Camera body and lens for general and motorsport use

Edit My Images
No
Getting back into photography after a break. Looking for a DSLR and lens, initially for use at Silverstone next month and thereafter general use. I have a Sony compact camera which is fine for family use so thinking of a body and 70-300 lens. I realize this might be a bit short but don't want to spend more than a few hundred or so at this time. Have been a long time Nikon user but very much open to alternatives, as well as suggestions for equipment. I know that rental could be an option but thinking if the bug bites I'll pass any purchase on to a family member and get something better.

Nikon D3300 and 55-300mm or 70-300mm would one of the cheaper options whilst still giving great IQ.

Nikon 70-300 af-p is a very cheap but sharp lenses

Thanks. For the suggested Nikon lens I presume you mean the Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR? There is a cheaper version at f/4.5-6.3. Anything in particular to watch out for if buying used, or indeed new?

The Nikon D3500 seems to be cheaper as a kit (18-55VR) than the D3300. Would that be a better option (even if I don't use the 18-55)?

I recently had laser surgery, meaning I now need glasses for reading but not distance. I seem to recall finding the viewfinders problematic before due to my glasses for distance. Presumably this would be less of an issue now?

Thanks. For the suggested Nikon lens I presume you mean the Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR? There is a cheaper version at f/4.5-6.3. Anything in particular to watch out for if buying used, or indeed new?

The Nikon D3500 seems to be cheaper as a kit (18-55VR) than the D3300. Would that be a better option (even if I don't use the 18-55)?

I recently had laser surgery, meaning I now need glasses for reading but not distance. I seem to recall finding the viewfinders problematic before due to my glasses for distance. Presumably this would be less of an issue now?
The cheaper f6.3 70-300mm is designed for DX bodies so will be great on the D3300/3500. If the D3500 can be had cheaper then go for that, it’s just a newer model.

I use it with a d500 - you can get it grey for under £120 so its a complete bargain.

I had cataracts in both eyes so my vari focal eyes are now post surgery fixed focus lenses. I can see perfectly for driving and almost any other activity, except for such as close up reading, I have to use reading glasses. Using camera viewfinders is no problem at all, with a normal diopter setting dialled in on the camera. When using a mirrorless camera, I can overlay the EVF image with pretty much any information I might want and see an instant preview of the shot as taken, if I want to. However, I can't read the rear screen of my DSLR or mirrorless cameras clearly, without putting my glasses on first, I end up with a repetitive glasses on, glasses off scenario when shots require constant adjustments or focus checks, if using the rear screen on the DSLR.

I've started to take a lot more motorsport photos lately as a friend races two Manx Nortons. My full frame DSLR with a 70-300mm lens didn't have enough reach at venues. The suggested Nikon and 300mm lens will have an effective maximum length of 450mm after applying the crop factor, that may or may not be enough. For motorsports, I now use mainly a Lumix GH3 body with a Lumix 100-300mm lens, an effective 200-600mm lens after applying the two times crop factor. This certainly gives me enough reach for motorcycles, at a cost of less sure autofocus compared to a modern DSLR. Basically I end up with a smaller keeper rate but don't normally need to crop at all. Most of my action shots seem to be in the 500-600mm equivalent range.

The most common budget lens I see in use on DSLRs at motorsport venues is the Sigma 150-600mm, but even that isn't cheap or particularly bright at the log end.

That is helpful, thanks. Last time I was at Silverstone I had a D700 with a 200mm lens and 2x converter. Depending on where I was standing that was not too bad. Once in position and with my camera set I should not have to use my glasses much. Thinking again the cheapest option might be to get a body with kit lens and then rent a suitable lens.

Any thoughts on the Tamron (70-300) which can also be had for little money?
The VC one is supposed to be pretty good, although not quite as good as the Nikon I believe.

Back