Camera Bag for Nikon 200-500 + others

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

I received my Nikon 200-500 at the weekend and discovered how it just isn't going to fit my current Lowepro 150 whatsoever...

150283020_10158294455832203_3211219202523360643_o.jpg

So I'm going to need to get another bag, I had a quick search but most were people looking for bags to hold a 200mm tops.

It's not essential to fit the lens in the bag whilst attached to the body, I just want to be able to carry my 50mm, 24-120mm and 200-500mm and body with me wherever I go.

Cheers,
Lew

My flipside 400 AW takes my Sigma 150-600 with body attached and room to spare (Hood Reversed) even room for two more lenses plus bits and pieces, love the ability to carry a substantial tripod.
Also has room for my flask and snacks in outside mesh pockets.

Thanks all for the recommendations, the Flipside option is looking good!

My flipside 400 AW takes my Sigma 150-600 with body attached and room to spare (Hood Reversed) even room for two more lenses plus bits and pieces, love the ability to carry a substantial tripod.
Also has room for my flask and snacks in outside mesh pockets.

Is it still practical enough to take places as well though, ie. not OTT?

I have a bulky tripod to lug around as well sometimes and I disliked carrying that in my hands last time, so the idea of bolting it onto the bag is a winner. Seems to be sensibly priced too.

I’ve had the flip side 200, 400 and 500. Go 500 if you can If you choose one.
However I got rid of that and Bought a gitzo adventury 45l, which will hold that lens and a lot more, as well as room for clothes/ lunch a huge tripod and more.
The flipsides are good for camera gear but leave little room for anything else. Yes the side mesh pockets can take a flask, but there is no room for extra clothing or a lunch box. The gitzo has a roll top section which can roll down tiny or be full of clothes. It also has 4 options for carrying a tripod, either on the sides, back or bottom.

They are quite pricey new, but second hand they are usually pretty affordable.

I’ve had the flip side 200, 400 and 500. Go 500 if you can If you choose one.
However I got rid of that and Bought a gitzo adventury 45l, which will hold that lens and a lot more, as well as room for clothes/ lunch a huge tripod and more.
The flipsides are good for camera gear but leave little room for anything else. Yes the side mesh pockets can take a flask, but there is no room for extra clothing or a lunch box. The gitzo has a roll top section which can roll down tiny or be full of clothes. It also has 4 options for carrying a tripod, either on the sides, back or bottom.

They are quite pricey new, but second hand they are usually pretty affordable.

That's some useful feedback, thanks. I was originally wanting a bag small enough to fit in the plane when I go flying somewhere, hence my Lowepro 150. But then the more I think about it, I also need to take clothes and stuff if I stay somewhere so your point becomes very valid and rather than taking 2 or even 3 separate bags for camera gear, flight equipment and clothing it would be ideal to fit all that in one larger bag.

I had my 500 mk 2 in a Think Tank Limo. Now that I have downsized to the 400DOii, I can have it on camera with the hood on. Great bag. Might be worth a look checking out the thinktank range. Snapperstuff are the distributors in the UK and I do not work for them!

Thanks all for the recommendations, the Flipside option is looking good!

Is it still practical enough to take places as well though, ie. not OTT?

I have a bulky tripod to lug around as well sometimes and I disliked carrying that in my hands last time, so the idea of bolting it onto the bag is a winner. Seems to be sensibly priced too.
Yes, a little heavy when fully loaded, but good shoulder and waist straps. I often have to hike several miles to get to my favorite spots am I am not particularly young or fit !

what about a Think tank holster 50v2.... with body attached....

Attachments

• 20210215_120319[1].jpg
    20210215_120319[1].jpg
    188 KB · Views: 5
That's some useful feedback, thanks. I was originally wanting a bag small enough to fit in the plane when I go flying somewhere, hence my Lowepro 150. But then the more I think about it, I also need to take clothes and stuff if I stay somewhere so your point becomes very valid and rather than taking 2 or even 3 separate bags for camera gear, flight equipment and clothing it would be ideal to fit all that in one larger bag.
Although this is showing the Sony 200-600mm it may still be useful to gauge sizes etc....

Although this is showing the Sony 200-600mm it may still be useful to gauge sizes etc....

That's a great resource thanks. Well a lot of options have come out of this thread so thanks all. I will report back with whatever I go for.

-Lew

Back