Camera backpack recommendations please

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I’m after some help if you can please.
I’m starting to use my tripod more often and am looking for a large backpack to hold my camera and lenses plus gear for a few days travelling, I’m looking around the 50ltr mark but my main issue is holding my manfrotto tripod. I’ve tried my current backpack with the tripod inserted into the bottle pocket at the side but it seems to pull to one side on my back and even more so when I’m on off trains etc and just sling it over one shoulder. My other issue, I loose the pouch for my water bottle.
Could anyone recommend anything that would hold the tripod on the front of the backpack securely or even better inside the backpack so it’s not catching on things etc. ideally I would like side access to the camera gear too.
I understand it’s a lot to ask but I’m hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
Many thanks

My backpack is an older lowepro Vertex 300 which has a centre mounted tripod holder (external) as well as provisions to clip on pouches to the sides. Plenty of pockets, waterproofed zips, rain cover If anything happened to mine, I’d get another!

Last edited:
The Mindshift BackLight 45l has a great back mounted tripod carry system (easily manages a Gitzo 4 Series) and pretty deep water canteen side pockets.

GC

most backpacks will allow you to mount the tripod in the centre at the back (even those with side mounting facilities)

problem is that it ends up swinging around way behind you (if you have a large and heavy tripod - and there's no such thing as a light and sturdy support)

I'd advise you to try before you buy - find a bricks and mortar store and take your gear in

and for goodness sake buy from the shop - even if it costs a few quid more

Dave

this is the one I use

camera bag

you can either carry the tripod on opposite side to water carry pocket or strap it to the back ( they provide the straps for that to)
it has a segment that fits a laptop/pad plus a spacious pocket at the top that you can fit lots of accessories in. in the main part I can fit my R7, 4 lenses, flash, external mic, my drone and controller.

You don't mention budget...

I've used an Atlas Adventure since 2018 and it's taken everything I've thrown at it and laughed. It's still in excellent condition 6 years later. My initial TP review is here.

Plenty of room for camera gear plus provisions/coats etc and you can fold a third of the interior to give more room for cameras and less for other stuff or vice versa. Rear opening that opens the whole pack (rather than just the bit between the straps. Side carrying tripod with straps on both sides and water bottle pouches on both sides so you can carry either. Also has a side carrying handle for things like trains etc. Straps are wide and comfy and with the waist strap done up, it doesn't feel unbalanced with my heavy (FLM + Arca head) tripod setup.

Not cheap though.

Finding right backpack is almost a science .. There is unfortunately absolutely no guarantee, that backpack that somebody else would recommend will fit to you and to your needs .. moreover the backpack that somebody else would praise as the best backpack in the world can easily turn out to be disastrous choice for you and wasted money ..

Let me share as a generic rant my opinion based upon my extensive experience with traveling, backpacking and hiking with my camera:

ad. big backpacks) that carry other gear and some camera stuff - 50L+ ::: I am tall guy, 6'5" (195cm) in height ... finding right backpack that would fit my camera gear + travel gear (or camping gear) and that would also fit properly to my torso length and that will have a decent carry system (hipbelt, shoulder harness, air ventilation and back panel) turned out to be impossible .. At least in segment of pure camera backpacks .. let me not bother you here with long story when I can do it short - based upon my experience I prefer to have a normal hiking backpack of my choice that fits me the best and I use a camera inserts instead .. There are many on the market, the most famous are probably f-stop ICU inserts .. (I have "small" and "medium") ..

FYI: if you're interested I was using for one year one of the best camera backpacks available - Wandrd Fernweh .. here is my review on their site, there are a lot of spoilers

ad. medium backpacks) they are camera backpacks primarily with a little space for something more, so 30L+ ::: here it really makes a sense to have some pure camera backpack. Not small, not big. Unfortunately even these backpacks are required to fit comfortably, Tripod, camera gear and some daily stuff will easily exceed 25 pounds (11kg) but it is often required that you have a quick access to your gear. Yes, the backpanel access is mega-cool - I won't lie you. Again to make long story short - due to my height and hiking experience I didn't find a proper backpack that I would like unconditionally .. I had Mindshift BackLight 36L - sold after two years, I have Tasmanian Tiger camera backpack - I hate it and like it in same time, I was testing out Shimoda Action X40 - probably the best pure camera backpack, but still, pff ++ I had several other older camera backpacks that fit into this category ... Result ? Similarly as with big backpacks I tend to use a smaller hiking backpack (my current small adventure backpack is Ortlieb Atrack 35L) + I use my f-stop insert.

ad. small backpacks) here it probably doesn't matter .. if you like it, if it has a features that you're looking for, go for it ;) .. point here is, that these guys are just casual and you will not load them very heavily ... but this is not your question obviously ..

Summary: pure photography backpacks are in my opinion overpriced, they usually don't fit good as hiking backpacks and they tend to be heavy often loaded with a lot of features that nobody will use all. I've lost my faith that pure photography backpacks exists for a tall guy who wants: back access, simple and relatively light, with good carry system and balanced protection against mechanical damage and wet .. I use instead some hiking backpack (I have many) + ICU (internal camera unit) insert ... Small/casual photo bags don't matter. Get what you like.

Personal Recommendation: not going to give any regarding pure photo backpacks ... but I can share my experience that Ortlieb Atrack is awesome piece of gear that will never let you down, that is not overpriced and that you can use for every adventure, but it is not primarily a photography backpack ..

Hi all, many for the replies, I’ve just got in from work so I’ve only had a quick glance through but will have a proper read and reply again later today.
Budget wise I’m thinking around £350 max I keep going back to the Shimoda backpack from the limited research I have done before posting here but I’m undecided.
Once again many thanks and will reply later once I’ve had a proper read.

I've just bought a Shimoda and returned it. I didn't like the very rigid sides to the inserts.
I proposed to use the side entry but it was not easy to get the camera in and out.

Have a look at the Tenba Fulton range. They are good value but only rear access I'm afraid.

I've also looked at the Compagnon backpacks (direct from Germany) which are a similar price to Shimoda. They look very good but the problem is you can't handle them as there is no UK stockist and if you don't like them sending them back will cost a lot.

I prefer to have a normal hiking backpack of my choice that fits me the best and I use a camera inserts instead .. There are many on the market, the most famous are probably f-stop ICU inserts .. (I have "small" and "medium") ..
I've been looking into using a standard backpack but had been put off by the thought of my gear being loose and only protected by what I concocted.
I hadn't seen these inserts before.
Great idea and not overpriced.
Thanks.

I hadn't seen these inserts before.
Great idea and not overpriced.
Thanks.

LOL ... if you buy both, this and this, they are mega-overpriced :D .. 180 euros .. crazy ... at least you can store your camera gear in them home .. camera gear (lenses especially) + dust == disaster .. but if you'll invest into them they will last for lifetime and you can use them with any backpack, current or future

most backpacks will allow you to mount the tripod in the centre at the back (even those with side mounting facilities)

problem is that it ends up swinging around way behind you (if you have a large and heavy tripod - and there's no such thing as a light and sturdy support)

I'd advise you to try before you buy - find a bricks and mortar store and take your gear in

and for goodness sake buy from the shop - even if it costs a few quid more

Dave
Thank you, yes I’m certainly going to try a few out at the shops once I’ve got a shortlist and go from there.

You don't mention budget...

I've used an Atlas Adventure since 2018 and it's taken everything I've thrown at it and laughed. It's still in excellent condition 6 years later. My initial TP review is here.

Plenty of room for camera gear plus provisions/coats etc and you can fold a third of the interior to give more room for cameras and less for other stuff or vice versa. Rear opening that opens the whole pack (rather than just the bit between the straps. Side carrying tripod with straps on both sides and water bottle pouches on both sides so you can carry either. Also has a side carrying handle for things like trains etc. Straps are wide and comfy and with the waist strap done up, it doesn't feel unbalanced with my heavy (FLM + Arca head) tripod setup.

Not cheap though.
That looks really interesting my only issue is the lack of side access, I’m not a great fan of having to open the whole of the pack to grab the camera if an opportunity arrises while I’m travelling from home to accommodation etc with clothes etc in the top half.
It certainly looks like an excellent pack though and very well constructed.
Thanks for the info and the attached review.

I've just bought a Shimoda and returned it. I didn't like the very rigid sides to the inserts.
I proposed to use the side entry but it was not easy to get the camera in and out.

Have a look at the Tenba Fulton range. They are good value but only rear access I'm afraid.

I've also looked at the Compagnon backpacks (direct from Germany) which are a similar price to Shimoda. They look very good but the problem is you can't handle them as there is no UK stockist and if you don't like them sending them back will cost a lot.
Many thanks, will have a look at the compagnon ones.

this is the one I use

camera bag

you can either carry the tripod on opposite side to water carry pocket or strap it to the back ( they provide the straps for that to)
it has a segment that fits a laptop/pad plus a spacious pocket at the top that you can fit lots of accessories in. in the main part I can fit my R7, 4 lenses, flash, external mic, my drone and controller.
Hi, do you find the vanguard packs to be well constructed?
My only concern is my cullman pack is only a couple of years old and one zip is playing up at times and the stitching went on one of the buckles, I’ve managed to stitch it back on but how long it’s going to last I don’t know and that was a similar price point to a lot of the vanguard gear. I’m thinking do I pay more and hopefully have better quality. Decisions decisions.

My 'large' backpack is an old Lowepro Nature Trekker II - with straps / pockets for mounting a tripod in the side.
My 'trick' when I was going to use it this way was to switch around the internal layout, so that instead of a even distribution, the weight was biased on the oposite side to the one I'd strap on the tripod - with a bit of trial and error, I was able to get a configuration that meant I had a reasonably balanced bag with or without the tripod, just by swapping a couple of items inside (EG Swap the 16-35 f/2.8 and the 50 f/1.4).

I keep looking at the f-stop bags, but don't get out with the big bag often enough to justify the cost of a replacement.

I keep looking at the f-stop bags, but don't get out with the big bag often enough to justify the cost of a replacement.
f-stop small ICU is actually not big .. It can fit into smaller hiking backpack .. it all depends on if you have a camera backpack that you're happy with ... because I am (as mentioned above) 6'5" tall the very most of uni-size camera backpacks simply don't fit me well ... I use f-stop insert with my Ortlieb Atrack 35L which is basically for me a daily hike backpack that kills 3+ birds with one stone - it has adjustable back for different torso lengths, it has back access, it's designed to be 100% waterproof, it's reasonably simple, rugged and still relatively light .. the best feature on this backpack is how incredibly reliable tool it is no matter of weather or even activity .. I had in my life tens of different backpacks ... if you'd ask me to pick top 3 the Ortlieb will be among them because the concept is just unique ... They even make with this concept also some urban-style backpacks too ...

f-stop small ICU is actually not big .. It can fit into smaller hiking backpack .. it all depends on if you have a camera backpack that you're happy with ... because I am (as mentioned above) 6'5" tall the very most of uni-size camera backpacks simply don't fit me well ... I use f-stop insert with my Ortlieb Atrack 35L which is basically for me a daily hike backpack that kills 3+ birds with one stone - it has adjustable back for different torso lengths, it has back access, it's designed to be 100% waterproof, it's reasonably simple, rugged and still relatively light .. the best feature on this backpack is how incredibly reliable tool it is no matter of weather or even activity .. I had in my life tens of different backpacks ... if you'd ask me to pick top 3 the Ortlieb will be among them because the concept is just unique ... They even make with this concept also some urban-style backpacks too ...
It's the Tilopa I keep thinking about....which is 50l, so quite large.

Hi, do you find the vanguard packs to be well constructed?
My only concern is my cullman pack is only a couple of years old and one zip is playing up at times and the stitching went on one of the buckles, I’ve managed to stitch it back on but how long it’s going to last I don’t know and that was a similar price point to a lot of the vanguard gear. I’m thinking do I pay more and hopefully have better quality. Decisions decisions.
I have a couple of Vanguard bags; the Veo Active 46 and the Veo Adapter R48, and find them to be very well made. No issues whatsoever.

Not sure those two models would fit with the requirements you outlined in your original post, but they are very well made.

Not sure those two models would fit with the requirements you outlined in your original post, but they are very well made.
That’s reassuring. I do like the look of some of their bags and a couple look to have plenty of straps for attaching tripods etc.

I use the Lowpro aw550? (I think) But personally I never attact the tripod to the bag. My bag has tripod straps and a foot holder on the outside front of the bag, but thats not where I want any weight. I use a strap on the tripod itself and hang it over my shoulder first, then put on the bag (with that side strap a bit longer.
Not only is the weight close to my body but it's not swinging about 2 foot behind me catching on every bush. The bag holds it tight in place.

I see that Peak Design have brought out new camera cubes, similar to the F-Stop ICUs.

My camera bag criteria is set by the size of the largest lens I will be taking with me, and the recent purchase of the Lowepro 650AW from here as dictated by my Nikkor 500/4.

This thing protrudes at least 12 inches from my back and a tripod would add about 4 inches.... A nature stop tells you how much a big back laden down plays with your centre of gravity...

I don't think the 650AW is available new though, the 550 being the biggest it seems...

I use the Lowpro aw550? (I think) But personally I never attact the tripod to the bag. My bag has tripod straps and a foot holder on the outside front of the bag, but thats not where I want any weight. I use a strap on the tripod itself and hang it over my shoulder first, then put on the bag (with that side strap a bit longer.
Not only is the weight close to my body but it's not swinging about 2 foot behind me catching on every bush. The bag holds it tight in place.
That’s an interesting idea, I’m going to try that.
Thanks for the tip.

I use a Lowe Pro Powder BP 500 for my smaller kit with a tripod on the side (it has a fold out holder) It carries 2 X-T2 bodies one with 10-24 the other gripped with 50-140 plus converter, filters etc..

DSC04161.JPG

For my bigger kit and tripod (Medium Format film or digital) I use an F-Stop Tilopa, that carries;

Digital: 2 x Fuji GFX 50S bodies one with 20-35 the other with 32-64 plus the 100-200.

Film: 2 x Bronica SQ-Ai bodies, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses plus filters light meter spare back and film etc.

DSC04231.JPG

Whichever I am out with I always have an X-T2 with 16-55 in a Lowe Pro camera pouch so I can shoot on the fly so to speak.

Both bags have back opening and have "cubes" for the camera kit and a separate compartment for extra clothes etc plus on the outside have pockets for water/flasks and a waterproof pocket to stow waterproofs which if wet can't leech into the main bag.

Spoiler alert neither system is cheap, the LowePro comes as acomplete package no extra for cubes etc but can't handle the MF kit although I can fit it all in at a push but it is too heavy for the construction of the bag.

The F-Stop has more padding and is more comfortable with the extra weight but inserts and rain cover are extra.

I would echo what others have said though backpacks are very personal particularly if you are carrying weight over distance so if possible try before you buy.

Good luck.

That looks really interesting my only issue is the lack of side access, I’m not a great fan of having to open the whole of the pack to grab the camera if an opportunity arrises while I’m travelling from home to accommodation etc with clothes etc in the top half.
It certainly looks like an excellent pack though and very well constructed.
Thanks for the info and the attached review.
Tenba do a backpack insert that is top accessible and it’s only £42

I use a Lowe Pro Powder BP 500 for my smaller kit with a tripod on the side (it has a fold out holder) It carries 2 X-T2 bodies one with 10-24 the other gripped with 50-140 plus converter, filters etc..

View attachment 405080

For my bigger kit and tripod (Medium Format film or digital) I use an F-Stop Tilopa, that carries;

Digital: 2 x Fuji GFX 50S bodies one with 20-35 the other with 32-64 plus the 100-200.

Film: 2 x Bronica SQ-Ai bodies, 40mm, 50mm, 65mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm lenses plus filters light meter spare back and film etc.

View attachment 405081

Whichever I am out with I always have an X-T2 with 16-55 in a Lowe Pro camera pouch so I can shoot on the fly so to speak.

Both bags have back opening and have "cubes" for the camera kit and a separate compartment for extra clothes etc plus on the outside have pockets for water/flasks and a waterproof pocket to stow waterproofs which if wet can't leech into the main bag.

Spoiler alert neither system is cheap, the LowePro comes as acomplete package no extra for cubes etc but can't handle the MF kit although I can fit it all in at a push but it is too heavy for the construction of the bag.

The F-Stop has more padding and is more comfortable with the extra weight but inserts and rain cover are extra.

I would echo what others have said though backpacks are very personal particularly if you are carrying weight over distance so if possible try before you buy.

Good luck.
Many thanks, both of those look really interesting.
I was looking at the f stop tilopa after being mentioned in an earlier post. Seeing it in use in your photos I’m really impressed with the extra pocket for the tripod at the side. They both look to hold the tripod really securely.
Do you know if the hip belt is removable on either of these? It’s just I’ve never been a fan myself and on my cullman it seems to get in the way for me personally.

Many thanks, both of those look really interesting.
I was looking at the f stop tilopa after being mentioned in an earlier post. Seeing it in use in your photos I’m really impressed with the extra pocket for the tripod at the side. They both look to hold the tripod really securely.
Do you know if the hip belt is removable on either of these? It’s just I’ve never been a fan myself and on my cullman it seems to get in the way for me personally.
Hi James, neither of the hip belts are removable but TBH I wouldn't want to carry those kind of weights without a hip belt they make a massive difference to the load carrying comfort.
BTW there is only an extra tripod pocket on the LowePro, what you see on the tripod on the Tilopa is the RRS Ballhead Cover that protects the head it is attached to the bag by purpose fitted straps I just don't like to leace the head exposed as I am often putting the bag down on rocky surfaces.

TBH James the Tilopa might be a bit big if you are using M43 kit, here are a couple of shots of the bags with contents in them.

The LowePro with Fuji X-T2 kit.

L1000915.JPG

The Tilopa (I also have the green one) with Fuji GFX Kit.

IMG_20230718_200331_588.jpg

The F-Stop Large insert with the Bronica Kit.

IMG_20230718_200218_120.jpg

Last edited:
Hi James, neither of the hip belts are removable but TBH I wouldn't want to carry those kind of weights without a hip belt they make a massive difference to the load carrying comfort.
BTW there is only an extra tripod pocket on the LowePro, what you see on the tripod on the Tilopa is the RRS Ballhead Cover that protects the head it is attached to the bag by purpose fitted straps I just don't like to leace the head exposed as I am often putting the bag down on rocky surfaces.

TBH James the Tilopa might be a bit big if you are using M43 kit, here are a couple of shots of the bags with contents in them.

View attachment 405107

View attachment 405106

View attachment 405105
Thank you. That’s a great help, my main issue isn’t so much having capacity for camera gear it’s my clothes, food etc travelling from home to hotels etc. plus carrying gifts for family etc on the return.
Camera gear wise I tend to take
om5 mk3
100-400 lens
A couple of primes
Filters in a pack
And the tripod

View attachment 405107

View attachment 405106

View attachment 405105
Sorry to be a pain, if I looked at the tilopa with a smaller f stop insert is the top compartment able to expand down into the spare space made by using the smaller insert? I’m hoping that makes sense.

Sorry to be a pain, if I looked at the tilopa with a smaller f stop insert is the top compartment able to expand down into the spare space made by using the smaller insert? I’m hoping that makes sense.
No worries, in theory yes with a smaller insert you would get better capacity in the top part but there is no separation so anything you have in the top would be visible when you open the flap on the back. The LowePro has a better set up for that kind of thing and has a drawcorded bag in the top for your clothes etc. The top flap is also expandable so the top part can take way more kit but still be self contained plus not compromising the usability of the camera compartment. Check out this link, https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/powder-backpack-500-aw-grey-orange-lp37230-pww/

Last edited:
No worries, in theory yes with a smaller insert you would get better capacity in the top part but there is no separation so anything you have in the top would be visible when you open the flap on the back. The LowePro has a better set up for that kind of thing and has a drawcorded bag in the top for your clothes etc. The top flap is also expandable so the top part can take way more kit but still be self contained plus not compromising the usability of the camera compartment. Check out this link, https://www.lowepro.com/uk-en/powder-backpack-500-aw-grey-orange-lp37230-pww/
Excellent, yep I think you could be right. I guess it was just me being a cheapskate northerner haha and trying to save money. I found a great offer on the tilopa from photo specialist but out of the two the Lowe pro does look better suited to my needs.

Excellent, yep I think you could be right. I guess it was just me being a cheapskate northerner haha and trying to save money. I found a great offer on the tilopa from photo specialist but out of the two the Lowe pro does look better suited to my needs.
Hope it works out for you.

Yes - I used to have an F-Stop Satori EXP, which at the time was their biggest bag, when went travelling I used the small ICU with all my clothes on the top.

As mentioned above, I find that my Fuji kit rattles around in my small ICU (which I believe is now known as the "Small Pro".

Yes - I used to have an F-Stop Satori EXP, which at the time was their biggest bag, when went travelling I used the small ICU with all my clothes on the top.

As mentioned above, I find that my Fuji kit rattles around in my small ICU (which I believe is now known as the "Small Pro".
That’s definitely something to bear in mind. Many thanks.

Back