Camera dead how much to fix.

nilagin

Daniel-san
Suspended / Banned
Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
My camera got wet in the rain at Brands Hatch yesterday.
It's not a DSLR but a Panasonic DMC FZ5 Compact. (DSLR lookalike).
Here's a list of whats wrong.
It switches on and that is about it.
1. Mode selector won't work unless it is used prior to switching camera on, any selections after that it doesn't change.
2. zoom won't work but lens does move on power up.
3. takes one photo if lucky, pre focus doesn't work anymore.
4. none of the other menu buttons etc. work in any mode selection.
It's been a good camera (18 months old) Not a DSLR I know but has some useful features and with a 12x optical zoom, very handy without the need to carry around lots of kit.
Any guesses how much to repair?

Try two days in a warm airing cupboard!..... :thinking:

Take out the batteries - and put it somewhere warm (airing cupboard)

It may just have residual water inside - if this dries out properly it may work fine. If not - well it may not be worth the cost of repair.

{edit} - what chuckles said!!

Agree - put it away to dry out completely before you write it off.

Take out the batteries - and put it somewhere warm (airing cupboard)

It may just have residual water inside - if this dries out properly it may work fine. If not - well it may not be worth the cost of repair.

{edit} - what chuckles said!!

Yeah... but at least you remembered to recommend removing the battery (y)

No airing cupboard as we have a combi boiler, any other suggestions for a warm dry place.

Dunno.... we only come up with the ideas. We can only point you in the right direction! ;)

How about a neighbour? An egg incubator? :shrug:

I'm afraid it sounds expensive, the only thing to do is send it in for a quote, you could try taking the battery out and putting it in an airing cupboard for 48 hours to dry it out, nothing to lose.

wrap camera loosely in a towel, turn one radiator on and place camera on floor near, but not against, the pipe leading to radiator, or an a table infront of the rad, again, not touching it.

as I said in th eother trhead, a thorough drying might just sort it out, you never know your luck.

I would also open as many of the doors as you can like the battery cover, memory card opening and any caps for electrical/cable connections, this will hopefully help any moisture to escape.

Off to camera shop to see how much repair is liable to cost.

Whatever you do, don't try to switch it on until you've dried it out.

...oooops!

Been quoted about £150 if it needs a new CCD. I'll let it dry out a few more days. Bloke tried camera in the shop and continuous burst mode now works whilst before I could only get a single shot. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Are the paint ovens still in plant ?

A day or so at 40 degrees will sort the problem out :)

Are the paint ovens still in plant ?

A day or so at 40 degrees will sort the problem out :)

No paint ovens, not for a few years now. Camera is currently sitting ontop of my router which is giving off a gentle heat.
It's a shame if it won't work, the results I got recently have been better with less to delete, so I must have been doing something right with it for a change.
Just need to keep my fingers crossed that it starts working properly again.

For future reference, if you (anybody) get water inside your camera DO NOT switch it on, remove the batteries immediately! and put it somewhere warm and dry with everything open on it that can be opened to dry it out. Most of the damage is done by the electricity and water interacting (components shorting out and corroding) if you catch it early enough you may be able to avoid permanent damage.

Back