Camera for Concerts

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
My friend is looking to step up in the camera world from his point and shoot and is looking for something mainly to take pictures of gigs but also to use as a better general camera. He is not fussed with the size and has £500 to spend.

The obvious limitations with gigs being low light so any one have any ideas on the best way to go with this sort of budget? Many thanks

Hi, Im no expert when it comes to gig photography but in my opinion the best option for low light on a budget would be a second hand prime lens coupled with a good second hand body.

I have always been a canon user so for me it would probably be something like a 40D aprox £250 with either a used sigma 50mm 1.4 if the average venue was fairly small, or if larger venues are the norm, a used canon 100mm f2 another great lens both go for aprox £250 used. Alternatively a Samyang 85mm 1.4 mf could be an option, as the low lighting is not always helpful for auto focusing anyway.

As for Nikon, Im sure they too would offer a comparable body and prime lens for similar funds, but I believe prime is definitely the way to go which ever body is purchased.
Just have to be accurate on the focusing when wide open, especially at f1.4 which is a challenge in low light.

Pete

You don't need anything exotic. I manage fine with a 50mm f/1.8. They're widely available for under £100. Use spot metering and there's usually more than enough light available even at low rent venues.

Thanks guys, I did initially think of a 600d with a kit lens and then get the 50mm but then though is this being a bit single minded and are there any csc's or other better options. thanks for your help guys

I can't comment on the 600D beyond the fact that I've seen some superb pictures that were taken with one. I shoot Nikon myself. Avoid the kit lenses from either brand. I'm not saying they're bad lenses just that they're not fast enough for gig photography, except maybe outdoors in the daytime.

assuming that he doesn't have a photo pass he may well struggle to get a DSLR into a gig.
So, you want a compact with a big sensor for low light - how about a Sony RX100?
Zoom is only up to ~112mm equivalent which won't be great unless he's reasonably close to the stage but it also does very good video.

Thanks guys, he is a musician and plays the gigs so assume he will be able to get stage side to take.

assuming that he doesn't have a photo pass he may well struggle to get a DSLR into a gig.

It depends a lot on the size of the venue. I only do small gigs, but I've never had any problems.

From the Nikon camp I would look at the D5100 and either the AF-s 35 f1.8 or AF-s 50 f1.8. The older AFD 50 f1.8 won't autofocus on the D5100.

I personally use a D200 with a 35 f1.8. The D200 is fairly old and struggles in low light.

I took the wifes 650D and my 50 f1.4 to a school play, with similar lighting to concerts only slower, and got some great shots. The 650D has all cross point focussing and good ISO handling, I shot up to 12800 for test shots and up to 6400 for the play. I had no problems getting a shot of the kids running across the stage a lot quicker than most misicians move. I also took my 85 f1.8 and found that gave me some great shots but was a bit too long for what I needed.

I've photographed a few gigs with my Lumix GF3 and a 20mm F1.7 / 45mm F1.8 combo. Whole lot can be had for under £500 if buying used.

The most important consideration for me for shooting gigs would be a fast prime lens. Secondary consideration would be a camera body that can do high ISO with minimal noise.

The most important consideration for me for shooting gigs would be a fast prime lens. Secondary consideration would be a camera body that can do high ISO with minimal noise.

A bit of a challenge for £500 I know but that's the budget. I am swayed to advise Him to go the 600d with kit lens for general and then get the 50mm 1.8 for gigs. Not ideal but maybe a fair starting point. At least he will have somewhere to go with upgrading

Back