A6000's APS-C sensor so the image quality may not be up to the quality of the Sony A6000 but in practical terms for many people any image quality differences may be unnoticeable to minimal. Some MFT lenses are available at very nice prices on the used market.

I would of course recommend full frame but that will be outside your budget as lenses come into it too.

If the Fuji system had been around when I started out, it would've been Fuji all the way. Some great little cameras and very decent lenses kicking about secondhand too.

I'm sure other brands will satisfy as well but my preference would be Fuji.

Thanks all for your advise - it’s really appreciated.

I think I’ve decided on the Fuji film - although finding one used is becoming a bit tricky, so I’m considering new, or potentially going for the Sony used. Either seem to be great cameras.

Before you go Fuji, just my two cents, I find that if you are on a tight budget Fuji lenses tend to be on the more expensive side and the other “issue” is the processing of RAW (the ones from the X Trans sensor) files which require a good raw converter or just be happy with out of the camera JPEGs.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Mintchocs.

I've been watching a few A6000's on eBay but they only seem to be going for around £80-£100 less than new - is there a benefit to buying new over used? Accept for the obvious? Doesn't seem like a huge saving.

Back