Camera bag accident

If it's just smell the bag is contaminated with, expose to bright sun, the UV destroys the smelly chemicals. If there's actual salmon fat.juice deposits some cleaning required.

If it's just smell the bag is contaminated with, expose to bright sun, the UV destroys the smelly chemicals. If there's actual salmon fat.juice deposits some cleaning required.

Realistically it'll need a clean, a proper scrub. I've found those vanish foaming carpet cleaners work quite well at removing stains and smells (spilt milk on the outside of mine) then leaving outdoors to air, especially in this warm weather we're having. Get a toothbrush and nail brush and use to scrub well.

Give it a good scrub then fill it with cat litter for a few days

What type of material is it? Have a look at manufactures web site and see if there are any care instructions there. Send them a mail even...

I have in the past put a rucksack style camera bag in the washing machine (synthetic material, no leather) first having removed anything removable and also having secured all straps etc. Do it on a gentle cycle at 40. I was prepared to scrap the bag but was surprised to find it came out looking like I had just bought it. Over the last 4 years its been through the machine about 3 times now and always looks like new after. Sad to see Kata bags are no more as its a great bag.

I have in the past put a rucksack style camera bag in the washing machine (synthetic material, no leather) first having removed anything removable and also having secured all straps etc. Do it on a gentle cycle at 40. I was prepared to scrap the bag but was surprised to find it came out looking like I had just bought it. Over the last 4 years its been through the machine about 3 times now and always looks like new after. Sad to see Kata bags are no more as its a great bag.

It's a Think Tank bag. I am not sure if it has any cardboard material to rigidify some edges; if it did it would not end well after washing. I'll happily stick the two velcro inserts in the wash but not convinced about the rest.

I have incidentally just ordered a new Kata bag (half price at WEX right now) as a future replacement / duplicate. However I don't really intend to scrap this current one just yet.

P.S. All neighbourhood cats now follow me from my car :)

It's a Think Tank bag. I am not sure if it has any cardboard material to rigidify some edges; if it did it would not end well after washing. I'll happily stick the two velcro inserts in the wash but not convinced about the rest.

I have incidentally just ordered a new Kata bag (half price at WEX right now) as a future replacement / duplicate. However I don't really intend to scrap this current one just yet.

P.S. All neighbourhood cats now follow me from my car :)

I doubt that there's any cardboard in your bag. Man up and put it in the washing machine :). You've so little to lose given that you seem to have already bought its replacement. ThinkTank bags are well made. If they can't stand a few minutes in a washing machine, what hope do they have in the real world?

You'd be surprised as to how resilient modern fabrics are. We've grown accustomed to strictly adhering to washing instructions. Truth is, in most instances, a gentle hand wash, followed by a slow, controlled, air dry will do the trick nicely.

Leather's quite resilient too. Provided that you dress it correctly before it drys out completely.

There's no replacement for soap/detergent and water. Especially on synthetic fibres. Avoid excessive heat throughout the process and you'll be fine.

[Edit: Added a smiley face. Just in case you thought I was being a bit harsh.]

Last edited:
Contact Think Tank and ask for their advice?

Let us know what works best for cleaning the bag as its an interesting issue.

What about asking a dry cleaners to see what they say ? .....

Bicarbonate of soda, gets rid of all odours. Good trick to use for damp smells too.

I had a misfortune some years ago at Staithes Nr. Whitby, when a saegull (s***e hawk) decided I and my open camera bag would make a good bombing target :( the smell was very similar:eek:.. I gave it a good scrub internally, washing was out of the question it being a leather box type, then left it with carpet fresh (nutrogena) inside it for a few days, and I'm pleased to report that was a success and that the box is still in use for film camera storage...Good Luck.

If its a modern synthetic like Cordura, stick it in the washing machine on gentle 30 degrees etc and you will wonder why you hadn't done it sooner.

Just check there are no card stiffeners and you will be fine.

Remove any padding that can be washed separately.

If it is possible to turn it inside out, so much the better.

Last edited:
Back