Camera backpack for 15.6'' laptop

Name
Sebastian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have recently purchased new laptop with 15.6'' screen.
It doesn't fit to my current camera backpack (GEM - that I am looking to replace anyway).

The good thing about GEM (a copy of Lowepro Computrekker) is that it it within strict Wizzair hand luggage limits (55x40x20cm...).

Can you recommend a backpack that:

- will store my laptop and the same amount of gear (main compartment: D3+24-70mm, D7000+50mm, 15-30mm, 80-200mm, 2 flash units)
- will pass as hand luggage at the airport?

Let me know if you can fink of anything!

Cheers,

Seb

I used to have the GEM backpack and liked it but needed more room. I upgraded to a Lowepro Pro Runner 350AW which is brilliant! Holds all my gear with space to spare and has the laptop section which they specify is 15.4" but I'm not sure how that will cope with your laptop if thats 15.6"?

Hand luggage wise, Lowepro list the bag as approved hand luggage but I think ultimately it comes down to different airlines. It's not much bigger in size than the GEM. I found in the past with airlines it seems to mainly come down to the weight of the gear rather than how many cm too big the bag is but again this is going to vary.

I have a fastpack 350 and it will nearly get to where you want to be. I just took it on a whiz air flight and no one said anything (didn't measure it).

I fit a gripped D90 with a 300f4 in the main bottom. I have the 18-55, 55-200, 35 1.8, and an SB400 also in the bottom. I also have a cokin P holder, a P filter, another c-plr in original case. There is still room to spare in the bottom. The top is not divided into padded pouches, which is where you might hit a snag. For your setup, the D3 with 80-200 on it would replace my gripped 90 and 300/4. You'd have to take the lens off the 7k and it would fit in where my 35 and 18- sit now. the 24-70 will fit where I have the 55-2. The 50 will fit anywhere if it is the 1.8D. that leaves you with the 2 flashes and the 15-30 sigma in the top compartment.

a 15" laptop is no problem. I have a 13" macbook and there is room to spare. I've put two macbooks or my macbook and my work dell (14") so a 15" macbook would definitely make it.

At the least I'd have a look at the 350 if you can see one locally.

thanks
rick

Any other options?

I have £50 Jessops voucher that needs to go to the shop asap :)

The lowepro vertex 100 has a dedicated laptop pouch. Not sure what size it holds but worth a look on the web for dimensions etc.

100 is a bit too small, even 200 would struggle. 300 seems SO big. Will have to look further

I have the 350 and the problem with that bag is that if you have your laptop and camera it becomes heavy and the air lines will complain and moan about it as most if not all air lines state your only allowed 7kg for your hand luggage

I always carry my gear on and have never had my carry on luggage weighed. As long as you're not struggling to carry it most airlines seem cool.

That was the case until Wizzair went crazy...(even more).
I am a frequent Wizzair passenger and since February they have checked my hand luggage on every single time...:shrug:

I can't risk to check-in my cameras or to argue with airport staff that have no idea how precious my equipment is :/

The current Wizzair regulations allow 55x40x20cm hand luggage. 20cm! :wacky: That's 5cm less than British airways.
And it's not like there is not enough space in the overhead storage... :wacky:

The answer to that would have to be no, i used one with a Dell Latitude E6500 which measured

Width: 35.8
Depth: 25.7
Height: 3.3

And it only just squeezed in very tightly

What do you think about Think Tank range?

Worth paying extra?

I like this one

Hi Sebastian,

I have a similar dilemma and have narrowed my search to the Streetwalker Hardback or Airport Antidote.

I was going to post later to see if anyone has experience of either, so may as well ask here.

Regards
Neil.

Just wondering if you made a decision yet.

I'm still sat on the fence between the two Think Tank bags.

If you have committed would love a mini review.

Regards
Neil.

Back