Beginner Camera and lens suggestions, Fuji + 2 prime lens vs Leica Q fix lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello to everyone

I am a beginner, just made a course about the basics of potography, so now i need to buy a camera and i am ready to invest a decent amount to have something valuable to use for a long time and exercise myself. Lets say i have a budget of 3500 pounds.
I love mostly: street photography, that for me mainly consists of taking pics of urban areas (so kind of landscape but not actually huge panoramas) and the people around me.

Camera
I am undecided among a Leica Q with 28mm fixed lens and a Fuji Pro (or T2) body + 2 prime lens.
Leica is full frame mirrorless but mounts a 28mm fix lens only, that although superb, is always the same and not changeable.
Fuji is very good as well, a bit bigger and at the same price would allow me to take two different lens.

I slant for prime lens in general, as they told me they are better than zoom ones. Secondly with the maximum aperture possible (all the rest reamining equal).
I had thought to take a very wide angle for landscapes and a tighter lens for portraits, so my first choice were for:

Links Removed by Moderator - please see forum rules.

A friend of mine suggested me the second way (fuji) but he discouraged me to take those lens. He is a very good photographer and he said that he shoots only 15% of his pics with these extreme lens and the remaining 80% with 35-50mm.

What you think about? First, better to start ot experiment with a fix lens and a top brand as Leica or to be more flexible with a multilens fuji?
And if i take an interchangeable camera as Fuji could those lens be a good starting point? or is better to take a 35mm equivalent to 50mm? Are there 50mm with a very large aperture?

thank you very much

Also have a look not only the price of lens for a camera but also the range of lenses as well. This could be the deciding issue

Have you considered Panasonic or Olympus? The lens systems are interchangeable and between them there's quite a choice of nice primes. Lumix bodies can be had quite cheaply used too. You could save a fortune and spend the money on travelling with your camera :).

PS. I'd cross the fixed lens Leica off the list straight away (at leastuntil you have a better idea of what focal length you use the most). Personally if one focal length is all I could have it wouldn't be 28mm. It's one of the reasons I hardly use my phone camera.

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no way you should be contemplating splashing £3,500 on your first camera set up. Despite what you may think right now, you don't have any proper idea of what sort of photography will suit your abilities and temperament.

Your first camera is a method of learning how to use a camera, arrange composition and process the results. In 12 months time (or less) you are quite likely to be thinking along different lines.

Start with something relatively simple and cheap. That way if you want to change direction, or give up altogether, you won't have a vast fortune tied up.

Asking on here is all well and good, but most will recommend the systems they are presently using. By all means listen to opinions but go into a decent camera shop (most of us agree who are good and who are not!) and physically hold the gear.

Remember the old saying....A fool and his money are soon parted.

Good luck with your search but buy Fuji ( cos that's wot I use:D)

Yes to everything everyone has said so far :D

28mm is certainly thought to be one of the classic street shooters focal lengths but I do wonder what the Leica will give the OP over the more flexible and no doubt capable Fuji. Would any additional image quality the Leica offers really matter.

As above I do also wonder if the OP will settle on 28mm, maybe the OP will prefer 35 or 50 or 85mm... I like 35mm but read an article some time ago by a famous war photographer who only ever used a Nikon 85mm lens, he said that it was the best lens ever made and if he couldn't take the shot with that lens he wasn't interested in taking the shot :D My point being it takes all sorts.

I think in the OP's place I'd go for a quality interchangeable lens camera and two lenses, a standard range zoom and a fast prime. I'd add a 1" compact for wider and longer shots and more discrete shooting.

OP, good luck :D

Last edited:
First camera. Get a short list and try them out. Don’t focus on one type. Don’t settle for I will get used to it. Remember what is new today is ancient tomorrow

First camera. Get a short list and try them out. Don’t focus on one type. Don’t settle for I will get used to it. Remember what is new today is ancient tomorrow

A great reason to buy used, especially when you don't know exactly what you want or will need. Saves you taking a massive hit $£ wise if you decide to sell.

Last edited:
Thank you very much to all. I agree and probably will take Fuji. Not yet 100% sure if the T2 or the Pro (both very good value for money), and above all undecided on the choice of lens.
I apologise for the mistake regarding the links by the way.
The two lens i mentioned are two fuji ones, a 16mm equivalent to 24mm and a 56mm equivalent to 80mm. So the first would be for more open and wide targets and the second for portraits. But maybe they are too extreme? Maybe better to start with a 35mm equivalent to 50mm....not really sure

A 35mm equivalent is a great place to start. There is very little you can't do with it if you use your feet.

Don't take this the wrong way, but there's no way you should be contemplating splashing £3,500 on your first camera set up. Despite what you may think right now, you don't have any proper idea of what sort of photography will suit your abilities and temperament.

Your first camera is a method of learning how to use a camera, arrange composition and process the results. In 12 months time (or less) you are quite likely to be thinking along different lines.

Start with something relatively simple and cheap. That way if you want to change direction, or give up altogether, you won't have a vast fortune tied up.

Asking on here is all well and good, but most will recommend the systems they are presently using. By all means listen to opinions but go into a decent camera shop (most of us agree who are good and who are not!) and physically hold the gear.

Remember the old saying....A fool and his money are soon parted.

Good luck with your search but buy Fuji ( cos that's wot I use:D)

thank you, so which are the best supplied shops in London? (if you know them, maybe you dont live here)

Sorry. I don't live within 200 miles of Lunnun. But..there are plenty on here who do and know the best shops.
Maybe start a separate thread asking for suggestions.

No typo, a 50mm is fine but I prefer a 35mm for streets and interiors. Sometimes it's harder to get away from your subject but you can usually go closer.

The Leica Q is my perfect street camera, and I only hesitate to sell it now because I will be using my A9 in it's stead.

You have the option of zone focusing, but I found the AF so fast I just shot wide open at 1.7 and it looked great.

I used it for a while as my only camera, only took the Q to new york.

https://danielcook.com/2016/12/03/new-york/

Loved it so much I started a Leica Q facebook group..

and blog

https://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com/

21823201002_33d1c06413_b.jpg

l1100998-edit.jpg

23101663505_6fce731e82_b.jpg

22374107984_622be28638_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back