Camera for a 4 year old child?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, not really sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong section.

My 4yr old son really wants a camera like me and I'd like to make his wish come true at Christmas. I'm just not sure what to get him. I don't want to spend much and I don't want to get a children's play camera. Was thinking of a basic p&s but I know he will say it's not like mine.

Has anyone done similar?

Much appreciated

Mark

Hi, not really sure where to post this so apologies if this is the wrong section.

My 4yr old son really wants a camera like me and I'd like to make his wish come true at Christmas. I'm just not sure what to get him. I don't want to spend much and I don't want to get a children's play camera. Was thinking of a basic p&s but I know he will say it's not like mine.

Has anyone done similar?

Much appreciated

Mark

You could probably pic up a 10/20d for the price of a p&s. might be a bit big and heavy but it will be like daddy's camera :)

Cheers bud.

I know it probably sounds silly but he loves being out with me whilst photographing and when I have been brave enough to let him have a go, he has shown an eye for a nice image.

Don't want to spend over £150 all in.

Cheers bud.

I know it probably sounds silly but he loves being out with me whilst photographing and when I have been brave enough to let him have a go, he has shown an eye for a nice image.

Don't want to spend over £150 all in.

Something like this would probably be perfect

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sony-cyber-shot-h200-black-digital-camera/p1535252

It's certainly not stupid there are a few members on here who's kids are quite young and some are turning into really good little photographers (y)

Last edited:
I've been through this as I've 4 kids.

Hannah (my eldest) is now 13 and can use my old 40D but when she was about 4 or 5 I gave her my old Canon Ixus II. It was built like a tank and whilst it was modest in terms of resolution I was relaxed enough to let her do her own thing without me feeling the need to 'babysit' her.

When she was bit older she started using my Ixus 80i which she got to grips with pretty quickly.

I think at 4 years of age it's about enjoyment and the freedom to let them loose without giving you a heart attack.

You can always share a session with dad's big camera on the tripod.

Thanks guys for the input. I agree, I should feel confident in something that I'm not to concerned about as I can see a few drops and scrapes happening.

Let's see lol

Cheers

Mark

Nothing wrong in a 4 yr old wanting to imitate dad and so many do. I would however hold back on getting a fairly expensive camera for a child of that age. If you could show him other people using compact cameras and explain to him the pictures are just as good with one, he might accept something a bit different from dads.

I got mine a 450D with kit lens, she doesn't use it much but was very happy to have a proper camera.

A 20D is madness IMVHO.

My niece bought her kids cameras from Toys-r-us and as I remember they have quite a good selection.

I thought I'd replied but nevermind.

anyway for a 4 y./o I wouldn't bother at all! madness I tell thee!! :bonk:
even a small DSLR is too faffy and heavy and likely to be dropped :shrug:
so I would go for a compact
something like this http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-ft25-digital-camera-blue/p1535188

then you actually have a compact in the house that's okay, can take some knocks, waterproof etc. can take on holiday into the pool etc. and is almost kiddy proof.
makes buying it worthwhile imho.

I think once he sees that he can easily take photos and review it then he'll like it
also there is no protruding lens to be banged about.

Last edited:
One of the rugged compacts (although, after a bad experience with an Olympus, I wouldn't recommend a Tough...) should do the job. You might find a Canon D10 2nd hand for the budget then you can show him that he badge is the same as yours. (It takes very good photos too!)

IMO, bridges and SLRs are too fragile and won't survive the bumps and scrapes that are likely, so something without sticky out lenses would be my choice.

I have a olympus u tough that is dedigned to be waterproof and take hard nocks. I have used it underwater and it is waterproof. No hesitation at all in letting the kids use it.

A quick look on fleabay show some cheap deals,

Dave

With all due respect, wether it's right for the child depends on the child, if you have a kid that trashes everying don't get them fragile things (unless you can afford it and am trying to teach them respect for thoer toys).

It was right for my daughter but not for my son

A cheap old bridge camera would also look like 'Daddy's camera' pretty much too. Wouldn't weigh as much either as I think a proper dslr would be too heavy.

Cheers all for the input. I'm not going to go with an slr style camera. I'll go with a compact that can take a few drops and resist sticky fingers etc. but I want hi to experience it and have fun as he really loves watching me take photographs.

Once again, thanks for the input..!

Cheers all for the input. I'm not going to go with an slr style camera. I'll go with a compact that can take a few drops and resist sticky fingers etc. but I want hi to experience it and have fun as he really loves watching me take photographs.

Once again, thanks for the input..!

I think that is probably all round the best move (y) I hope if I ever have sprogs they'll share my love of photography :D

Don,t be so tight,buy him a 5DMK 3(y):LOL:

Shouldn't this be in the Classified Section - Swap or Trade?? :LOL::LOL:

Seriously, Any well built compact should do the trick.
An SLR would probably be too heavy.
Have you thought of a Lumix CSC?
They are small, light and capable of great results

Mike

Back