Beginner Camera cleaning in Surrey?

Name
Connor
Edit My Images
No
Hi, in march i bought a Canon 77D and already its accumulating dust *I think* its on the Fresnel
focusing element but there's likely some on the sensor as well. I have looked at a few instructionals
to see if it is something i could do myself but it looks like its a job i could easily make things worse
and would rather take it to someone thats more skilled/equipped. It's probably a longshot but i'm
basically looking for any recommendations for a place that will clean it in the woking/guildford area
as i dont really want to send it off somewhere. TIA (y)

Hi, in march i bought a Canon 77D and already its accumulating dust *I think* its on the Fresnel
focusing element but there's likely some on the sensor as well. I have looked at a few instructionals
to see if it is something i could do myself but it looks like its a job i could easily make things worse
and would rather take it to someone thats more skilled/equipped. It's probably a longshot but i'm
basically looking for any recommendations for a place that will clean it in the woking/guildford area

Can you see the dust through the viewfinder or just on images?

I presume you’ve used a rocket blower on it?

I’m not in that part of the country but can honestly say that if you try it yourself and take your time with the correct equipment, you should be fine. It’s daunting at first but actually, you’ll probably take more care with it than the people you’d pay to do it for you.

I’m not in that part of the country but can honestly say that if you try it yourself and take your time with the correct equipment, you should be fine. It’s daunting at first but actually, you’ll probably take more care with it than the people you’d pay to do it for you.
yeah i had a go with my rocket blower and it didnt shift it, the worst of it is up on the focusing lens that sits above the mirror i think.

:wave::wave::wave: hi from another one in the Guildford/Woking area

:plus1: on this.
Please clarify ~
are there dust bunnies visible when looking through the viewfinder?
are there dust bunnies on the actual images taken?

Knowing these will inform the logical actions!

Suffice to say a Rocket Blower is always the first step :)

Not sure if they do cleaning, but might know someone who does. London Camera Exchange in Guildford.

Good point and in the main they are last of a breed........................but whether they will actually undertake cleaning I have no idea???

yeah i had a go with my rocket blower and it didnt shift it, the worst of it is up on the focusing lens that sits above the mirror i think.

Yes, the Fresnel screen sits above the mirror and is (by all accounts?) a quite soft surfaced plastic material...............not designed for anything other than rocket blowing! AFAIK the 77D has a pentamirror not a pentaprism = more places for potential dust to hide away and not user cleanable and the blast of rocket blower will not reach inside that area :(

Silly question? Have you cleaned the eyepiece??? Dust/muck there can 'look' like it is somewhere else on the lightpath ;)

Also, answer whether you can also see dust on the images themselves???

In passing, Canon repair & service near Guildford

Canon @ Elstree
Fixation @ Kennington, London (this is an authorised service agent)

Here is the page to work off of https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/repair/

Subject to clarifying just where the dust is...............perhaps phone Fixation and ask (a) will they work on the 77D model and (b) estimate of cost?

Tbh your throwing your money away ,watch u.tube vids invest in the right gear and d.i.y .. it’s really easy .

I did both my Sony bodies during a commercial break.

It is SO easy. The hardest part is getting over the fear.

:wave::wave::wave: hi from another one in the Guildford/Woking area

:plus1: on this.
Please clarify ~
are there dust bunnies visible when looking through the viewfinder?
are there dust bunnies on the actual images taken?

Knowing these will inform the logical actions!

Suffice to say a Rocket Blower is always the first step :)

Good point and in the main they are last of a breed........................but whether they will actually undertake cleaning I have no idea???

From what i can tell the dust is not appearing in the images, i took a few shots at white paper in good light and went over the image zoomed in. I have tried cleaning the eyepiece and blowing the underside of the fresnel lens but the dust specs either move very slightly or not at all, i have a feeling that it is on the internal surface of the lens (n)

Tbh your throwing your money away ,watch u.tube vids invest in the right gear and d.i.y .. it’s really easy .

That was my first instinct I usually will try and have a crack at repairing things myself if a good tutorial is available, but i only found a couple of tutorials on youtube and neither were for the model I have and they both started with removing a couple of exposed screws to remove the bracket that holds the Fresnel in, My camera doesnt have that so I would have to randomly start undoing things to see how i get to it lol

From what i can tell the dust is not appearing in the images, i took a few shots at white paper in good light and went over the image zoomed in. I have tried cleaning the eyepiece and blowing the underside of the fresnel lens but the dust specs either move very slightly or not at all, i have a feeling that it is on the internal surface of the lens (n)

You mention that you think the dust is internal to the lens...............you profile says you have more than one lens. Therefore, even if such dust was visible through the VF surely it is not seen in the same places in all the lenses ;)

If not in the images it is AFAIK not dust in the lens and certainly not a dirty sensor!

FWIW I have read of dust being behind the VF 'glass' eyepiece.

Any dust that cannot be blown out or physically aided removal off of the sensor (when present if seen in the images) is somewhere in the lightpath. Undoubtedly many folk will do and have successfully done some level of dismantling to clean the places that 'normal' level cleaning cannot remove.................so a risk vs benefit analysis is down to the individual?

If the dust is demonstrably not showing up in the images then it is of no consequence other than the annoyance factor of always seeing it as you view the scene of what you are photographing so does it really bug you that much and just how much/many spots of dust are you seeing???

You mention that you think the dust is internal to the lens...............you profile says you have more than one lens. Therefore, even if such dust was visible through the VF surely it is not seen in the same places in all the lenses ;)

If not in the images it is AFAIK not dust in the lens and certainly not a dirty sensor!

FWIW I have read of dust being behind the VF 'glass' eyepiece.

Any dust that cannot be blown out or physically aided removal off of the sensor (when present if seen in the images) is somewhere in the lightpath. Undoubtedly many folk will do and have successfully done some level of dismantling to clean the places that 'normal' level cleaning cannot remove.................so a risk vs benefit analysis is down to the individual?

If the dust is demonstrably not showing up in the images then it is of no consequence other than the annoyance factor of always seeing it as you view the scene of what you are photographing so does it really bug you that much and just how much/many spots of dust are you seeing???

Sorry for the mix up, i was referring to the fresnel lens, i think the dust is not on the exposed underside but on the top surface that cant be accessed without removing it. Aside from that i think you're right its really just an annoyance and i think im just going to have to put up with it until it gets too annoying then send it off to canon once every so often to get it cleaned up. At £40 its not unreasonably expensive.

Last edited:
Yes, the Fresnel screen sits above the mirror and is (by all accounts?) a quite soft surfaced plastic material...............not designed for anything other than rocket blowing! AFAIK the 77D has a pentamirror not a pentaprism = more places for potential dust to hide away and not user cleanable and the blast of rocket blower will not reach inside that area :(

Silly question? Have you cleaned the eyepiece??? Dust/muck there can 'look' like it is somewhere else on the lightpath ;)

Also, answer whether you can also see dust on the images themselves???

Have you tried using an artic butterfly?? this is mine

click on heading in video if it doesn't start

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHn-LZwhZc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHn-LZwhZc

what it does is spin at high speed to create anti static on the brush itself. When stopped gently brush over, not necessarily on, affected area and and light dust/dirt gets attracted to it. So a Rocket blower is NOT the only thing one can use. A blower only stirs up more dust within the camera body

Last edited:
this is all you need to clean out your camera

FQKHNZR.jpg

I paid £115 for a presentation box way back in Feb 2009 at the camera show Focus on Imaging. Ok it is a lot of money but compare that as to how many times since then i would have had to send my cameras away for cleaning and the cost , let alone being without them. If to consider that then that price is a real bargain. Doing it yourself you don't have some "muppet" messing about and still not doing it properly leaving is as bad as when you sent it away

Last edited:
Reading this I get the feeling that Connor the OP is confused , so let’s clarify it please .. Connor are you seeing dust spots on your photos Y/N .. or do you just see dust when looking through the v/ finder ..
If 1 is the answer your sensor (behind the mirror) needs cleaning
If 2 is the answer then a rocket blower or arctic butterfly should with care clear it out

But take this as a warning never change lenses with the camera switched on
When changing lenses avoid dusty areas or beaches etc
Always when changing keep the throat of the camera pointed down and don’t fuss with the one taken off before fitting the new lens
Finally invest in some decent micro fibre cleaning clothes ,optician shops sell good ones

Also if the camera is new under warranty most retailers do a free first clean
If bought used take that as another warning

Last edited:
Reading this I get the feeling that Connor the OP is confused , so let’s clarify it please .. Connor are you seeing dust spots on your photos Y/N .. or do you just see dust when looking through the v/ finder ..
If 1 is the answer your sensor (behind the mirror) needs cleaning
If 2 is the answer then a rocket blower or arctic butterfly should with care clear it out

But take this as a warning never change lenses with the camera switched on
When changing lenses avoid dusty areas or beaches etc
Always when changing keep the throat of the camera pointed down and don’t fuss with the one taken off before fitting the new lens
Finally invest in some decent micro fibre cleaning clothes ,optician shops sell good ones

Also if the camera is new under warranty most retailers do a free first clean
If bought used take that as another warning

I'm not confused at all i couldnt be any more specific than "i was referring to the fresnel lens, i think the dust is not on the exposed underside but on the top surface that cant be accessed without removing it." I will admit that my explanation probably fell short of clear and thorough in the initial post though :LOL:

Most likely then that’s it’s what’s classed as beyond economic repair . Better off e.baying it and buying another

FWIW I did find a video re: changing the screen on a 70D and IMO it is straightforward but YMMV ? NB can only surmise that the 77D and indeed many other Canon models have a similar mirror box construction.

Last edited:
Back