Camera Centre UK Morgans Arcade Cardiff - The age of walking into a shop isn't dead!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
So we all like to hear about complaints - things going wrong - but sometimes it goes the other way, and something happens better than you expected.

A few weeks ago I was in the market for a Canon 16-35mm 2.8 lens - and after having a look around, and being near Cardiff at the time, called the guys at the Camera Centre in Morgans Arcade. They had a look, and told me they had one, but was the last one in stock. I didn't actually ask them to reserve it - I just said thanks as I was still thinking. The following day I wandered into the shop, and one of the guys remembered I'd called the day before. He apologised as he said the lens that he thought was new, was actually his ex-demo unit, and had been put on the wrong shelf of the warehouse. It was missing the lens hood from the box, but that he'd offer a reasonable price if I was still interested, otherwise offering to get me a new unit within a few days.

I had a look at the lens, and there were a couple of tiny marks, but nothing that said it had been used as such. I did a quick check on the date code, and it was a recent model, so was pretty comfortable that it was as good as a new lens, and they were offering a standard warranty, with a replacement hood coming as soon as they could get it.

I had a 100mm Macro that I was considering P/X'ing - and we set about bartering prices.

We came to an agreement on the 16-35 that I was very happy with - but the P/X price wasn't quite what I was looking for.

We were having a bit of friendly conversation, and the same guy I'd dealt with on the phone popped over and said 'Oh go on then - we'll give you £XXX for your macro' - which made the deal just exactly what I was looking for.

If I'd ordered online from the grey market - I actually would have spent more (Albeit a new unit - not ex-demo) - and I'd still have to shift the macro through a classifieds somewhere.

What impressed me most was the feeling that as a customer - I was valued. Having bought everything online for a couple of years, I didn't really think about it much, but going back into a bricks and mortar shop and experiencing 'Service with a bit of a smile' made me realise that online shopping isn't always the best option.

I got what I wanted - at a price I was happy with - with service that made the experience pleasurable. The hood has arrived over the last day or so, and I'm glad to see it's an original, not a copy. So it's a big thumbs up to the Camera Centre in Cardiff for their great service, and a deal that did me very well.

It's a bit hit and miss in that shop,I used to use them allot before the internet days, but last time i went there,(just before they moved) I walked out of shop because no one could be bothered to see me,
and i was the only one in the shop, I never went back after that, I think its a family run business ,
when i went past there a few month back, there seems like a few new faces, so perhaps it has improved..
they have a good selection of second hand stuff there too.

I thought the service was more important than the prices in this particular thread :) Although to me in the shop - the service was important - but the prices were far more importanter :) (see my great use of English there?)

I think it's a family business as they've got a shop in Newport as well. Being local, I always like to pop in and have a look in my search for a bargain... never found one though :)
They do sell on ebay as well but TBH, their second hand stock in store looks impressive. But the price is higher than you can get from TP IMO.
On the other hand, they always had time to answer my questions in a friendly manner so I appreciate their effort.

Back