Camera bits and bobs advice

Koolpc

Suspended / Banned
Name
Fickle
Edit My Images
No
As i have just bought my first DSLR (Canon 1000D) and i need some good memory card/s for it. I was give a class 4 8gig but want another one.

What should i get as i haven't a clue.

I also bought a camera fitting bag. Only the camera fits in it. Is that good enough? If not, any pointers as to what to buy? I only have one lens at the mo.

Also, what about lens cloths? Bought one from the camera shop but it still left bits on the lens?

Also bought a £12 UV filter. That good enough (Hoya)

Promise not to let this drag on for thousands of pages!! lol :D

Sandisk extremes are fairly popular. Make sure you get them online (for decent price) and from a reputable source as there are loads of carp fakes about.

Bag - check out lowpro slingshot AW - excellent for everyday use and awesome for quick access to your gear. Get a medium/large (200/300) for it to be big enough for more lenses/kit. Backpack that slides round your body rather than take off for access. Weather cover comes out of bag to make rainproof if needed (this will be a useful feature compared to your present bag IMO)

Lens cloth - micro fibre one from jessops or amazon.

Hoya uv- not a bad filter - will protect your kit lens from scratches nicely.

/ Job DONE :p

Thanks guys. Great advice. Cheers

4 posts and i am happy!! Yikes.

What about a screen protector for the LCD? Easy to buy? Would a generic one from Tesco do?

How many shots could i expect on a 4gig one, with a 10mp, set to fine Jpeg?

That is the 100 slingshot which really is quite small. This CAN be a good thing because it limits the junk (and therefore weight) you may be tempted to carry around, but if it means you cannot take things you want you will end up buying a bigger bag in the end anyway.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Sli...4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279925400&sr=1-4 is the larger one, and their is a 300 larger still. I am not clear on the difference between 200 and 202...

I would go for a couple of the 4gigs ones - they will hold 850 ish pics (rough guestimate). I always like to go for a few mid sized cards rather than one large one - incase it gets corrupted, you only stand to loose what is on that one card rather that the whole lot :)

Plus it is cheaper to replace when the dog eats one!

I would go for a couple of the 4gigs ones - they will hold 850 ish pics (rough guestimate). I always like to go for a few mid sized cards rather than one large one - incase it gets corrupted, you only stand to loose what is on that one card rather that the whole lot :)

Plus it is cheaper to replace when the dog eats one!

Great advice. I will do that. So, the card i linked to above is the one to go for but in a 4gig size?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ext...1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1279926410&sr=1-3-fkmr0 Or:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANDISK-Ext...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279926468&sr=1-13

Also, is it a good idea for me to get a lens hood? I have a UV filter on the lens but would a lens hood be a good buy?

If it were me I would go for the first one because it is sold by indigo starfish (amazon jersey) and therefore guaranteed genuine. Second still has same read time (20mbps).

Lens hoods protect against flair across the lens. Good idea for lots of landscapes/outdoor togging. Also helps protect lens from dings etc. Kit lenses are fairly cheap so I would just get a cheap lens hood on eBay as genuine ones are fairly wallet stinging.

So, the first card, just because it says HD Video on it doesn't make any difference. It is still ok to use with camera to store pics? (Shows how green i am!)

Hi Tony,
If the card is the correct physical profile and fit then it will be formatted by the camera before use if not in correct format.
All this will be in the manual (but as a PC builder you probably will only read this if you must)
LOL.

No, started to read the manual. Lots to take in!!

Anyway, will buy as advised above. Thanks people

Hi Tony.

Yep the card should work fine - marketing that says it is HD Video card not physical difference.

Good luck matey. Now POST SOME SHOTS! (y)

:LOL:

Cheers buddy. Will try and get a pic up later this weekend. Yikes!

Just ordered these £28 total delivered:

Giottos GTAA1900 Rocket Air Blower - Black

SANDISK Extreme III 4 GB SDHC Class 6 (20MB/s) Memory Card

Back