Camera bag/rucksack for TLR

Edit My Images
No
This is posted specifically in F&C rather than just Equipment because most conventional camera bags are shaped for DSLRs. After lugging about my DSLR and TLR together in a rucksack designed for a laptop, I'm looking for a more comfortable bag to carry them both, specifically designed for cameras. It's the TLR that is the problem really... will it maybe fit in one of the pockets designed for a spare largeish lens that most bags have?

What bags are you using?

I also dislike how most bags seem to believe that you don't need any food or space for water, as if all you need is space for storing a couple of marbles and that's enough "personal possessions" space :wacky:

I use a lowepro Mini Trekker AW - there's room in there for the EOS-3/24-105L and the 7D/17-40L, plus the Sigma 10-20,Canon EF50 f1.4, a bunch of cased filters, and all the rest of the impedimenta I drag up and down hills. The 70-200F4L attaches to the side in a external pocket, a similar one (from Lowe Alpine - the climbing rucsack arm of the same co. I think) on the other side gets a water bottle and some food - I don't like the idea of mixing electronics and a big bottle of water :eek:. Tripod on the back, and light waterproof/gps/maps etc. in the outside lid pocket. Not enough room for proper walking kit though - this is really for a "Walk to the site of taking the photo and sit there until the weather/light is right" kind of deal.

If I take the Bronica out instead of one of the SLR's it's a simple enough job to re-jig the velcro-in dividers to allow the camera and 75mm lens, plus a spare back and the 40mm to replace some of the 35mm kit.

This was what it looked like a while ago - before the 7D and all the L glass arrived...

Film or Digital by The Big Yin, on Flickr

This is posted specifically in F&C rather than just Equipment because most conventional camera bags are shaped for DSLRs. After lugging about my DSLR and TLR together in a rucksack designed for a laptop, I'm looking for a more comfortable bag to carry them both, specifically designed for cameras. It's the TLR that is the problem really... will it maybe fit in one of the pockets designed for a spare largeish lens that most bags have?

What bags are you using?

I also dislike how most bags seem to believe that you don't need any food or space for water, as if all you need is space for storing a couple of marbles and that's enough "personal possessions" space :wacky:

HuH never store food with lenses, fungus love the conditions.....for me, if I'm not going out dressed up I use a backpack, the picture is my old one and I have a larger one now. Just separate the gear in different pockets also pack some handy carrier bags and bubble foam to separate camera gear (if needed)....prices about £2 to £5 but more for good ally framed hiking ones, from the bootie if you have one nearby.

Meyer50mm800px.jpg

The one I'm using now (Quadra) bought as new from bootie £5 is not meant for photography gear and a bit inconvenient but it is an example of using something at a cheap price, and I stuff a lot of gear in other than two cameras and lenses....inc bicycle pump, book map, 2litres of milk on outside pocket, two glasses in cases, compass, toilet roll, flannel.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/QUADRA-PRO-OU...0637522786&po=&ps=63&clkid=938104447611649195

Last edited:
What a great question, it can be difficult at times. What I decided on was a messenger type bag picked one up padded with lots of pockets for the bits and pieces we carry for under a fiver. The main compartment is huge and I use these to wrap and protect.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Neoprene-Came..._Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item53db51f548.
The reason being is that with a collection you do not know what you may be taking out and this solution appears to give good protection and the maximum of flexibility.

PS, And it does not look like something that is worth nicking.

Last edited:
I think it also depends on your definition of out and about - on the MTB I use one of those Lowepro Toploader type things, fastened to the Camelback straps by a couple of snaplock caribiners so it hangs in front of my chest. Theres room for anything up to the Bronny in there, though usually with a single lens. For a photo-walk (i.e. walk to somewhere to take photo's) then it's the Mini Trekker, where for a Hill walk, where I may take photo's then it's most likely a couple of those neoprene camera wraps and a waterproof fold-top bag for protecting the camera if I need to put it in the normal walking sack due to inclement weather. I can see the appeal of a messenger type bag for more urban pursuits, but I shoot so little of that, I wouldn't consider myself qualified to comment.

When I referred to food and possessions, I meant in a separate compartment - like the Lowepro Fastpack for instance. Richard - messenger bags are out of the question, ergonomically they just aren't quite up there with rucksacks. However, I do use a Eastpack conventional messenger bag for short things, so I guess I already beat you to it :)

Most of my shooting is urban pursuits, all of it in fact, but that doesn't mean I don't need an extra comfy bag. I think I'll just have to experiment and have a look at bags with adjustable velcro I guess. It's usually DSLR + midrange zoom lens attached + spare prime, and TLR - or film SLR and prime attached. So it's not really that much kit, and finding bags for that sort of kit is no problem, it's finding a bag that also is designed for people who need to drink more than 50mL of water...! I too don't like mixing electronics with liquids, I take precautions with my current bag. Just for the sake of trying to spec a bag, the last time I carried around my cameras extensively I had a 1.5L bottle of water on me!

Same bag as I have. I've had my Mamiya 645J with an 80mm f/2.8 and the 5D in there before, along with a 17-40 and 70-200 f/2.8.

I don't think the Yashica 124G has been in there with the other stuff, though. It usually lives in a vintage 70s shoulder bag that came with it.

I find a Lowepro Photo Runner type thing (http://www.lowepro.com/photorunner) about right for carrying a TLR plus other things. The bag has exactly the right width for a typical TLR (not counting a Mamiya C2/3 type) and the remaining space is just right for sandwiches/an SLR.

Back