Camera body and lens?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just registered on here so new to the forum and photography in general, so please be gentle!

I'm thinking of getting either the Canon EOS 450d or 40d body - is there much difference between the two.

Will also be hoping to get the 70-300mm IS lens to go with it.

Is there anything I should know, any better options for similar prices etc

Cheers

Rob

Welcome to TP Rob.

The 40D is a more an enthusiast's camera while the 450D was intended as a consumer model. Both will produce excellent results but you will get more out of the 40D which also shoots at a pretty respectable rate of 6.5fps. ISO range for both models won't be up to current levels but still very usable and you have the advantage of a pop-up flash of course. Here's a review

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-40D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx

You can click on the 450D in the table for a review of the model.

A used 40D will cost around £420 or so while a 450D can be had for a shade under £300. Therein lies the distinction between the two bodies. Have a look at www.mpbphotographic.co.uk. Matt is a member here.

Hope this helps

Enjoy your photography

a010.gif

H
a035.gif

The 40D is a nice camera, the build quality and handling seem very good. The 450d feels a little like a toy in comparison. Bear in mind that the 40D is relatively big and heavy though.

My first experience of a 40D Rob was at a branch of Jessops in Richmond. At that juncture I was looking to change to Nikon having spent years using Canon's various P& S models. I found the 40D much more ergonomic, had a brighter viewfinder and was faster than the D80. It also had live view which is a great bonus since I did a lot of macro work. However the 40D was also a little out of my budget. That was until I discovered MPB. So back in July '08 I acquired a 40D for around £540. Nearly two and a half years down the line it hasn't lost much in value which probably says a lot for the camera IMHO.

Unless you come across a second hand dealer who has one, you probably won't find it easy to get hold of an example at a shop to try out since it is out of production. Take it from me though, it's a great introduction to the world of DSLR.

Cheers

a010.gif

H
a035.gif

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll have to work out if I can afford to splash a bit extra on the 40d. I have been offered a 450d for about £275.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll have to work out if I can afford to splash a bit extra on the 40d. I have been offered a 450d for about £275.

Would you consider a 30D?
A bit older but i got one with a cheap lens for less than that

:)

Thanks again all!

czhey: I think I'd prefer to got for either the 450d or 40d at the moment, but I'll let you know if I change my mind.

A couple of options have come up so it just depends which one I can get the best deal on.

Thanks again all!

czhey: I think I'd prefer to got for either the 450d or 40d at the moment, but I'll let you know if I change my mind.

A couple of options have come up so it just depends which one I can get the best deal on.

Sorry wasn't saying i had one for sale! I meant i have just bought one for less than a second hand 450d.... :)

I started with the 400d and if I had to start again i would have gone straight for the 40d as I out grow it very quickly nder 6 months.

Then got a 50d but still have the 400d and my wife uses it. She loves it hence why I have never sold it

So my advice would be spill out the extra and get the 40d.

Back