Camera clubs

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
A few questions about camera clubs....

1. Does anyone here belong to one, and is it useful?

2. Why do they only seem to run from September to May/ June and not all year round?

3. If you do belong to a camera club, what is the average age range and male-female ratio?

I've been contemplating joining one of the local camera clubs for some time, but have read quite mixed reports as to the usefulness of going to one. One of the local clubs has a dedicated digital section, so no worries there ;)
One of things that does tend to scare me away though is that the clubs seem to be dominated by older men (not that I have any problems with older men - it would just be nice to see more females and people my age) <digs self out of hole> :D

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated..

Cheryl :)

Oops - teaches me for not doing a search <insert embarrassed icon HERE>
Thanks for that Ven :)

Used to be a member of one, I found it useful on some levels. e.g. we used to get semi-pro models to do shoots and stuff which something I'd never consider doing on my own. It's always good to be able to bounce ideas off other people too, kinda like we do here.

I get the impression that photography is a fairly male-dominated hobbie/profession anyway so that ratio is going to be carried through to clubs as well, probably due to the whole 'boys and their toys' & 'Anything to escape the kids and wife for a bit' things. But I may just be playing to stereotypes there ;)

A lot of clubs use school/college premises for there base so that's probably why they run over the school holidays, also I think attendance would drop a bit over the summer due to family commitments/holidays etc.

I've probably just re-written what was posted in the link ven gave you above, but I couldn't be arsed to read it.

Hope that help chez?

Perhaps you should start you own Mini, local hall or school, biased toward girls with the right pitch etc.

By the sound of things, and remembering Marianne’s comments about photography seeming to be a mans domain, so to speak. A female run club may just be enough to tempt all those women out again who have faced the same problem.

I'd join, if I was closer, obviously....same for most men I think. :D :shrug: ;)

I looked at joining one a couple of years ago, but it all seemed to be a little too 'political'. It had a chairman and various other stooges, and annual meetings and all sorts of cobblers which they seemed hellbent on jabbering on about via their website. I got the impression that it was just a bunch of old farts who'd set it up because they'd been given an ASBO for telling kids what to do... or something.... and still needed a power fix.

I just wanted to talk to people about taking pictures.

If they're all like that, then I don't see the point.

I went to one once and never again, like Gfk says, it was a bunch of old farts the majority of whom did not want to embrace the digital age, they were practically looking down their noses at me.

The final nail in the coffin was when I was speaking to one of the members, a 'gentleman' in his late fifties/early sixties who was telling me about the model they'd had in a few weeks previously who had, and these were his exact words, "nice titties". Exit stage left!

I'm sure they're not all like that and to be honest you'll probably learn more on here, I know I have.

I've never fancied joining a formal club as such for reasons already mentioned by others. (just because I am an old fart doesn't mean I have to mix with them)

I met up with a few guys from POTN last Sunday and that was much more my cup of tea.

A great day out, a good laugh, good conversation and got to play with each others tackle :nuts:.

We are already planning the next trip to Leuchars Air Show near St Andrews and a later landscape trip to Glencoe.
We all came away learning something and did what it is all about...getting out there and shooting.

I really don't fancy sitting in a village hall watching a slideshow and voting for who the next treasurer is going to be.

yep, i am in one mini, not very advantagous though, well mine isn't, lots of really good one's out there though.

I went to my local club a while back to see what it was like. Mostly retired men and I couldn't see it had anything to offer. Most of the evening was spent watching a 1936 film about the "night train" delivering mail from London to Scotland...

:wacky: :shrug:

Back