Camera Backpack & Cycling

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at a few backpacks for my camera & lenses while going out on my mountain bike.I was wondering if anyone has any backpack that they can recommend?Also not to sure if I should get one where my tripod can attach like the Lowepro flipside 200/300 or come up with something like a rear pannier bracket for the tripod on the bike.

How is it with a tripod attached Chris?Is it comfy and takes the weight well?

I have tripod issues when riding what do you use? I kinda want a Vitruvian so it will fit inside the frame under the top bar but my 055 is too big

It's a red snapper tripod.It would need to go at the back on a pannier bracket if I wanted it on the bike.Seen a few backpacks that can hold the tripod as well but want to know how they feel comfort & weight wise.

I've found putting my manfrotto 055 xprob on the bag leads to instability

dunno how long or heavy your redsnapper is

The backpacks that I've been looking at have the tripods mounted at the back.Do you find that any of the gear rattles around Chris?Bet you have some nice areas for cycling in Yorkshire.

depending on what gear you want to carry i can recommend the lowpro primus AW, i use it on my bike occasionally ans iv had no isues with tripod, gripped d90, 50mm, 18-105, and 50-500 flash and a few other odds and sods, can get all my gear in and still have room for waterproofs and sarny etc, water i carry on bike.

(PS im selling my lowpro as its too small for me now lol)

Nope, everything's fine in my pack, a gripped D90 a couple of primes and a few flashes, there has quite often been a couple of light stands on the back aswell which isn't bad for a short ride but you definitely know they are there!Yeah there's some great back roads but you've got to venture quite far to get some real hills though.

Well I have won a brand new Lowepro Primus AW on ebay for £46 so hopefully I will be cycling/photographing all over the place very soon.Still might get a rear bike rack for the tripod if it's a bit heavy on the backpack.

If I was cycling and had to carry any sort of camera gear, then I would fit some kind of rack behind the saddle, with a frame attaching to the rear dropouts. There is no way I would put a camera or tripod on my back. There is always going to be the occasion that you stack the bike, and if you land on either C or T or both, you are going to be hurt real bad, and the kit isn't going to be happy either.
I only say this as an ex racing cyclist, so maybe I am just being a bit of a wimp.

Not gonna be riding like a speed demon andy..not in my shape of fitness.:LOL: But yeah I think I will deffo get a rear rack for the tripod or work something out for it.We both own the A700 so I think we both know who will come off worse if I fall...ME!:D

Not gonna be riding like a speed demon andy..not in my shape of fitness.:LOL: But yeah I think I will deffo get a rear rack for the tripod or work something out for it.We both own the A700 so I think we both know who will come off worse if I fall...ME!:D

I don't even want to think where a long zoom lens would end up :eek:
A tripod is quite difficult to carry, would it be possible to somehow attach it to the top tube without hampering the knees?

I ride a bit of BMX and I have the Dakine sequence. its a bit big but it holds my tripod and three flash stands...

Cheers for the pic Tom...does look like it will be pretty heavy with the Red Snapper.

Was thinking of something like this for the tripod.
DSC00650.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

Apologies about the slight hijack but do people reckon it would be possible to go running with one of these without damaging the equipment?

Apologies about the slight hijack but do people reckon it would be possible to go running with one of these without damaging the equipment?

One of what? :thinking:

I think there is more chance of damaging yourself if you try running with all that on your back.:LOL:

I wouldnt run with any camera bag tbh, definitely not with tripod :)

Well I'm not necessarily looking to do triathlons with one, basically I do a run outside a gym once a week or so and the routes are usually quite scenic so taking my camera with me wouldn't be a bad idea. I won't be looking to take massive amounts of equipment with me (or a tripod) just nice to have a camera there for those opportunity shots.

I use a Lowepro Slingshot 200 and last year I was knocked off, head on with a car cutting across me at 20mph, I was mashed up a bit but my camera was fine. One witness said I flew one and a half car lengths in the air before landing and rolling.
Contents at time a Canon 400D with 18-55mm kit lens, a Tamron 55-200mm zoom lens, a small tripod, a Canon A570is compact and some filters and cards etc.
All still working fine, in fact the Doc at A&E took a few photos with it before resetting my broken fingers so that I could show the 'Plastic Surgeons at St Thomas' the damage.
:) Lowepro definitely gets my approval.

Back