Camera for beginers

thenutyman21

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I'm new and interested in photography but I'm struggling to find a good camera. I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Nikon d5600, Canon 200d, Fuji or Sony mirrorless systems.
There are cheaper but I cant recommend them because a few moths later you will be making a thread saying I want to upgrade my camera.

Hi
I'm new and interested in photography but I'm struggling to find a good camera. I would be grateful if someone could help me out.
It's such a wide ranging thing and you could spend £100 or £20,000 on something perfect or completely unsuitable :D

Maybe you could start at the beginning and say what you want to take pictures of and what you want to achieve?

For example if you want to get into still photography and video or just still photography and if you want to be able to change lenses or aren't bothered... and what subject you want to take pictures of.... People shots? Landscape? Action shots? Macro? A mix of everything? How much are you willing to spend??? Do you want to make pictures the size of a barn door or just post on line?

Questions questions.... but the more info you give the better advice you'll get :D

Last edited:
Assuming that you mean digital? They're all good, sort of. See what's it like in your hand (ergonomics). And what's it like to look through in various lights? Hopefully it would have a viewfinder of some sort, optical or electronic.

Big learning curve - settings, menus, the principles of photography to do with focus, light, etc.

See photos you like and try to find out how they were done. Learning to look is a start. Learning to look photographically is a next step. And find out about shutterspeed, aperture and ISO ...

Hi

Hi & welcome to TP

As advised above, the question you ask is such an open one that no one can even start to guide you.

So to boil it down:-
1) you say you are interested in photography ~ what is it that attracts your attention & inspires you to photograph it???

2) unfortunately the money question is there ~ just how much do you wish to spend?

With some feedback from you on those 2 questions the TP folk can start to give you pointers to what can and has been for many a lifetime of taking pictures, you are at age when technology is still moving in regard to "who can be 100% sure what sort of camera you will be using in 20 years let alone 40 years time.

Whatever the advice and your decision (no one can tell you what to buy......as personal choice as to what suits you is key......) enjoy the hobby and the satisfaction it can give you :)

PS once you start taking pictures there are lots of folk hereabouts to give helpful advice to help you improve based on pictures you post here asking for support.

Last edited:
Define "good"

As any new camera will allow you to take a "good" photograph.

It depends on who's pressing the shutter.

First thing is to decide on a budget you want to spend on a camera.
Second, is to find out the spec that suits your needs.
Third, narrow the ones interested in down to 3/4.
Fourth,go into a camera shop and get a hands on feel.
Fifth ignore the first four and get one you really want

So many options. What type of stuff do you want to shoot, are you wanting a compact camera, DSLR, Mirrorless etc etc? What type of budget are you looking at?

No such thing as a 'good' camera, or a 'bad' camera.... only good and bad photographers, and more of less appropriate cameras for the job they are trying to tackle.

Folk have been taking photo's for almost 200 years; during that time a very many of the master-pieces of the art have been taken with cameras that to modern eyes would seem like a load of rubbish! YET they took master-pieces with them.... Hmmmm

Oh-Kay... as has been suggested, you tell us very little of what your starting level is, or what your aspirations may be, or what sort of subjects you are interested in.... back-to-top... no such thing as a bad camera, just an inappropriate one.

We could suggest a really really fantastic professional grade SLR.... this might to many be a fantastic camera... BUT if you don't know the first thing about how to use it, let alone get the most from it, worse still, have the wrong sort of lens for what you are trying to do, no better and in many ways a lot worse than suggesting you try a mobile-phone... especially if you have been convinced you need to spend a lot of money to get some-thing so inappropriate for your needs....

As you say you are interested in photography, we have to assume you are essentially a beginner; BUT, these days, with a camera in almost every mobile phone, in almost every-one's pocket, you probably aren't SO much of an absolute beginner...

When I was a kid... my first camera was a 110 cartridge Instamatic 'point and press'... it was a good camera... for me... aged 7.... I ran around and pointed it at stuff and pressed! Got smudgy, wonky, out of focus prints back because I didn't know what I was doing... asked why; got told to hold the camera straight, use the flash in the dark, etc, and started to learn.

My O/H's now seven year old grand-daughter, has been running around with a mobile phone since she could walk! {Kids these days, ALWAYS have to run before they can walk, don't they! Lol} .... If I gave her a 'cheap' point and press digital compact, she'd probably look at me sideways and ask me why I had given her a 'toy' when she expected a fancy DSLR like my daughter's got!

It ACTUALLY probably wouldn't be such a stupid idea though; my daughters now at uni studying photo at degree level; she started out at about three or four years old told to go 'play' with my cheap digi-compact point and press, and had been at this 'photo-lark' a decade when she elected to study the subject for GCSE, and expected to go 'play' with fancy DSLR's... and ended up doing most of her class-work with a camera-phone, and learning not what she expected, all about f-stops and shutter speeds and ISO settings, BUT the rules of composition; posing a subject; lighting, and 'critique'... it took her a year of academic photography before she 'needed' a DSLR, and even then, a lot of it was just to understand what she was doing and give her more to critique, and she was still doing an awful lot with a camera-phone, or point and shoot... and finding how to exploit even that.

There's an old adage, "The BEST camera, is always the one you have in your hand when you want to take a photo"

Which is very much an over-simplification, but it does hold true. And as a place to start; then, I am going to assume that you have a camera-phone; so get it in your hand! Its there, its available, and you don't have to go shopping! JUST use it.

From that.... work out where you are struggling... what cant you do that you hope to.... there's a very good chance that its NOT the camera-phone holding you back.. as said, daughters entire 1st year of GCSE photo was using one, and if you check on here and or on flikr groups and elsewhere, you will see some of the absolutely STUNNING photo's some folk take with nothing more elaborate than one; they get them with good technique and a little know how, NOT a fancy or expensive camera.

It could, in the enormous bag of compromise, that is photography, be the all-round 'best' camera for you. But, beyond that... we cant suggest anything much more suitable for anything without you telling us first, where you are struggling, and what you hope to achieve, and how much you have or are prepared to spend.... back to you, really... BUT don't sweat the small stuff... remember ANY camera can be the 'best' camera if you know what you want to do with it.. and have it in your hand when you want to do it!

OK - what's your budget, what kind of pictures do you want to take and what do you want to do with them afterwards?

Answers to those 3 questions will make all the difference to giving a sensible reply.

OK - what's your budget, what kind of pictures do you want to take and what do you want to do with them afterwards?

Answers to those 3 questions will make all the difference to giving a sensible reply.

"Photos of my family, especially my 3 year old, my pet, a bit of landscapes, I also like to shoot stars at night and birds too on the weekend and I have £200, I can stretch to £300." :p

I am kidding….or am I?

Back