Camera bag for NYC trip

Name
Charles
Edit My Images
Yes
Lucky us - we're shortly going on a family trip to Manhattan. Obviously lots of photo opportunities whilst doing all the touristy bits. I want to take my E-M1 Mkii with 12-40 lens and my e-M10 Mkiii for the Panasonic 20mm and Laowa 10mm. I've got a big enough camera bag for all of this in the Vanguard VEO Select 45 which will also serve as my carry-on to take a Kindle, headphones etc. but I don't want to carry this around the city once there. So. I'm asking form advice on getting a comfortable shoulder bag that would accommodate one body at a time and two of the lenses. Although changing lenses in a busy city won't be ideal carrying round both bodies and the three lenses might prove a bit shoulder-waring, as light as the Olympus gear is, my ageing frame could groan after a while. Anyway, advice much appreciated.

I like Billingham bags. I like that they have no zips or Velcro (other than Velcro on the inserts) and can be opened and closed pretty much silently.

I just bought the billingham Hadley digital and it fits my xt3 16,23and 50mn f2 primes perfectly. Couldn't be a better fit although not sure how the size compares to your kit

I can get my Sony A7 with a compact prime and my Panasonic GX80 with 45-150mm in my Hadley Pro Small.

I use this Swiss Gear messenger style bag, fits my Panasonic G5 and three various mirrorless lens in the main compartment. In the zip section I have filters, timer unit and random other items. In the end pockets I have spare batteries and extension tubes. I did use it on an earlier NYC trip.

Another Billingham vote here. Had my pro for a few years now and like how it doesn't shout out that's it's a camera bag. Fully waterproof with no need for a cover and as has been mentioned no Velcro. Yes they are expensive but they last for years. I quite often take the insert out and use it as a messenger bag.

Last edited:
Do the 10 and 20mm primes do anything that much better than the 12-40? I know that those 2mm make a difference but is it enough to be worth doubling up the kit?

Do the 10 and 20mm primes do anything that much better than the 12-40? I know that those 2mm make a difference but is it enough to be worth doubling up the kit?

I'd imagine that the 20mm f1.7 is much more compact than the 12-40mm and has a wider aperture for low light or DoF use.

I take a lowepro passport when travelling, packs flat into the hold luggage, holds enough kit for day trips out.

Buy a padded insert and take an old messenger bag. I've got Billingham bags aplenty but they scream 'expensive camera' and can sometimes attract attention.

Buy a padded insert and take an old messenger bag. I've got Billingham bags aplenty but they scream 'expensive camera' and can sometimes attract attention.

I've honestly never had any fear or suspicion that anyone has taken any interest in my Billingham bags, ever. I suppose that maybe because many people don't really get the concept of "a camera" these days :D let alone an expensive one and maybe pulling sandwiches and drinks from one can help too.

I find the opposite when carrying my billingham overr my back pack. Maybe it's because I've got the red version and just looks like a normal bag, red goes nice with my converse.

I have a black Billingham. Certainly doesn’t cry “camera bag”.

The OP did say that he's only looking for something to carry one body and two lenses. He's taking another bag for carry-on and wants to travel around Manhattan light. You don't need a Billingham bag to carry so little gear. I'd go as far as to suggest some DOMKE neoprene wraps and an old messenger bag. That'd leave plenty of extra room for anything else.

The OP did say that he's only looking for something to carry one body and two lenses. He's taking another bag for carry-on and wants to travel around Manhattan light. You don't need a Billingham bag to carry so little gear. I'd go as far as to suggest some DOMKE neoprene wraps and an old messenger bag. That'd leave plenty of extra room for anything else.

How big do you think Billingham bags are? You have some so I assume you know there's a range of sizes available.

I have two, a Hadley Pro Small and a Digital. The HPS will take a camera and a couple of lenses and perhaps if the kit is compact leave room for something else inside but not a lot whilst the digital will possibly only hold the camera and lenses because of the size and shape.

I'm not saying a Billingham bag is the answer and they are relatively expensive but these bags aren't overkill size wise for a camera and two lenses, even MFT. They're relatively small bags.

I have the Hadley Pro and think it's a great size for mirrorless. I carried a a6000,16mm and 30mm with enough room for a drink in mine without it being to big. Another bag to consider are the think tank retrospective range as these also don't scream camera bag and are a bit cheaper.

How big do you think Billingham bags are? You have some so I assume you know there's a range of sizes available.

I have two, a Hadley Pro Small and a Digital.

The smallest I have is the (normal) Hadley Pro - I can pack my entire m4/3 kit inside and more. Even the Hadley Small Pro looks too big for the OP's specific use. I must admit I'd dismissed the Hadley Digital purely based on it looking a little bit too much like a handbag. sorry.

The smallest I have is the (normal) Hadley Pro - I can pack my entire m4/3 kit inside and more. Even the Hadley Small Pro looks too big for the OP's specific use. I must admit I'd dismissed the Hadley Digital purely based on it looking a little bit too much like a handbag. sorry.

I have a Sony A7 and a couple of RF style MFT cameras which are maybe a little smaller than the mini SLR style MFT cameras.

The HPS has those pockets on the front outside of the main compartment but I never put lenses in those, I always put them inside the main section of the bag. I don't know the 12-40mm but I do have a 12-35mm f2.8 and it's possibly about the same size and if it is a HPS will take a camera and that lens and (I assume as I don't know the 10mm) the other two comfortably but there probably wont be room for anything else like a water bottle or food inside the bag so in that sense it wouldn't be overkill.

The digital isn't my favourite bag and I didn't buy it, actually it's the second I've had and I didn't buy either but it is a decent bag and I am adult enough and secure enough in myself not to worry about it looking like a handbag to some. Sorry but I think that's a bit silly :D I have another older bag in the same lens down style which I haven't used since my Nikon SLR and then Canon DSLR days which also doesn't look like a handbag to me.

As above a Billingham may not be the answer to the op or anyone reading this but I just thought it wise to correct the IMO incorrect assertion that Billingham bags are overkill for a MFT SLR style camera and three lenses just in case anyone is interested. They do a range of bags and although some of them clearly are overkill some clearly are not :D

Last edited:
I'd imagine that the 20mm f1.7 is much more compact than the 12-40mm and has a wider aperture for low light or DoF use.

As would I but the OP has said he's taking all 3 lenses. UWAs have very deep DoF even wide open so I doubt that would be a reason (but it could be). I think the 12-40 is f/2.8 so should be fast enough for most low light, especially at the shorter end.

As would I but the OP has said he's taking all 3 lenses. UWAs have very deep DoF even wide open so I doubt that would be a reason (but it could be). I think the 12-40 is f/2.8 so should be fast enough for most low light, especially at the shorter end.

Well, yes, but... as this is MFT the 20mm f1.7 isn't an ultra wide, it's a 40mm with f1.7 available for low light and with f3.4 equivalent DoF which is enough to start to get DoF effects and in both cases, low light and DoF, could give more options than f2.8.

Reactions: Nod
True.

Nod, I feel like I'm lecturing people in this thread but please don't think I am. It's just my OCD. :D

I'm sorry if I've come across as annoying.

I have quite a few Billingham bags but have switched to ThinkTank Retrospectives now.

They are like a tardis in terms of space and don’t look like a typical camera bag.

There is a big range of different sizes so am sure there would be on that would fit the o.p’s needs.

Nod, I feel like I'm lecturing people in this thread but please don't think I am. It's just my OCD. :D

I'm sorry if I've come across as annoying.

I was in a hurry earlier so typed the quickest agreement word!

I try to avoid too much overlap/duplication in my kit, especially when travelling, hence my suggestion that a single body and lens might be an option. I also try to avoid lens changes so have ended up with a 3 body, 3 zoom kit, covering from 10-400mm, with the option of a 1.4x telecon behind the 100-400. I have a few primes in the system too but they only come out to play for specific jobs.

Everyone's mileage varies, I use my m4/3 with neoprene wraps, in a normal rucksack if I want multiple bits with me. Most times when I'm travelling I chose a camera and lens before I go out (very often an EPL8 with a 17mm lens, but that's another story) and hang it around my wrist with a paracord strap from this guy. It's secure, always to hand, I hate having to scrabble for a camera in a bag.

Oh, and just FTR, years ago (2008? pre m4/3 anyhow) I was in Xian, China, I had a 4/3 E-something-or-the-other with that fantastic 12-60 lens. I had a belt mounted toploader bag. Zipped up, on my belt, I thought it was secure. Some thieving scrote (ok, talented thieving scrote) got it out without me noticing within 100m of my (non-western touristy) hotel. Thankfully, I was changing cards every day. Less thankfully, I had left it an extra day this time, but two days could have been A LOT worse (the cards were 4Gb).

The digital isn't my favourite bag and ... I am adult enough and secure enough in myself not to worry about it looking like a handbag to some. Sorry but I think that's a bit silly :D I have another older bag in the same lens down style which I haven't used since my Nikon SLR and then Canon DSLR days which also doesn't look like a handbag to me.

Probably worth putting my 'handbag' comment in perspective. I was a great proponent of small, 'man-bag' sized bags some years ago. Then old age caught up with me and I realised it would be useful to have somewhere to put my reading glasses, my sunglasses, a bottle of water, some wipes and all the other 'stuff' that people of a certain age require to make life easier. That and the fact my wife began to complain about the amount of stuff I was asking to cram into her TARDIS.

As above a Billingham may not be the answer to the op or anyone reading this but I just thought it wise to correct the IMO incorrect assertion that Billingham bags are overkill for a MFT SLR style camera and three lenses just in case anyone is interested. They do a range of bags and although some of them clearly are overkill some clearly are not :D

I wasn't suggesting that Billingham bags were overkill, just that there are other options. Please accept my sincere apologies if I didn't phrase my response appropriately.

The advatage of a large bag is that you can get so much kit in it.

The disadvantage of a large bag is that you can get too much kit in it.

The advantage of a small bag is that it forces you to choose what you carry before you set out.

The disadvantage of a small bag is that you get to your destination and wish you had brought something else.

I have the tenba messenger 13 bag and really like it. Wasn't overly happy with the shoulder pad so on the recommendation of someone on here I bought a billingham shoulder pad which has helped. I think my issue though is just general weight, up until recently I have been typically carrying a nikon d750, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and a tamron 17-35, which I think is really too much weight to carry on one shoulder tbh. Since reducing my walkabout kit to the wide angle and the MUCH lighter nikon 24-200 and Z6ii it is a much nicer weight to carry and I may even put the original pad back on since it matches the bag properly (I know, tart...)

If its just for one body with lens on + one other lens then I'd look at the Ona Bowery in canvas

Thank you for all of the replies. After much , now informed, deliberation went for the Hdley Small Pro in Navy and Chocolate. Very nice and the E-M1ii and E-M10 iii and a couple of lenses fill it nicely. Good compact size for carrying around and therefore not likely to swing into and destroy priceless items whilst in museums and shops. Thanks again.

I wasn't suggesting that Billingham bags were overkill, just that there are other options. Please accept my sincere apologies if I didn't phrase my response appropriately.

No need to apologies to me Adrian as there's no offense or upset here, just friendly chat which I suppose doesn't always come across as such in posts and hope you see my posts in the same way.

Thank you for all of the replies. After much , now informed, deliberation went for the Hdley Small Pro in Navy and Chocolate. Very nice and the E-M1ii and E-M10 iii and a couple of lenses fill it nicely. Good compact size for carrying around and therefore not likely to swing into and destroy priceless items whilst in museums and shops. Thanks again.

That sounds very nice. I hope it serves you well.

Back