Camera for auditions and headshots?

Edit My Images
No
I need a budget camera for recording auditions (I’m an actor) and shooting headshots. I previously used Nikon d5000 with 18-105 lens. Loved it for stills but video was crap.
Is there a Nikon that’s decent for video that’s under 500 quid used? Like the d7200 but heard video was bad, but perhaps that’s for more complex movements whereas auditions don’t involve too much movement so would it cope without losing focus?
Also the canon m50 was appealing but the 55-200 lens doesn’t suit my video needs as I need to be closer?
Any advice much appreciated!!!

Last edited:
I've never heard of a Canon d5000.
If you stayed with Canon, then an 80d would probably be your best bet for your budget (used). It has dual pixel af which works well for video.

The Nikon d5200 is ok for video. Not amazing but certainly good enough for headshots and little movement. Ive recorded lots of "talking head" videos with it without issue. Best to use manual focus though and focus on a point rather than rely on the autofocus.

Also the canon m50 was appealing but the 55-200 lens doesn’t suit my video needs as I need to be closer?
Any advice much appreciated!!!

The M50 normally comes with a 15-45mm kit lens. which would suit your requirement, It also has dual pixel auto focus which works very well for video. A lot of youtubers use this combination with good results.

I don't know if I'd point anyone at the Canon M cameras without mentioning that it's possible that Canon may be putting that system on the back burner. The rumor sites are beginning to mention a Canon APS-C RF mount and if that happens I can't see much attention going to M mount. If someone is happy with what's available M wise at the moment then that's fine but the future of the system seems to be possibly under a bit of a question mark.

Last edited:
Back