Camera for 8 year old

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
We are after a camera for our 8 year old. Does anyone have any recommendations? She is very artistic person, but we would better to have something that is a little more sturdy.

Looking at the under £100, we have seen some 18MP kiddie kiddie cameras but if there is any decent compacts that people could recommend that would be great.

Not a very good swap!!!

We are after a camera for our 8 year old. Does anyone have any recommendations? She is very artistic person, but we would better to have something that is a little more sturdy.

Looking at the under £100, we have seen some 18MP kiddie kiddie cameras but if there is any decent compacts that people could recommend that would be great.

If you are looking for a sturdy compact something like one of the Panasonic tough series might suit. Would imagine you should be able to pick up a used one of the old versions on eBay, Facebook market place etc. For around your budget.

You could also probably pick them up a used old entry level dslr with a kit lens for around the same price.

My daughters have been using dslrs since they where about 5 although my eldest has a mirrorless system now while my youngest has lost all interest.

Last edited:
Not a very good swap!!!

?????

If you are looking for a sturdy compact something like one of the Panasonic tough series might suit. Would imagine you should be able to pick up a used one of the old versions on eBay, Facebook market place etc. For around your budget.

You could also probably pick them up a used old entry level dslr with a kit lens for around the same price.

My daughters have been using dslrs since they where about 5 although my eldest has a mirrorless system now while my youngest has lost all interest.

Thanks ... thinking something not very heavy for now, if i still had the 500d that would have gone to her. Will check out the tough series really appreciate the advice

Does it have to be digital? What about a pinhole camera? You can get make your own kits for £20

Does it have to be digital? What about a pinhole camera? You can get make your own kits for £20

That would just be a fun project... I will do this but would like a "proper camera" that she can get photos and we do prints for (y)

I gave my 8 year old daughter my old Canon compact. It’s simple to operate and of insufficiently little value that if it breaks / gets lost it doesn’t really matter. At her age, it’s more about having fun with photography.

This is a great idea just want something like that but something a little more sturdy as the canon compact we have is so damn fragile and thats the wifes lol

My son went on a school trip - so we wanted something cheap in case of the worst and we got an old compact, with good light/flash the quality is ok.

Trawl round charity shops and see what you can pick up for peanuts. Unlikely to get anything brilliant but almost certain to get a couple of half decent compacts.

Is it a compact you want for her? I gave my old Nikon d40 plus kit lens to my daughter. They can be picked up easily enough second hand for around your budget? It's tough as old boots and let's her experiment.

My advice would be not too spend money on anything too expensive or too complicated. Kids are fickle and may or may not get interested / stay interested in photography. If yours is anything like mine and her friends, she'll be more interested in making video than photographs! Things like image quality are utterly irrelevant as they will be more interested in what the picture is of, and it probably won't even be in focus anyway.......

Th
My advice would be not too spend money on anything too expensive or too complicated. Kids are fickle and may or may not get interested / stay interested in photography. If yours is anything like mine and her friends, she'll be more interested in making video than photographs! Things like image quality are utterly irrelevant as they will be more interested in what the picture is of, and it probably won't even be in focus anyway.......

Thats a very good point will look into any that have flippy screens as yes she likes to do videos on her tablet.

over the years iv'e bought my young uns various cameras, i now have a cupboard full of different assorted cameras ranging from a fuji bridge which i bought the wife a few years ago and has had about 3 outings a canon 20d bought for one of the daughters now gathering dust along with a 400d and various compacts.

one thing i have learnt over the years is as soon as they get a mobile phone that is the camera they are going to use, it doesn't matter about quality they are not really interested it's the convenience they are more interested in.

if you are going to buy a compact camera i would advise buying one that does not have a protruding lens like the fuji XP series waterproof cameras which will survive a day at the beach for instance, compacts with protruding lenses can get knocked in the hands of young children

if you PM me your address i will send you a Fugi Finepix XP 70 which has been gathering dust in a cupboard for a while.
it's not the latest n greatest but it will serve the purpose and i would rather see it being used than just sat doing nothing

I've had an old Olympus tough waterproof / indestructable compact camera for YEARS - it is obviously not the greatest camera now as about 10 years old but it is certainly indestructible. Great fun to take on holiday in the pool / on the beach / at a theme park etc - so if the small person loses interest it would perhaps still get some use. I'm sure you could get something similar in budget.

over the years iv'e bought my young uns various cameras, i now have a cupboard full of different assorted cameras ranging from a fuji bridge which i bought the wife a few years ago and has had about 3 outings a canon 20d bought for one of the daughters now gathering dust along with a 400d and various compacts.

one thing i have learnt over the years is as soon as they get a mobile phone that is the camera they are going to use, it doesn't matter about quality they are not really interested it's the convenience they are more interested in.

if you are going to buy a compact camera i would advise buying one that does not have a protruding lens like the fuji XP series waterproof cameras which will survive a day at the beach for instance, compacts with protruding lenses can get knocked in the hands of young children

if you PM me your address i will send you a Fugi Finepix XP 70 which has been gathering dust in a cupboard for a while.
it's not the latest n greatest but it will serve the purpose and i would rather see it being used than just sat doing nothing

Wow thanks I shall PM you.

I've had an old Olympus tough waterproof / indestructable compact camera for YEARS - it is obviously not the greatest camera now as about 10 years old but it is certainly indestructible. Great fun to take on holiday in the pool / on the beach / at a theme park etc - so if the small person loses interest it would perhaps still get some use. I'm sure you could get something similar in budget.

Something like that sounds exactly what I'm after.

Back