Camera and lens for macro?

Edit My Images
No
Some suggestions would be great. Its not for me, a family member in their 70s that is capable.
Needs to have IS in either lens or body.
Must be able to work fully off the rear lcd.
Shoots raw

A high end compact, price not really an issue.

Thank you.

Fuji X20 or the recently launched X30.

Nice and compact; well built; good grip; has two macro modes; RAW; OVF(X20) or EVF(X30) and rear LCD; internal IS.

Fuji X20 or the recently launched X30.
Nice and compact; well built; good grip; has two macro modes; RAW; OVF(X20) or EVF(X30) and rear LCD; internal IS.

Hi John, Just to add to your comments about the X20, although a really excellent little camera (It's one of the cameras I have) and is capable of producing some really good results.

It is not capable of shooting true macro (1:1) in it's standard form and neither is the new X30. I know the menu says macro & super macro etc and very good they are, they're only close focus modes not true macro which I understand is what the OP is asking about going by the title of his tread.

George.

I've not used a compact for macro (I use a DSLR) but some of the guys on the macro section including gardernershelper use a compact with close up filters on the front of the lens and gets truly excellent results
its definitely worth checking out gardernershelper thread which is a sticky in the macro section:)

Last edited:
I'm also experimenting with the EOS-M for Macro. Lots of options to customise and the price is very reasonable atm.

There are no dedicated macro lenses in the EF-M mount at the moment, but you can use an EF-M to EF adapter and use any of Canon's EF/EF-S range with it. I've been playing around with reverse mounting the EF-M kit lens and my next task is to pick up so EF-M fit extension tubes....

maybe a nex, then you got a world of classic glass, extension tubes are cheap to
but you do lose is ...

thank you, what do people think of rx100 iii vs x30 ?

Back