Camera Choice??

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone,

I'm new here, having got quite tired of feeling outcasted on my usual forum i thought i'd give a .co.uk a go!

So straight in i dive!

I'm doing a shoot next week and it's got to the point that i'm so confused with which camera to use between my Nikon D3000 and the Mamiya RZ67.

My proposal is a single shot with a cinematic feel (inspired by TV series, Supernatural) and I know that my final shot will need a lot of post work in Photoshop (I'm going for a Dave Hill kind of look) and i don't know whether it's worth shooting on the RZ and scanning the negs (or maybe even prints?) or using the D3000 and being able to process the RAWs and take it from there.

What's going to give me a better quality image?

Thanks for any help!
-emma x

Last edited:
If you're looking mainly for image quality I'd have thought the RZ67 would win hands down over the D3000 (although a pro quality lens would help the latter). On the other hand, the Mamiya could be pretty costly stock-wise and much more of a hassle to tweak in Photoshop.

If you think you can get the shot without having to do much post-processing I'd go with the Mamiya. If you don't I'd go with the Nikon. Or - why not play safe and use both.

As a guy with a big collar might say....

I like the Nikon D3000 but I like the Mamiya RZ67 too. Hmmmm. I wonder which is best. There's only one way to find out....

That's unanimous then :).

Take both cameras (2 rolls of film for the Mamiya). Shoot with the Nikon and adjust settings til you've got it as close as you can. Then shoot with the Mamiya using the info you've gained from the Nikon. That way you've done all you can and you've still got the best of both worlds.

As a guy with a big collar might say....

I like the Nikon D3000 but I like the Mamiya RZ67 too. Hmmmm. I wonder which is best. There's only one way to find out....

...I doubt the OP will get that British humour;)

Texy

Back